Ulag_Darquel

Travelling under 2 year green card

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, I have browsed over the guides and have seen if you are under conditional residentcy and wish to travel abroad you need to file I- 131, but it also says that i have the rights of a permanent resident.

I want to go home for 3 months, my 2 year card expires 10/28/07 so at the 7/28/07 i will begin to file, this is well before that i see no problem there.

Unfortunately i bought the ticket for the 5th of Feb today is the 18th of Jan , it is important i go Asap.

Will i have to apply for the I-131 or does my greencard get me back to the US, (Noticed they are on the 16th Oct 2006 for AP forms )and while in my home country (Which i am still a citizen) i would like to seek employment. Since i am a U.S. resident will i have to file anything to be able to work back while on vaction.

Edited by Ulag_Darquel

Hello, I have browsed over the guides and have seen if you are under conditional residentcy and wish to travel abroad you need to file I- 131, but it also says that i have the rights of a permanent resident.

I want to go home for 3 months, my 2 year card expires 10/28/07 so at the 7/28/07 i will begin to file, this is well before that i see no problem there.

Unfortunately i bought the ticket for the 5th of Feb today is the 18th of Jan , it is important i go Asap.

Will i have to apply for the I-131 or does my greencard get me back to the US, (Noticed they are on the 16th Oct 2006 for AP forms )and while in my home country (Which i am still a citizen) i would like to seek employment. Since i am a U.S. resident will i have to file anything to be able to work back while on vaction.

You should have no problems. I went back home to Australia last August, on a conditional Green Card. Mine expires in August of this year and it was a breeze getting back in to the US.

Having said that, I did experience a problem with Qantas at check in on my return flight back home (to the US). The girl at the check in obviously had no idea about immigration procedures and told me I would not be able to enter the US because I have my maiden name on my passport and married name on my Green Card. I brought a certified copy of my marriage certificate just in case this was an issue, luckily. She asked to see my US passport (which of course does not exist because I am an Aus citizen!!). It was enough to unnerve me the whole flight home and turned out to be nothing, fortunately. US immigration didn't bat an eyelash and swiped my card and I was through in 5 seconds. :thumbs:

~Suzie~

Removal of Conditions

NOA1 - June 18, 2007

BIO - July 20, 2007

'TOUCHED' - April 2, 2008, again on April 3, 2008........

Card Production Ordered May 15, 2008

CARD ARRIVES MAY 19, 2008 - WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much for the help :D , it is also great to see another aussie who took my same path.

So I'll be on my way with my conditional green card. ;)

Good Lord your from Brisbane, i was on the Sunshine coast, small world eh, god my family will kill me when they hear that aussie/southern drall, a family of smartasses.

(same name on the passport, and the green card for that matter)

*ponders if he can work, while away* *grin*

Edited by Ulag_Darquel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.