bluebird74

Taxes 2555/2555EZ?

23 posts in this topic

"To me it was like as if I found money on the street. Would you have reported your finding as income? "

Wel-l-l-l, she says slowly, you mean like the $200 cash the man gave my husband last week for helping him set up his new MacBook Pro. It was a unrelated side job to the home automation reason he went there as a subcontractor on behalf of a business. Yes, I wrote up an invoice strictly for our books of 2 hrs@$85/hr plus sales tax to remit to the state, and the rest coded as "tip". It will be reported as self-employment income. That's just how we roll, but I don't really care if you report or don't.

Being totally honest about that extra money is a good thing. The only difference between your money and the money I made, is that you have a registered business and I don't. Consulting that I have done, can be done from anywhere in the world - provided you have internet access, and since I don't have a registered self-employed business in the States or in Europe, it would be rather difficult to produce an invoice. People who paid for my services, found a way to include my fee in their business expense, and I'm pretty sure they had to lie about it. I think there are pros and cons in reporting extra money made in cash, and I'm sure you or your husband didn't lose any money by reporting that $200 ;) Long time ago, as a second part-time job, I used to do pick-ups and deliveries for a local shop. I was paid in cash, because it was more convenient for the owner to do so. I didn't mind reporting it as income and paying taxes on it, but I couldn't do it without getting that man in trouble.

I appreciate the time you gave me and I thank you for clarifying some things to me as well. Although, producing a letter of explanation why I didn't file my tax returns, would most likely be enough. I think, filing my "0" income tax returns would be safer. This way I will have a IRS stamped returns to show.

P.S. Your husband installs home automation systems? My friend used to do this when it first started coming out. I used to help him some. Those things are nice, but some things are too much. Although, it's nice when you're able to switch off a socket to which an iron is connected to and you left the house. Haha.

I really, really promise I don't care how you solve your problem or sort your money. Really I understand you've got an odd predicament. Just started out as info on the Form 2555 which I am experienced with. So if you claim no income, you don't need the form. If you claim earning money, you exclude it with the form and still end up with zero tax owed.

My husband has a a part time gig with a high end home entertainment business. After the installers have run cables and hooked up equipment, he configures the networks and wireless access points so these mansions can get wireless all over their huge homes. And he programs their iPads so one interface basically drives whatever they want---Tvs, bluRay, projector, Wii, xBox, lights, thermostats, locks, cameras, or music for the pool or tennis court. Most have media rooms so they pick up their iPad and hit one button that says "watch movie" and the programming turns on the project, receiver, surround sound, accesses their media library, then dims the lights. He enjoys the challenge of getting all the systems to talk to each other. Each job is different. One man has 5 TVs in his media room with both cable and dish so he can have four football games plus Sports Center going and switch them about to the big screen in the center using his iPad. Another has six TVs plus a projector just on his patio. So my husband has fun with other people's toys a few afternoon's a week. The extra jobs come when they ask him to come back and do IT work like set up their printer, email, new computer, or private tutoring on how to use their iPhones.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My husband has a a part time gig with a high end home entertainment business. After the installers have run cables and hooked up equipment, he configures the networks and wireless access points so these mansions can get wireless all over their huge homes. And he programs their iPads so one interface basically drives whatever they want---Tvs, bluRay, projector, Wii, xBox, lights, thermostats, locks, cameras, or music for the pool or tennis court. Most have media rooms so they pick up their iPad and hit one button that says "watch movie" and the programming turns on the project, receiver, surround sound, accesses their media library, then dims the lights. He enjoys the challenge of getting all the systems to talk to each other.

Yep, that's exactly what my friend did. There's good money in it. I wouldn't mind having a few things automated like that, but somethings are too much. With all the technology available out there, we begin to use our muscles and brain less and less ;)

If below, then you don't have to file.

Foreign income is self reported. No pay slips are included. IRS does not have the resources to go after a piddly return. Anyway, Is it better to report something or nothing in the eyes of the IRS if audited. And did you keep a record of how much cash you took? Where will you get the numbers?

Examples I have written before in other posts. Use to craft your own.

--------

Your name

Affidavit of Support for [spouse], LNDxxxxxxxxx

STATEMENT OF WHY I DID NOT FILE A TAX RETURN

According to IRS publication 501-Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, I was not required to file an individual tax return. for the years 2010, 2011, and 2012 for the following reasons:

in 2012, I earned $355.23 and therefore did not meet the threshold for filing a tax return.

in 2011, I earned $0.00 and therefore did not meet the threshold for filing a tax return.

In 20010, ........etc

---------

I decided to use one of the templates you have provided. I used the last one (see above). This is what I did:

"According to IRS publication 501-Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, I was not required to file an individual tax return for the years 2011, 2012, and 2013 for the following reasons:

In 2013, I earned $376.00 and therefore did not meet the threshold of $10,000 for filing a tax return.

In 2012, I was unemployed and earned $0.00. Therefore did not meet the threshold of $9,750 for filing a tax return.

In 2011, I was unemployed and earned $0.00. Therefore did not meet the threshold of $9,500 for filing a tax return."

Does that look ok, or should I use the other form?

I decided to use one of the templates you have provided. I used the last one (see above). This is what I did:

"According to IRS publication 501-Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, I was not required to file an individual tax return for the years 2011, 2012, and 2013 for the following reasons:

In 2013, I earned $376.00 and therefore did not meet the threshold of $10,000 for filing a tax return.

In 2012, I was unemployed and earned $0.00. Therefore did not meet the threshold of $9,750 for filing a tax return.

In 2011, I was unemployed and earned $0.00. Therefore did not meet the threshold of $9,500 for filing a tax return."

Does that look ok, or should I use the other form?

Looks fine. There is nothing special about the examples I provided. They all were out of my head so basically just tell them however you want to. Giving the figures lets them know you looked it up and know the requirements. (You did look those up on IRS website?? ) if you were married in any of those years, then you have given single taxpayer figures.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Looks fine. There is nothing special about the examples I provided. They all were out of my head so basically just tell them however you want to. Giving the figures lets them know you looked it up and know the requirements. (You did look those up on IRS website?? ) if you were married in any of those years, then you have given single taxpayer figures.

Yes, I looked it up in the instructions and have taken the $ figures, based on that year's currency exchange rates. No, I was not married during the 2013 tax year. I have modified the letter a little, so it tells the IRS I do know about the unearned income as well.

In 2013, I was mostly unemployed. My combined earned and unearned income was: $376.00. Therefore, did not meet the threshold of $10,000 for filing a tax return.

In 2012, I was unemployed. My combined earned and unearned income was: $0.00. Therefore, did not meet the threshold of $9,750 for filing a tax return.

In 2011, I was unemployed. My combined earned and unearned income was: $0.00. Therefore, did not meet the threshold of $9,500 for filing a tax return."

I hope this will suffice. Otherwise, they will certainly put their decision making on hold - until I provide my taxes. Just a thought, should this letter be taken to the local IRS office for some official approval and stamp, or it can my wife just take it straight to her interview along with my and co-sponsor's 864?

It's a personal statement from you. I can't see why IRS would stamp it.

Have you filled out your I-864?

Attach it to the end.

Go back to what the instructions say.

" If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. "

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

It's a personal statement from you. I can't see why IRS would stamp it.

Have you filled out your I-864?

Attach it to the end.

Go back to what the instructions say.

" If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. "

That's right, I forgot about that. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.