Tee and Megan

Cambodian applicants, When do they schedule the interview???

15 posts in this topic

Chum reap sou and hi again!

My fiance and I are so confused. On the U.S. Embassy website, I think it says we have to send them the I-134, the DS-160 cover page and the optional 169. However, they also say don't send them anything.

Here is our question: What does the Embassy need to schedule the interview? Just the DS-160? Or all the above listed documents in Packet 3?

Thanks so much for your help! Akun!

Megan and Tee

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello Megan and Tee,

In order for the embassy to schedule an appointment for you 3 items must be returned:

1-DS-160 confirmation page

2-Form I-134 ( supporting income tax forms and proof of employment must be included )

3-Optional Form 169 for K1. This form has check list for you to check off the item(s) that applied to you. For example: you check off item 1 to indicate you have your (beneficiary) passport in hand; item 2 to indicate to the embassy you have in your hand the original birth certificate etc...

you go through the list and finally write your PHP number, sign and date the Form 169 and send it back to the embassy with the above 2 items.

IN SHORT, the embassy wants to make sure you have all the documents needed for the interview, hence the form 169 for you to tell the embassy that

you indeed have the required items on hand and ready.

After the embassy receives the above 3 items it will give you the appointment date. You have to keep checking the weekly appointment on the embassy web site for your PHP number.

All the items you check off on the form 169 are to be presented to the CO on the day of the interview.

Dear Savath123,

Thank you so much!!! I am so grateful for the info! Do I need to wait for Packet 3 to reach me, even though it is all online?? That is my biggest worry. With the Cambodian postal system being the way it is, it could be quite some time before it gets here.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Timeline

Megan and Tee,

As long as you have confirmed with the embassy that your case is now sitting at the embassy you just download packet 3 from the embassy web site.

In fact, the physical packet 3 that you will receive is just a one page letter telling you to download packet 3 from the web site.

As mentioned above your packet 3 items to be returned are DS-160 confirmation page, I-134 and its supporting documents, and finally the optional form 169

with checked off items applied to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Savath123 and everyone!!!! Savath123, do you remember how long it takes approximately for them to assign an interview once they receive Packet 3???? I am so anxious/excited to get our interview date!!!

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

• 8 months later...

So you cannot send the 3 items unless you acquired all the items on the checklist?

Actually, since there's usually such a big gap between the interview date and the time when you send in the DS160, it is okay not to have them all in hand when you send it in. It is crucial to check all the boxes on the checklist that apply to you though.

All you have to submit for them to issue you an interview date is:

1. The DS 160 Confirmation page

2. Your checklist

3. Your USC's financial information and affidavit of support.

Once they have all that info, they should issue you an interview date in 1-2 weeks.

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Timeline

Actually, since there's usually such a big gap between the interview date and the time when you send in the DS160, it is okay not to have them all in hand when you send it in. It is crucial to check all the boxes on the checklist that apply to you though.

All you have to submit for them to issue you an interview date is:

1. The DS 160 Confirmation page

2. Your checklist

3. Your USC's financial information and affidavit of support.

Once they have all that info, they should issue you an interview date in 1-2 weeks.

Once they issue you the interview date in 1-2 weeks how much longer is the actual date of the interview? 1 mo? Thx meagan:)

Once they issue you the interview date in 1-2 weeks how much longer is the actual date of the interview? 1 mo? Thx meagan:)

I think we received notice of our interview date in early June, but the interview wasn't until Oct. 6th. It seems to take quite a while.

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Yikes! That's long!

I think it can vary depending on the season and times though! Summer seems to be a hectic time for the Embassy. Perhaps the winter is not so bad? Maybe the wait won't be so long! :)

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi Tee and Megan,

I am currently waiting for NVC to get my petition and process the case. I have a question regarding I-134, you said fiance in Phnom Penh has to send that in along with DS-160 confirmation page and form 169 checklist right? So I am currently in Austin, so I fill out the I-134 and DHL it to my fiance in PP? So she can send it into the embassy? What did you do in your case? Did she just drop it off at the embassy? I don't really trust the postal service in Phnom Penh. Please help. Thank you very much.

On the checklist 169, it also says don't send anything in except DS160, Im a bit confused.

Hi Tee and Megan,

I am currently waiting for NVC to get my petition and process the case. I have a question regarding I-134, you said fiance in Phnom Penh has to send that in along with DS-160 confirmation page and form 169 checklist right? So I am currently in Austin, so I fill out the I-134 and DHL it to my fiance in PP? So she can send it into the embassy? What did you do in your case? Did she just drop it off at the embassy? I don't really trust the postal service in Phnom Penh. Please help. Thank you very much.

On the checklist 169, it also says don't send anything in except DS160, Im a bit confused.

I am not sure if they are still doing this; but when we were applying, they wanted me to send in my financial info (the I-134 and accompanying documents) prior to the interview. Thus, I sent that in on my end, and Tee sent in the DS-160 an the checklist on his end. We sent the documents in separately.

As far as we know, they won't let you drop them off (Tee went to the Embassy to ask the same thing) You have to send them in. We used DHL for the speed and safety. (I know its a little more expensive, but we wanted to be sure everything arrived safely and they have a pretty good track record) We also didn't trust the post in PP, so that seemed to be the safest way to get it done.

For the Form 169, we checked every box that applied to us and signed it, even though we didn't necessarily have everything done when we sent it in (you can't do the police record and medical check too early because the forms expire within three months)

Does all of this help? If you need anything else, please let us know! Happy to help!

Megan and Tee

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Timeline

Hi Megan and Tee,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, that helps a lot. I think the embassy changed their system last December, they no longer want I-134 and 169 sent in anymore. They want us to present those during the interview. I think. I will call them to confirm once I get the notification from NVC. Thank you very much. I am sure I will need help again as it gets close to the interview, thank you for your help. Right now, I am just waiting for NVC to notify, then I will start collecting my supporting docs for I-134. I also plan to go in for the interview with my fiance in Phnom Penh. Do you have any suggestions? I read your interview post too, it looks like early morning till afternoon - all day event. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

I only need packet #4 right? to bring to the interview with me. For my fiance, she will have all the docs on the checklist 169. I think that should be ok. I just want to be able to schedule the interview soon, so I can plan the trip there, buying plane tickets, etc.

Hi Megan and Tee,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, that helps a lot. I think the embassy changed their system last December, they no longer want I-134 and 169 sent in anymore. They want us to present those during the interview. I think. I will call them to confirm once I get the notification from NVC. Thank you very much. I am sure I will need help again as it gets close to the interview, thank you for your help. Right now, I am just waiting for NVC to notify, then I will start collecting my supporting docs for I-134. I also plan to go in for the interview with my fiance in Phnom Penh. Do you have any suggestions? I read your interview post too, it looks like early morning till afternoon - all day event. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

I only need packet #4 right? to bring to the interview with me. For my fiance, she will have all the docs on the checklist 169. I think that should be ok. I just want to be able to schedule the interview soon, so I can plan the trip there, buying plane tickets, etc.

I remember hearing that from another couple that just interviewed. I think you're right; they don't need to see the I-134 until the day of the interview. I'm so glad you can go with your fiance! That is wonderful! Tee and I were really glad we could go together, to support each other on that day. The interviewer even let us stand together as he was interviewed, as long as I let him answer all the questions. My only advice is to stay calm and answer all the questions as clearly as you can, with confidence and smiles. :) We were SO nervous, but tried to appear as calm as we could. (We also held hands while he interviewed us which helped)

My other advice would be to dress super sharp. I really think it helps add confidence and professionalism to the application. We also took all the staples and paper clips out of our application, but I'm not sure they're still asking people to do that. Sending lots of prayers and blessings your way. Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything!

Blessings!

Megan and Tee

Hi Megan and Tee,

Oh! And yes, to the best of my knowledge, you only need packet #4 and your American Passport. They should give you lots of time between your interview date and when you find out to book the ticket. Did you know it's sometimes cheaper to book on a Tuesday? ;) Don't know why this is. Best wishes!

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

AOS:

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

ROC: 

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.