linh1

26 year old VN woman and US man, more info, better organized

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I posted almost a month ago, but I was disorganized and did not follow up well. (Actually, to prepare for me immigrating we were doing necessary six years back US taxes, for three weeks working kind of full time. No taxes owed, just a kilogram of complicated forms to send to America. Anyway, a kind of commitment to doing immigration.) I will give now more details about us, and I will be more diligent this time answering. I begin again, quick summary: 26 year old Vietnamese woman with born in America husband, married for four years. We have great nomad life, but now we are kind of tired that. I am not sure I will like America, and neither is he. He has not been to America since 1990. But anyway, maybe buy a house in north Arkansas, has good trout fishing, sort of cheap land for a nice garden and fruit trees. My husband does not need a job.

BIG THING: We do not want to begin the immigration process too soon and get instant NO. There are many worries, like my miserable education. I am posting on education forum for getting sort of fast AA degree from America. I know about TESC and Charter Oak, and am learning about CLEP. I have 12 college units of ALEKS math.

(E12HCB, it is the dream of about million American fishermen to make living on tying flies. Unfortunately, competition is stiff. For example, Chiang Mai has huge factories with Thai women tying all day, and you can buy on Internet flies in bulk of 100 for 35 cents a fly. I am good tyer, but only about 20 each hour. That is $7 hour. Minus materials. And not benefits. Tying is a wonderful hobby.)

There seems to be some especially negative things about us for visa.

1. The age difference is serious.
2. My family is poster child for nonfunctional. Five siblings, all wrecked marriages, needless huge debts. I could write book, but won’t, just trust me. 2 and ½ years ago, on our second trip to visit my family, they were horrible to us about getting money, and I will never visit again. I do call them every 2 months for five minutes.
3. My husband was last in America in 1990. And he has no family. He jokes if we visit America, we will need a package tour.
4. I am typical very uneducated Vietnamese country girl, but with one year of America high school online.
5. My husband is definitely NOT uneducated.
6. Everything we own will fit into two checked bags and two carry-ons, including all fishing stuff.
7. Honest to god, the permanent address on our New Zealand fishing license is FMT 139, which is our car tag in NZ.
8. I write as slow as a snail walks, and my reading sucks.

Just on weirdness, the interviewer will probably say no.

I have read US Immigration really does not like

1) large differences in age
2) large differences in education level
3) women with miserable job expectations

I have read that US Immigration really likes

1) happy pictures with spouse families
2) children

We have all the wrong things and not right things. Except husband has some money, and last Nov. he put over $10,000 US in my account. For us to have a backup if his cards got messed up. If $25,000 is magic number for automatic yes from immigration, no problem. But I have big doubts if money will make them say yes.

My husband is a teaching machine. I am a pretty nice photographer because he taught me. I can fly fish with the best because he taught me. My English and high-level cooking are from him. We do so much stuff together. I know he would like to try America, and all he would have to do is buy a single plane ticket. But after four years, a woman can by lots of little things recognize how important she is in her man’s life, and I sleep well. To show you my return feelings for him: I have tried to picture my life without him, and all I see is empty blackness.

But I think all that stuff does not count with US immigration, even though they are famous for warmth and humanity.

I said we do not want to try too soon, but we do not want to wait unnecessary.

My gut feeling is we definitely have to go for AA or AS degree online from America before we start process.

Linh

My opinion is you just need to plan when you want to be located to US.

If you can make that plan, then your husband can start to collect domicile information to prove e.g. bank account, tax returns.

There is no need for you to get degree online to obtain the visa. The spouse visa is more about to prove whether the love is real. As long as you have evidence to support, there is no need to be worried. If you and your husband are living in Vietnam for a long time, your husband could file petition at USCIS bangkok ( need to check, I'm not sure.). If your husband can file petition in Bangkok, the process could be very fast 3-4 months.

My advice is no need to be afriad, when you decise when you want to go, just do it.

IR1_DCF Bangkok

I-130 Sent: 2013-03-18

I-130 Approved: 2014-03-25

Pack3 sent: 2014-06-10

Interview date: 2014-06-18

Visa received: 2014-06-24

POE: 2014-11-23

SSN received: 2014-11-30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.