4 posts in this topic

Dear all,

we're (finally :dancing:) ready to apply for my visa with the Frankfurt consulate. We'll be applying for a CR 1.

So my questions are: How long is the current approximate time frame for Frankfurt until the visa will be issued given the fact there won't be any RFE's?

We're planing to move to the US early next year. I would like to have all the paperwork done asap but is there a possibility to prolong the last step of the visa process until - lets say - the end of this year or can the consulate issue the visa for a later date?

Thanks for reading

K.

Dear all,

we're (finally :dancing:) ready to apply for my visa with the Frankfurt consulate. We'll be applying for a CR 1.

So my questions are: How long is the current approximate time frame for Frankfurt until the visa will be issued given the fact there won't be any RFE's?

We're planing to move to the US early next year. I would like to have all the paperwork done asap but is there a possibility to prolong the last step of the visa process until - lets say - the end of this year or can the consulate issue the visa for a later date?

Thanks for reading

K.

Hey there -- check out my signature and you'll see a very, very recent time line :)

Please note that I also had about a 2 week delay on waiting for original documents from the USA. Long story short -- your organization of documents will influence the time of your process :)

Best of luck to you -- it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Dear all,

Thanks for reading

K.

Oh I forgot to add -- the Visa is only valid 6 months after the date of your medical exam. So -- please keep in mind you will need to leave the country by that date. :) But as I said before, you can influence how quickly or slowly you turn in your paperwork if you want to buy yourself some time.

10/2006- Started dating

06/07/08- Got Engaged

06/2009 - Got Married

03/05/2014 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/07/2014 - Fee charged to credit card

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1

03/19/2014 - I-130 approved

04/08/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

04/24/2014 - Package 3 sent off in the mail to Frankfurt

05/03/2014 - Received Interview Appointment via Mail

05/14/2014 - Medical Exam Complete!

05/27/2014 - Interview -- Visa was Approved!

06/02/2014 - Visa arrived via Registered Mail :-)

07/17/2014 - POE Detroit -- We're here!

08/26/2014 -- Pending issue with Typographical Error in Permanent Residency Card...Case Filed

Hey there -- check out my signature and you'll see a very, very recent time line :)

Please note that I also had about a 2 week delay on waiting for original documents from the USA. Long story short -- your organization of documents will influence the time of your process :)

Best of luck to you -- it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Oh I forgot to add -- the Visa is only valid 6 months after the date of your medical exam. So -- please keep in mind you will need to leave the country by that date. :) But as I said before, you can influence how quickly or slowly you turn in your paperwork if you want to buy yourself some time.

Thank you so much for your reply. Wow, your visa journey was a short one... Congratulations on your approval!! :-)

So, just assuming I got the letter with my interview date and the medical has not been done yet. Can I re-schedule the interview for a later date (like a month later)? Or is that going to "upset" the consulate?

Edited by Baby's Girl

Thank you so much for your reply. Wow, your visa journey was a short one... Congratulations on your approval!! :-)

So, just assuming I got the letter with my interview date and the medical has not been done yet. Can I re-schedule the interview for a later date (like a month later)? Or is that going to "upset" the consulate?

There comes a point in the application -- I think after your 1-130 is approved, where it asks you to consider when you want to leave. Your 1-130 is active for quite some time (I think 1 year) -- meaning you can start the second phase (the visa application, providing affidavits of support) at a point that makes more sense for your departure.

Regarding the medical: Frankfurt doesn't want you scheduling your medical until they tell you to do so (Which is basically after NOA2). We had about 25 days to schedule it -- but we live in Berlin where there is an approved doctor, so it wasn't such a big deal. If you're not in a big city, there could be this additional coordination involved.

I personally would take what the embassy gives you in terms of an appointment-- I cannot speak for the embassy if it would annoy them, but based on some communication I've had with them, I would generally say you should apply for the visa when you KNOW you will be leaving 6 months after they give you your interview appointment :-) That is the best rule of thumb.

Also, please keep in mind you're dealing with a lot of validity dates with the documentation you're providing. The interview is a formality to approve the visa -- but the dates of validity printed on your visa are based on your med. exam. Some of the supporting documents you provide with your visa application are also time sensitive (i.e. Police Report, Passport MUST be valid 6 months in advance of when you apply etc.-- we had to renew my hubby's!) Based on this, it doesn't make sense to do things TOO far in advance.

Good luck!

10/2006- Started dating

06/07/08- Got Engaged

06/2009 - Got Married

03/05/2014 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/07/2014 - Fee charged to credit card

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1

03/19/2014 - I-130 approved

04/08/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

04/24/2014 - Package 3 sent off in the mail to Frankfurt

05/03/2014 - Received Interview Appointment via Mail

05/14/2014 - Medical Exam Complete!

05/27/2014 - Interview -- Visa was Approved!

06/02/2014 - Visa arrived via Registered Mail :-)

07/17/2014 - POE Detroit -- We're here!

08/26/2014 -- Pending issue with Typographical Error in Permanent Residency Card...Case Filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.