rob11715

Pre-Interview Case File Review, Yellow Letter - Odd and Incorrect

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife applied for citizenship and received this letter today.

The Incorrect part states: "You indicated on your application that you have been arrested, cited or detained"... and goes on to say to bring all documentation. She's never been "arrested, cited or detained" and answered No to these questions on the form.

The Odd part says: "Please bring your voter's registration card and provide documentation obtained from the local election authority documenting your voting history." How can she vote if she's not a citizen??? Who knows, maybe they would be incompetent enough to register her but she did not try to register.

We called USCIS and spoke to a customer service rep but she really wasn't that helpful. She just said it was probably a mistake and tell that at the interview. We think the incorrect information should be corrected before hand. As far as the voter's registration we are just confused.

Any advice? Has anyone else received such a letter?

Any update? I also filed from Chicago. I got same king of letter for voter card and history.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Any update? I also filed from Chicago. I got same king of letter for voter card and history.

We called USCIS again and spoke to an "officer". She claimed that at the interview they will have the original application where my wife indicated she was never arrested, detained... and that she never registered to vote or voted. We'll still print out the voter look up to show her name is not found but we're not so worried about it right now. We were definitely a bit surprised when we first got the letter. She went for her fingerprints and photo already but she still has not received an interview date. I'll try to remember update here with what transpires when she does go.

Thanks for update. Today, my case moved to Interview and Testing step.

I'll take screen print out of Voter look up from websites. I also went local County clerk office and got letter that I never register as voter. Since I was living in Texas before moving here. I requested same letter from Texas election office. Hope this all will be enough.

Rob11715, Did you file application with New N-400 form (where all information record in the bar-code bottom of each page)? I filed with new N-400 form, it's mandatory to use if file after May 15.

I read so-many places that the new application N-400 form "page information" saved in bar-code at bottom of each page. And digital application information save in the USCIS system by only scanning barcode.

I'm thinking even we answer "No" to relevant questions, but when page scan and system automatically enter information "Yes" by mistake. May be wrong bar-code generated based on different combination of information from same page.

I got two request in yellow letter: Voter registration card and any IRS/Local Taxes overdue. Questions related to both "RFE" are on same page of N-400....

I read somany cases Voter registration and N-400. Most of cases they knew they I applied for Voter registration or they found out in interview. I didn't see any case where they send Yellow letter, apart from your and my case...

• 4 weeks later...

@rob11715, Did your wife had interview? Any update?

I'm schedule for interview. I don't know interview date yet still waiting for interview letter.

My wife applied for citizenship and received this letter today.

The Incorrect part states: "You indicated on your application that you have been arrested, cited or detained"... and goes on to say to bring all documentation. She's never been "arrested, cited or detained" and answered No to these questions on the form.

The Odd part says: "Please bring your voter's registration card and provide documentation obtained from the local election authority documenting your voting history." How can she vote if she's not a citizen??? Who knows, maybe they would be incompetent enough to register her but she did not try to register.

We called USCIS and spoke to a customer service rep but she really wasn't that helpful. She just said it was probably a mistake and tell that at the interview. We think the incorrect information should be corrected before hand. As far as the voter's registration we are just confused.

Any advice? Has anyone else received such a letter?

• 1 month later...

Until I read your post I thought I was the only person in the world who got this. My yellow letter is identical. It also asks for DL or State ID.

Bad news is that it's hard to figure out what triggered this part with the voter's card. After the initial surprise I started digging through old documents to double check every little piece of paper. I went to our local elections office and got a confirmation that I was not registered and they had no records of me whatsoever. I also wrote an email to the DMV and they confirmed that there was no mistake there either. I received the actual interview letter (white color) and it asked for a completly different set of documents (passport, DL, LPR card). Meanwhile I went so far as to request from banks copies of old mortgage applications to ensure that I did not accidentally check anything wrong there. And I haven't.

The most idiotic thing (shall we call it coincidence or I don't know what to call it) is that the same day when I got the interview letter, I received jury duty summons.....crazy, right? So I promptly went online to the court house's website and submitted a request to get disqualified. I specified that I'm not a citizen as a reason for the disqualification. Within an hour a person wrote me back an email that I was disqualified and there was no need to appear. I used that as an opportunity to ask how this even happened and I got an answer that they assembled their records from the DMV and voter's registration records. Anyways I saved and printed all this communication, got the letter from election department certified, actually got so nuts that I went there twice to check again, and checked it online perhaps 10 times :)

My interview is a month from now. I'll let you know how it goes in case you don't have your interview earlier.

Hi Sandi123, Did you had interview, how it went? I got same yellow letter stating to bring My Voter Registration card (I never registered to vote). I have interview next week.

We called USCIS again and spoke to an "officer". She claimed that at the interview they will have the original application where my wife indicated she was never arrested, detained... and that she never registered to vote or voted. We'll still print out the voter look up to show her name is not found but we're not so worried about it right now. We were definitely a bit surprised when we first got the letter. She went for her fingerprints and photo already but she still has not received an interview date. I'll try to remember update here with what transpires when she does go.

Hi rob11715, how was yours' wife interview went? I have interview next week.

Timeline

Hi All,

No interview date yet. We tried to fill out some type of online inquiry (available when you look at case status) and it would not let us because the case was within normal processing times.

We have to go back and look at our dates and how long other people have been waiting - maybe its our location?

Hi All,

No interview date yet. We tried to fill out some type of online inquiry (available when you look at case status) and it would not let us because the case was within normal processing times.

We have to go back and look at our dates and how long other people have been waiting - maybe its our location?

for Chicago, I sent file in Mid May. And I have interview next week.

Timeline

for Chicago, I sent file in Mid May. And I have interview next week.

We sent my wife's sometime in April. Hopefully we will get an appointment soon. We're near New York City so I assume that's where the interview will be. I just looked at processing times and NYC is 7.5 months compared to the average of 5.5.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I got the same yellow letter on Friday. It has a whole list of things including my taxes (I already sent), voter registration (ridiculous) and other things. I did use the new application form, so maybe the barcode theory is right.

I called USCIS on Friday when I got the letter but they were not helpful at all. The rep put me o hold for 10 minutes, then suggested I talk to a lawyer or make an infopass appointment, so I did - for this Wednesday. But now I'm thinking if it was just a stupid processing mistake I will just be wasting my time driving 1.5 hours to the closest USCIS center.

UGHHH!

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Timeline

My wife finally got her interview date (Nov 6) in Holtsville, NY - not NYC. No mention of the yellow letter or the items in that letter, but she will bring it and be ready to address anything should they even bring it up. At this point we're pretty sure the yellow letter was generated as a result of an erroneous scan of the application.

• 2 weeks later...

I had oath last week. Now I’m citizen.

At interview IO didn't ask for anything. So, I thought they might checked them self or yellow letter was mistake.

I gathered following documents for my interview (in case IO ask for anything).

1. IRS Tax: I went to local IRS office. Officer gave me Account Transcripts for all tax years since I came to USA. Account balance is zero in all transcripts, means I don't own any taxes to the IRS.

2. State Tax: I contact State revenue office. They gave me Tax clearance letter, means I don't own any taxes to the state.

3. Voter registration: I contact local County Clark Election commission office and previous County/state election commission office. They didn't find my record. So, they all gave me letter stating no record found. Means I was never registered for Voting. In my case I lived in more than one state since I came to USA.

I was so worried, I went little extreme and ordered copy of my original DL application from all DMV and my mortgage application. To make sure I didn't do any mistake. This might not need.

Best of luck for interview....

I had oath last week. Now I’m citizen.

At interview IO didn't ask for anything. So, I thought they might checked them self or yellow letter was mistake.

I gathered following documents for my interview (in case IO ask for anything).

1. IRS Tax: I went to local IRS office. Officer gave me Account Transcripts for all tax years since I came to USA. Account balance is zero in all transcripts, means I don't own any taxes to the IRS.

2. State Tax: I contact State revenue office. They gave me Tax clearance letter, means I don't own any taxes to the state.

3. Voter registration: I contact local County Clark Election commission office and previous County/state election commission office. They didn't find my record. So, they all gave me letter stating no record found. Means I was never registered for Voting. In my case I lived in more than one state since I came to USA.

I was so worried, I went little extreme and ordered copy of my original DL application from all DMV and my mortgage application. To make sure I didn't do any mistake. This might not need.

Best of luck for interview....

Congrats

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.