Sparkles2013

Help with Police Record

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question about the police record checks. I have had the same perminant address my whole life. I have never registered any other address with the government. However, I did move out for a period of 4 school years to a city about 1.5 hours away while i attended university. Do i need to get a police check for that city as well? I held a lease there, but always kept my perminant address as my home town.

any advice would be much appreciated!

Timeline

oops, i think i answered my own question. My local police service does not offer the appropriate check for Visas. From them, i obtained the name of a company that can do a country wide search.

If you're in Canada, here is a list http://www.morpho.com/morpho-in-canada/find-out-more-about-our-canadian-services/canada-locations/?lang=en
And here is a RCMP list http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/rtid-itr/vulner-eng.htm

Edited by Sparkles2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Sparkles- I think I'm a little confused here.

I'm similar to you.. I generally just keep my address with my Mom's address.. however have lived a few places all within 2 hours of eachother.

When I went to the police dept where I'm living now.. and asked them about it.. They said that they have some kind of connection with the police dept in the other main place I lived and will be able to print a criminal record check showing anything on file in both places?

Is this not going to be enough for the interview? They need a country wide check? I always assumed just the regular criminal record check that you get at the police station for employers etc would be sufficient?????

oops, i think i answered my own question. My local police service does not offer the appropriate check for Visas. From them, i obtained the name of a company that can do a country wide search.

If you're in Canada, here is a list http://www.morpho.com/morpho-in-canada/find-out-more-about-our-canadian-services/canada-locations/?lang=en
And here is a RCMP list http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/rtid-itr/vulner-eng.htm

Feb 2013- Met Online- started chatting.secret7vf.gif

March 2013- Met in person..started dating.heart.gifrose.gif

December 5th,2013- Filed 129Freading.gif

December 19th- Alien number change.dancin5hr.gif

December 20th (approx)- Received NOA1idea9dv.gif

Have since been ANXIOUSLY awaitting ANY kind of change.. or news. :clock:

NOTTA...for 6 months... Grrr (almost lost my mind) :ranting:

JUNE 16TH 2014- NOA2 APPROVED- YAYYYYYYYY :D

JULY 1ST 2014- NVC RECEIVED OUR CASE! B-)

AUGUST 5TH 2014- MEDICAL :innocent:

AUGUST 20TH 2014- INTERVIEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! :dance:

AUGUST 20th 2014- APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!! :energy:

~~moved to Canada forum from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as question is regionally specific~~

You get them to check CPIC, a Canada wide name check (or get the fingerprinted if you've ever been convicted of a crime.) Yes it's the same regular criminal record check for employers etc...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

~~moved to Canada forum from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as question is regionally specific~~

You get them to check CPIC, a Canada wide name check (or get the fingerprinted if you've ever been convicted of a crime.) Yes it's the same regular criminal record check for employers etc...

ok thank you so much for clarifying- do you know how recent the CPIC needs to be for the interview- like is this something I could get now while I'm waitting to hear from the consulate?

Timeline

They're valid for 1 year at both consulates.

wooowhoo- thanks for the info!!!

Timeline

That's good to know- i had conflicting information from my local police.. I went to the website for my local police, and it said something along the lines of "the XXX police service does NOT preform background checks meeting the requirements for immigration/ visas. Please see (link) here."

That is how i ended up at the RCMP website. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/rtid-itr/vulner-eng.htm
then i picked an organization from that list (i picked the one closest to my house) and called them up. The stated that their check was suitable for immigration purposes and that i could come in later that day. I went in a few hours later, they electronically scanned my fingers and stated that it would be mailed out within 3 business day (providing i didn't have any criminal history- which i do not)and that i should have it in my hands in less than a week. It cost $80. I read Stalyn's guide and it looked like this was consistent with what she has shared.

Just my experience! :)

Timeline

Hey Sparkles- I think I'm a little confused here.

I'm similar to you.. I generally just keep my address with my Mom's address.. however have lived a few places all within 2 hours of eachother.

When I went to the police dept where I'm living now.. and asked them about it.. They said that they have some kind of connection with the police dept in the other main place I lived and will be able to print a criminal record check showing anything on file in both places?

Is this not going to be enough for the interview? They need a country wide check? I always assumed just the regular criminal record check that you get at the police station for employers etc would be sufficient?????

Hey! Just double check with your local police first.. here is what mine said (see pic)

post-171886-0-85219000-1404700769_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparkles2013

I went to my local police office (the RCMP detachment) and got the police check for $25.

I walked in, said I needed a Canada wide name check, 20 mins later had it in my hand.

If they say no to immigration, it may be for Canada immigration not US immigration.

Also commissionaires normally do it for at most $50. $80 seems to be really steep.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.