Anoushka Drew

Divorce Decree digitally signed: Anyone has experienced this?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We seem to unable to get a certified copy from the vital records and we even paid without getting anything.

A certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.

My fiancé was able to talk with some people from Circuit Court and we received an email that says

Acceptability of electronic medium.

A. In connection with civil proceedings in circuit court, any statutory requirement for an original, original paper, paper, record, document, facsimile, memorandum, exhibit, certification, or transcript shall be satisfied if such is in an electronic form approved for filing under the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia. However, this section shall not apply to documents the form of which is specified in any statute governing the creation and execution of wills, codicils, testamentary trusts, premarital agreements, and negotiable instruments.

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any statutory authorization for the use of copies or reproductions in civil proceedings in circuit court shall be satisfied by use of such copies or reproductions in hard copy or electronic form approved for filing under the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia.

(2010, cc. 717, 760.)

so, when my interview comes, aside from those other important documents, I will be bringing the original divorce decree and a printed copy digitally signed by the deputy clerk from the circuit court with document ID which you can verify it online.

I hope and pray that this will work.

We seem to unable to get a certified copy from the vital records and we even paid without getting anything.

A certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.

My fiancé was able to talk with some people from Circuit Court and we received an email that says

Acceptability of electronic medium.

A. In connection with civil proceedings in circuit court, any statutory requirement for an original, original paper, paper, record, document, facsimile, memorandum, exhibit, certification, or transcript shall be satisfied if such is in an electronic form approved for filing under the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia. However, this section shall not apply to documents the form of which is specified in any statute governing the creation and execution of wills, codicils, testamentary trusts, premarital agreements, and negotiable instruments.

B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any statutory authorization for the use of copies or reproductions in civil proceedings in circuit court shall be satisfied by use of such copies or reproductions in hard copy or electronic form approved for filing under the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia.

(2010, cc. 717, 760.)

so, when my interview comes, aside from those other important documents, I will be bringing the original divorce decree and a printed copy digitally signed by the deputy clerk from the circuit court with document ID which you can verify it online.

I hope and pray that this will work.

My divorce was also done by email through Norfolk. I tried to go the same route you did (Vital Records) and got some ridiculous form thing that I knew wouldn't do. In a panic, I called Norfolk, expecting to get a voice recording or something. To my surprise, an actual person answered the phone, asked my case number, and offered to print out the official record and send it to me if I wanted to give her a credit card, or she could give me instructions for doing it by mail. I gave her a credit card and within two days had the printed decree with the judge's signature and the embossed seal.

So, the paperwork is there. You just have to find the number for court records and see what their process is for getting a printout.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.