jjeenn

Spouse to attend visa interview at India Consulate- Worth it?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I am married to an Indian. We are finally in the last stages of the IR-1/CR-1 process for my Indian husband. We think his visa interview will be scheduled at the Indian US Consulate in the next two months.

I have been living in India for a year - both of us waiting for this immigration process to complete. I may have to travel back to the USA during these final two months.

We are debating on whether it is "worth" the cost to have me return primarily to accompany him to the interview at the Consulate for the visa.

• Any experiences out there where you really felt it helped to have both husband and wife present at the interview?
  • Or, was it a neutral factor in getting the visa approved?

Please share the any details...we'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Timeline

I think it depends, in Mumbai the USC is not even allowed in so there really is not point for me to be in the country except for moral support. In Delhi the USC can enter with their spouse for the interview so then it might be worth it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My husband just had his interview in early March (New Delhi) and I attended with him. In my opinion, I think it is worth the money to attend together. My husband was nervous and he was grateful I was there to support him. Also, the CO asked me several questions and she saw the two of us interact.

On a few questions directed towards my husband, I chimed in a bit and the CO did not stop me. On one question she actually laughed a bit at our answers. (She asked my husband why he wasn't wearing a wedding band. He replied that he is, he just wears it on his middle finger. Then I explained that believe it or not, he actually lost so much weight that the ring does not fit him on his ring finger any more.)

I've never seen a couple on VJ going through Indian consulates who attended the interview together get denied. So that in my opinion makes it seem worthwhile. Many consulates do not allow the USC petitioner inside to attend the interview at all so I see it as a rare opportunity. So go for it if you have the money.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Timeline

Just like post 2 and 3

Delhi allows a second person and Mumbai does not.

USCIS
04/19/13 NOA1 Priority Date
12/12/13 info pass at local office told me file was transferred on 5th DEC
12/12/13 File at NSC
12/19/13 NOA2 (244days)
NVC
01/03/14 NVC Received Case
01/28/14 NVC Assigned Case Number and IIN
02/05/14 DS-261 Available and completed
02/06/14 Received e-mail to pay AOS Fee
02/06/14 AOS bill invoice available and paid
02/08/14 AOS Mailed
03/12/14 IV bill invoice available and paid
03/12/14 Pacakge IV mailed
03/15/14 DS-260 Available and completed
03/28/14 Case Complete
Consulate
04/07/14 Medicals
05/05/14 Fingerprinting & Photo
05/06/14 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I attended the interview with my husband in New Delhi, at the end of it all, I as the UC was asked more questions than my then my fiance did, I think it was totally work it, i went back to india two months prior to the interview to help get alll our paperwork together, then we flew back to the USA together, To share in that first time packing together and flying together and arriving at your new home together was worth it.

Best of lcuk

Timeline

I am also married to an Indian I lived with him and his family since Oct 10 2012-sept 2013 we got married in India with traditional Hindu ceremony to honor his family we are now case complete and for interview to be scheduled .. now I work 2 jobs and provided us a home I can't just leave 2 jobs to go back to India for interview but my understanding is consulate 99% of the time have the decision way before the inrerview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.