Ahess12

I am not sure what to do. Cr-1/adjustment of status

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I got married 5 months ago. He got in on a limited stay of two weeks the last time he was here to visit, and we got married at the courthouse. Since then, we started the Cr-1 Application and we are to the point where we are putting together the Affidavit Of Support package to send out to NVC. My husband got a another two week vacation from work on the 8th of August and so he left that day on the plane. He was scheduled to leave on the 23rd of August but because of delays he decided to push back his departure to that following Monday. When Monday came around he again pushed back his departure to Thursday (tomorrow). My husband is Canadian, so unless otherwise stated by a border patrol officer he can legally stay in the US for 6 months in a year. On his last trip when we got married the patrol officer put in his passport that he could only stay for 2 weeks. This time the patrol officer didn't put anything in his return date section but the stamp says Feb 7, 2015 which is 6 months from his arrival here. Because my husband was told he could only legally be here for 2 weeks his last vacation we didn't even think about the possibility of applying for adjustment of status. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea for my husband to just stay here now and apply for adjustment of status rather than finishing the Cr-1 application? Could he stay with me during the process of adjustment of status? Also, if he told the border patrol officer he'd be back in 2 weeks and he stays longer than that will they consider that lying when and if he passes back through? It's just so hard having to say goodbye over and over again and being separated for months at a time but only being able to see each other for a couple weeks at a time. What should I do?

Ashley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.