TimeTravel

Is it mandatory to submit 3 years IRS tax return transcript with N-400?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I would be eligible to file N-400 in early Jan 2015, but by that time, I would have only two taxes filed ( 2012 & 2013 ). Would it be possible to submit the 2014 tax return at the interview?

or any alternate for this situation?

Thank you!

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You don't need to have filed 2014 taxes if your interview falls before Tax Day - usually 4/15 - or if you have filed for an extension, should the interview fall after that date. In other words, you must be current with your tax situation at the time of your interview.

Good luck.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You don't need to have filed 2014 taxes if your interview falls before Tax Day - usually 4/15 - or if you have filed for an extension, should the interview fall after that date. In other words, you must be current with your tax situation at the time of your interview.

Good luck.

Thank you for the clarification. Just re-confirming that it would be fine to submit 2012 & 2013 tax returns with N-400?

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

JohnR is almost completely correct. However, to be clear and to answer your questions:

1) You generally cannot owe taxes and be considered a person of good moral character; however

2) There is no requirement to submit tax filings with your application unless

3) You are:

a) speifically asked to do so by a Request for Evidence and/or

b) you are filing under the three-year statute and are submitting them under the USCIS-recommended documentation demonstrating an on-going marriage and co-habitation with a US citizen

I don't want your suffering! I don't want your future!
I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 21-July-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Application Dispatched to USCIS
30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Application
31-MAR-14: N-400 Application Received by USCIS
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS
07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched
07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated
08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received
14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment
29-MAY-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

06-JUN-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled
05-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated
11-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Initial Interview - Decision Could Not Be Made
16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Requested to supply specific evidence documentation

17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Follow-up Interview
17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Specific evidence documentation submitted in person during follow-up interview

21-JUL-14: Application for Naturalisation approved

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling
00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled
00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated
00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received
00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date
00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched
00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Thank you for the clarification. Just re-confirming that it would be fine to submit 2012 & 2013 tax returns with N-400?

Correct. If these two are the only years for which you had to file you'll not be asked for further tax evidence.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.