cjl1989

Question about I-751 form

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I received a letter from the USCIS stating that I had to submit my I-751 to remove my conditions. I filled out all of the necessary paperwork and sent it in. It got sent back to me saying that I sent it in too early and I would have to send it in again.

A few questions

1. I included a money order for the fees, should I leave it as is and resend the same money order or do I have to get the cash back and resend a new one?

2. Should I fill out the paperwork again and sign and date it with the new date or just send in the same paperwork?

3. On the form itself, where I had filled out my childrens name and address etc. someone had written in red ink beside both of their names "NO" ... why would this be???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

That letter you got from USCIS is received by almost everyone who is due for ROC. In many cases it arrives as early as a month or so before the ROC window opens. It is a reminder, not a call to send in the package. They expect you to know the 90 days rule. I got mine in January while my window opened in Feb, and I did not file until early May.

1. You can resend the same money order, as long as it is still valid and will till be valid for a couple more weeks.

2. Go ahead and fill the i751 again, it is not a lot, and you get to put in a date that is within the ROC window. Your ROC window opens 90 days to the date you became a LPR.

3. Not sure about your # 3, hopefully someone else has a better idea why that happened.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: Timeline

As "BlessedAssurance" wrote you probably submitted everything too early. The letter you got is a reminder to "start preparing". You send in the ####### 90 days BEFORE your green card expires, but not earlier. A day earlier is rejected and gets sent back, so don't try to send it in earlier. And yes you can use the same check. For the last question (children), are they US citizens? Did you happen to check mark the box, "applying with you"? If they are US citizens, although you put them in as your children, but you should not check mark "applying with you" since they don't need to apply for ROC process (being US citizens). But maybe this is not the case, you didn't tell us how you filled out the form, so I'm just blindly speculating here. If you filled that part out correctly for sure, then I have no idea why they wrote there "NO" and circled the kids with red. :/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As "BlessedAssurance" wrote you probably submitted everything too early. The letter you got is a reminder to "start preparing". You send in the ####### 90 days BEFORE your green card expires, but not earlier. A day earlier is rejected and gets sent back, so don't try to send it in earlier. And yes you can use the same check. For the last question (children), are they US citizens? Did you happen to check mark the box, "applying with you"? If they are US citizens, although you put them in as your children, but you should not check mark "applying with you" since they don't need to apply for ROC process (being US citizens). But maybe this is not the case, you didn't tell us how you filled out the form, so I'm just blindly speculating here. If you filled that part out correctly for sure, then I have no idea why they wrote there "NO" and circled the kids with red. :/

Thanks for your answer!! I was stupid and forgot to check the expiry date on my greencard and just sent in the paperwork because i received the letter. As for my kids, they are US citizens and i checked the box that said they lived with me but not that they were applying... weird. I guess I will just have to resend everything in a couple weeks and see what they say then! Does anyone know how long it takes to get the extended green card in tthe mail while its processing? I have a trip booked to visit canada at the end of july until the 8th of august and my conditional greencard expires august 13th

From my understanding it is about a week to get the extension letter. Yeah, now I really have no clue what they did not like about your kids...maybe their names? ;)

Thanks for your answer!! I was stupid and forgot to check the expiry date on my greencard and just sent in the paperwork because i received the letter. As for my kids, they are US citizens and i checked the box that said they lived with me but not that they were applying... weird. I guess I will just have to resend everything in a couple weeks and see what they say then! Does anyone know how long it takes to get the extended green card in tthe mail while its processing? I have a trip booked to visit canada at the end of july until the 8th of august and my conditional greencard expires august 13th

From my understanding it is about a week to get the extension letter. Yeah, now you know definitely send the stuff in only 90 days before your green card expires. In terms of your kids, then I really have no idea what they didn't like about them. Maybe their names? ;) Good luck!

One more thought...I don't have your form front of me, but I am thinking, could be that the way they wrote that "NO" is at the place where the kids fill in info is, but it's not for exclusively because you filled out that part, but more of a general big fat "NO" as to it's too early for you to file, so "NO" this form is not accepted (this time)...??? I really don't know how it is written on your form, but you know what I mean, right? If not, let me know, I'll try to explain it somehow that it will make sense. All the best!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.