Brian1977

DCF london tax transcripts and house valuation for i-864

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My husband has his medical booked for next week and we've successfully completed the DS260, so I figure we could have an appointment within the next month or so.

I had a laugh at the 'are you a member of the communist party?' question. That sounds like something right out of the 50s. You'd think they'd update it to reflect groups that have actually been active and an actual threat since the 1970s- but I digress.

But anyway, in completing the i-864, I was confused by the guidance as to whether or not we need tax transcripts.

I have lived in the UK for 10 years and have photocopies of my last three year 1040 and f2555 forms. The older ones are hand written but the 2013 was filed online and I have the printout. I tried to apply online for tax transcripts, but probably because my address is in the UK it didn't work. I applied by post, but who knows if it will actually make it to the UK.

Does London require tax transcripts, or do you think my online confirmation, 1040, plus the older signed 1040's and reciepts from the post office confirming delivery will be sufficient?

Our other question relates to assets. We are selling our house in London and would need to rely on assets alone as the nil returns and the fact I will obviously be quitting my UK job means that I had to say our income is 'zero.'

Thanks to the crazy housing bubble down here, we should have $150,000 after we pay off the mortgage. We have had our house valued by a local estate agent who is preparing it for sale, but the guidance said to have it valued by a licensed appraiser. Does this mean that we will have to have a survey done like they do for mortgages? Equally, we purchased our house in the USA back in May, so if they accept our closing papers on that as a valuation, it should bring the amount up to over $200K.

Will they be OK with us relying totally on assets, or will it be a good idea to have my dad act as a co-sponsor as well?

Regarding re-establishing domicile in the USA, we have purchased a house in the USA- do we need the actual deed (its in the USA), or our printed electronic copies of our closing papers enough to prove ownership? (we did the purchase remotely from the UK, so everything's pdf). We also have utility bills that we're paying and will include the letter from our estate agent and the brochure for our house in London indicating that it is for sale. Is there anything else that people have found helpful? I don't really want to quit my job and move over first, as trying to pay our mortgage in the UK with US dollars until we sell the UK house will be painful to say the least! Would it be a good idea to get a quote from moving/shipping companies to bring with us as well?

I never know if when they mean 'original documents' they just mean birth certificates, marriage certificate and such, or if they mean EVERYTHING.

You are probably all laughing at how paranoid I am about this, and I hope I will laugh at myself too when its all over, but I'd hate to delay everything for not bringing a piece of paper that I could have chased up before hand.

cheers,

Brian

Since you haven't gotten an answer, I will offer what little I can. I follow the UK forum and have for a long time so know the occasional DCF person.

London will not be so strict about requiring a tax transcript over a tax return. They have also not been overly strict about domicile. What you have sounds sufficient. Some are never even asked about it.

I can't really speculate on an unsold house as an asset. Maybe. You could have a joint sponsor's things with you and if the officer did not accept your asset presentation, then you could pull out Plan B.

Copies/photocopies? They generally accept photocopies of tax items, bank statements, income related items and want to see originals of birth certificate, marriage license, police certificate, and signed I-864 forms.

London has extensive FAQs on the I-864 which should help you with their expectations. http://london.usembassy.gov/faqs-i864.html

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks Nick- that sounds like good advice. I'll have my dad complete his forms just in case. The guidance seems to indicate that houses are OK, but it does seem that without having any substantial 'cash,' to declare they might be a bit iffy.

I've also read in many people's timelines about London not even checking tax forms, but I wasn't sure if this was an anomoly.

cheers,

Brian

Thanks Nick- that sounds like good advice. I'll have my dad complete his forms just in case. The guidance seems to indicate that houses are OK, but it does seem that without having any substantial 'cash,' to declare they might be a bit iffy.

I've also read in many people's timelines about London not even checking tax forms, but I wasn't sure if this was an anomoly.

cheers,

Brian

For a K1 (non immigrant visa), tax forms are not required with the I-134. Any proof of income works for London.

But your I-864 (for immigrant visa) clearly requires a tax return, transcript, or a statement why filing was not required. It is not optional. They may not appear to pay much notice, but need at least the most recent as stated in the I-864 form instructions. Don't forget Dad must provide proof he is a USC or LPR along with his joint sponsor things.

Did you notice this FAQ that answered your question about appraisal?

You mention property; I own a home in the United Kingdom, which I will sell if my relative is issued an immigrant visa. How can I show you the value of this property?

You may furnish a valuation of your property from an estate agent, together with a mortgage statement from the mortgage company.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks Nick- that's reassuring about the house.

My dad's completed his forms already- he's the type who seems to enjoy doing taxes for fun and emailed me his tax transcripts and a copy of his passport, Social Security Card and birth certificate. He's posting the original signed form.

Filling out mine, I am putting down my current year to date income in part 6 box 5, even though I don't pay US taxes as its below the threshold. Neither the London guidance nor the instructions are clear about what to do about foreign income sources that are due to terminate when leaving the country, but it just seems common sense not to base an applicaiton on this alone. Equally it seems counterintuitive not to declare it, as it would raise the question as to how we have been supporting ourselves.

My husband is self employed and we could use this as well, but this might cause more confusion than help. Although most of his clients are electronic and 50% are American, he may have to close his UK company and reopen it again as a US company, and thus his income may travel with him, but the company may not.

I will also be including a clear explanation of the steps taken to re-establish residency.

Hopefully they will see sense to understand that we have money in excess of the requirements even if we don't fit into the boxes exactly.

I hope that others find this useful, and I have made a note to remind myself to update this as I get nearer the date and after the interview to see what was helpful and what wasn't so others can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks again!

Brian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.