Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Vietnam Drivers License

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

For those interested I got my VN drivers license a few weeks back. I learned a lot of the info on the net about this is worthless; bad or misinformation.

I learned recently that my medical nor life insurance will cover my wife or myself if we get into a wreck while operating a vehicle in Vietnam without a license. My wife had been driving for years without one. I told the wife get one; she knew someone at the issuing authority in her home town and got issued a license in two weeks. I thought I'd get an international driving permit but Vietnam doesn't recognize them. But you can get your foreign license converted to a VN license. Companies in vietnam report being able to do this for $100; it's waste of money.

You don't need a license for 49cc or less motorcycles in Vietnam so if that suits you no issue but I had bigger so need to take the plunge.

If you have auto and motorcycle endorsements on your state issued license you don't need to take the road tests or do any medical checks. They convert like for like. I was told if I had a CDL they would convert that too.

To get the process started while I was back home I had motorcycle endorsement added to my state license after taking a required 2 day course. I went back to Vietnam and got my VN size passport photo, it's the same size required for the visa. Next went down to the District 1 peoples committee on Le Duan. They just redid this office which now has a touch screen queuing system for services. The peoples committee is a two step process-translation of DL and passport signature certification. You'll need to get your state drivers license photo copied and translated; you pick up the translation the next day and they gave me the address to the VN motor vehicle office. The first day you can also get your passport biometrics page photo copied and certified. All this took on the first day an hour and a half. The second day was 5 minutes to pick up the translation.

Elsewhere online it tells you to get your passport certified at the US embassy; this cost $50 and is not required at least not in HCMC. Also you can download the application form online for the VN license conversion. Don't bother, it's the wrong form, just fill it out when you get there.

Went to the motor vehicle office. Sorry I already forgot the address. I filled out the form and they took a photo of me then paid the fee 130,000dong. I applied for auto and the 175cc motor bike. The guy at the counter asked if I wanted the big bike license and I said no as I don't have one over 175cc. He said it's already on your US license are you sure. I got interested as I also read online you needed to take the road test, have a health check and be a member of a bike club but he said no you already have an unrestricted motorcycle license in the US so you can be issued one here and now. I didn't need this so I didn't get it. They gave me slip to pick it up in one week. One week later I picked it up. Looks just like a US style license in both English and Vietnamese and expires the same day as my 5 year visa exemption. The whole process was fairly easy for Vietnam. One key point is you should bring your Vietnamese speaking spouse or girlfriend with you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.