mcs123

Military, petitioning mom and fiance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I just have some questions regarding petitioning my mom and my fiance. So, I joined the navy and will be naturalized on August. I just wanna ask

1. Can I petition them at the same time?

2. How much money do I need for affidavit of support and who can i ask for co-sponsor?

3. Is there any age requirement for K-1 Visa?

4. While I'm in the service, can she (Fiance) stay at her relative after our marriage? but near my duty station.

5. What do I need for K-1 visa and my mom's?

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Hi, I just have some questions regarding petitioning my mom and my fiance. So, I joined the navy and will be naturalized on August. I just wanna ask

Looks like you need to do a lot of research. I'm sure others will chime in with all the pertinent information. I will try my best to answer what I can, hopefully someone can correct me if what I say is inaccurate.

1. Can I petition them at the same time?

I don't see why not, as long as you can support them both per poverty level guidelines.

2. How much money do I need for affidavit of support and who can i ask for co-sponsor?

Any US citizen willing to be your co-sponsor can be your co-sponsor. http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

3. Is there any age requirement for K-1 Visa?

It would be 18, if I'm not mistaken, although you will have to undergo more hoops with CFO in the Philippines since she is so young (if under 21).

4. While I'm in the service, can she (Fiance) stay at her relative after our marriage? but near my duty station.

I suppose, but it will not look good when you apply for adjustment of status, unless its because you are in training or deployed. Usually married couples live together, and the military does make arrangements for that.

5. What do I need for K-1 visa and my mom's?

k1 http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

mom http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents

Thank you so much for your help! :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Brownhair, Thanks for the info! :) But can my fiance stay at her relative after our marriage while im still fixing my military housing? and Can I still petition my mom even though she's already married with other man? is there gonna be complication? And can I petition them as soon as i get my citizenship right?

Brownhair, Thanks for the info! :) But can my fiance stay at her relative after our marriage while im still fixing my military housing? and Can I still petition my mom even though she's already married with other man? is there gonna be complication? And can I petition them as soon as i get my citizenship right?

I suppose she can but just remember that after bringing her over on a K1 visa you will file AOS, and they will want proof that you are living as husband and wife so I would make that situation as temporary as possible, otherwise it will look fishy.. i.e., visa fraud or using her to gain more military benefits because you are married. Just a thought.

Does your mom want to leave her husband? Yes you can petition her/them once you have naturalized and you meet the income requirements or have a co-sponsor. Also one requirement for K1 is that you have met within 2 years.

Personally I would not petition 2 at the same time, but thats just me.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Thanks again! brownhair! :) But how long i have to wait if I petition my mom before my fiance?

yes we just met last month and we decided to live together because distance really killing us.

what if we rent an apartment near my base is that okay? while waiting for my military benefits.

Have a good day!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.