laura428

Last minute questions before initial interview

4 posts in this topic

A few last minute things before we go to the Consulate tomorrow morning...

1) On the G-325A, it asks for an Alien Registration Number. What is this?

2) For the fees, would they accept a check? We have a US bank account through our Canadian bank - funds are in US dollars. Or does it have to be money order?

3) Also with the G-325A, it printed up four forms for each of us (me, my husband and my two kids). Do we need all of these forms? Am I attaching one of mine to each one of the three applications?

(I'm still debating on whether to do the DCF process for my kids, or getting their citizenship b/c they qualify with my own citizenship. One page says it's $160 USD for each, but the actual application says $255 USD (???). Plus, I'm still looking into the finer details, i.e., timeline for passports for them after citizenship is gained, etc.)

Thanks for any help - much appreciated!

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
A few last minute things before we go to the Consulate tomorrow morning...

1) On the G-325A, it asks for an Alien Registration Number. What is this?

2) For the fees, would they accept a check? We have a US bank account through our Canadian bank - funds are in US dollars. Or does it have to be money order?

3) Also with the G-325A, it printed up four forms for each of us (me, my husband and my two kids). Do we need all of these forms? Am I attaching one of mine to each one of the three applications?

(I'm still debating on whether to do the DCF process for my kids, or getting their citizenship b/c they qualify with my own citizenship. One page says it's $160 USD for each, but the actual application says $255 USD (???). Plus, I'm still looking into the finer details, i.e., timeline for passports for them after citizenship is gained, etc.)

Thanks for any help - much appreciated!

hi laura,

An A number is assigned to each immigrant. You and your husband probably do not have one. You can enter 'none' or 'unknown'. An A# will be assigned to him, and it's very important down the road. It's OK for him to not have one yet.

Fees: don't know... give the Consulate a call? Can't imagine it would need to be a US money order. Often you can pay in USD or local currency.

The G-325As come in a set of 4, that stay together.

I think you need to find out more about the kids. I don't think they will process them for an IV if they are USCs, but I don't know a lot of detail about the kid thing.

Have you investigated Consular Report of Birth Abroad + passport fee? They do not need to "apply" for citizenship, merely declare it.

The American Citizens Services section of the Consulate should be able to help you with this--I encourage you to get some professional input on this important matter.

Best wishes!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

hi laura,

An A number is assigned to each immigrant. You and your husband probably do not have one. You can enter 'none' or 'unknown'. An A# will be assigned to him, and it's very important down the road. It's OK for him to not have one yet.

Fees: don't know... give the Consulate a call? Can't imagine it would need to be a US money order. Often you can pay in USD or local currency.

The G-325As come in a set of 4, that stay together.

I think you need to find out more about the kids. I don't think they will process them for an IV if they are USCs, but I don't know a lot of detail about the kid thing.

Have you investigated Consular Report of Birth Abroad + passport fee? They do not need to "apply" for citizenship, merely declare it.

The American Citizens Services section of the Consulate should be able to help you with this--I encourage you to get some professional input on this important matter.

Best wishes!

Ok... potentially VERY VERY happy here about the consular report of birth abroad thing, but the last thing it says I need for them is "affidavits of parent(s)’ residence and physical presence in the United States." I'm using my parents' place as my "domicile" for purposes of my husband's immigration process, but now need an affidavit proving residence and physical presence. Oh, holy cow, just had a thought - will I need this for my husband as well?? I do have my US passport, issued in September 1996, showing various trips until my immigration stamp (for landed immigrant status in Canada) in May 2001... that's JUST shy of five years. Of course, I was born in and lived in the US for nearly 30 years before moving north of the border, but I have nothing to prove residence before 1996. But again, my passport is not an affidavit - how on earth do I get that?

You know... this whole thing would have been so much easier had we moved before kids. :wacko:

The way I'd planned on doing it was by filing an N-600 (Application for Certification of Citizenship) - this is the one that says $160 on the info site (http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/chowto.htm) but $255 when you go to fill out the form (http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-600.htm). Oh, and yes, I just noticed that I have to file an affidavit of residence with that, too. Ugh. Wondering if my parents could write a letter stating how long I lived there, then get it notarized? The FS-240 sounds easier (AND cheaper)... guess we'll be asking tons of questions at the Consulate tomorrow. I was hoping to get this whole deal done tomorrow, with my husband's I-130 AND the kids' citizenship stuff, but it's looking more and more like the kids' business will have to wait. Was going to call the Consulate for help with all of this, but of course, their phone line closed nearly two hours ago. Argh.

I know I'm asking a ton of questions... sorry. But anything you (or anyone else, for that matter) can help with while I try to get in touch with someone "in the know" would be so helpful. This whole immigration thing, along with my application for Canadian citizenship, getting the house ready to sell AND raising a two year old and three month old... it's all making my brain a wee bit fuzzy. I can use all the help I can get. :)

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

laura, I'd suggest that you take a list of questions with you to the Consulate and ask in person when you are there. I presume you are talking about proof that you were in the US for the required period of time to pass your USC along to the kids. The ConOff can probably help you identify the best information to give them.

You should have time--the I-130 only takes a few minutes, since you are so well prepared :)

I am wondering if the affidavit is not just a sworn statement. I also think that it's not a question of using your parent's addy or having domicile. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad presumes that the USC is not in the US and may not have been for awhile. You do need to meet the age threshold for when you left the US tho.

Another option is to get the passports now (again, IF they are USCs) and wait to get the N-600. There was a recent discussion on the value of the n-600 here: http://tinyurl.com/fwsja Note that the citizenship portion doesn't apply to you, but the tohoughts on n-600 were really good.

I recommend that you post your question (try and clarify it a bit and include all the facts like when you were last in the US etc) to this group: http://tinyurl.com/gg96p

The Rich Wales Dual Citizenship FAQ is also very good an may answer your questions.. Rich actually watches the above group and may have some info for you when you post there.

You've made a lot of progress in a very short time---just go with this a bit and once you have an in-person visit at the Consulate you may be able to do the rest by mail. The people who work there are usually very nice and will be helpful to you. Your smile will go a long way.. have a great appointment!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.