FAST21

USCIS Immigrant Fee

5 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm getting confused with the IV Fee and USCIS Immigrant Fee. Are they same or different? :huh2:

We paid IV Fee at NVC stage amounting to $230 and now, when I recieved my visa packet it says that I have to pay USCIS Immigrant Fee $165 before departing to US. Can someone here enlighten me on those fees. Please. Many Thanks

New USCIS Immigrant Fee

Effective February 1, 2013, all individuals issued immigrant visas overseas must pay a $165.00 USCIS Immigrant Fee before traveling to the United States. Only prospective adoptive parents whose child(ren) is/are entering the United States under either the Orphan or Hague Process, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants who were employed by the U.S. government, returning residents, and those issued K visas are exempt from the new fee. The below USCIS website has more details on the new fee, including contact information for USCIS, if there are further questions:

Qs and As

1. When must I pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee?

You must pay the fee prior to departing for the United States. USCIS will not issue your green card until USCIS receives payment. However, even if you have not paid the fee, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers will admit you, as long as you are otherwise eligible to enter.

2. What if I was issued an immigrant visa before February 1, 2013? Do I have to pay the fee?

No. Only applicants issued visas on or after February 1, 2013 will pay the new fee. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the airport or land border will review immigration records to determine when your immigrant visa was issued. If the visa was issued on or after February 1, 2013 but the fee was not paid, the Immigrant Visa package will be collected at the point of entry, but USCIS will not issue a green card until the $165.00 fee is paid.

3. Who has to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee?

All applicants issued immigrant visas (including Diversity Visas), except children adopted under the Orphan (IR-3/IR-4) or Hague Processes (IH-3/IH-4), Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants who were employed by the U.S. Government, returning residents (SB-1s), and K visas, will pay the new fee.

4. How do I pay the new fee?

You will pay the fee by going to www.USCIS.gov/ImmigrantFee, clicking on the link to the USCIS intake page on Pay.gov, answering the questions on the USCIS intake page, and providing your checking account, debit, or credit card information. Because checking payments must be drawn on a U.S. bank, someone else may pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee on your behalf.

Edited by Nonofurbusiness

ich_liebe_dich_103.jpg
March 29,2013-------Notice of Action "1st"
November 14,2013-------Notice of Action ( Notice of transferred NSC )
December 20,2013-------Notice of Action "Approval"
December 26,2013-------Case was Shipped to National Visa Center
January 13,2014 -------Case received at NVC
February 12, 2014-------NVC Assigned Case Number

February 25,2014------- Paid AOS & IV bill

February 27,2014------ -AOS & IV documents was submitted to NVC ( Completed DS-260 )

March 4, 2014 --------- NVC received AOS & IV documents

March 10 & 11,2014 -----( Done Advanced Medical at SLEC ) = Passed

March 21,2014---------- Case Completed

April 04,2014---------Received Interview Date ( P4)

May 5,2014-------- -Interview ( APPROVED )

event.png
event.png
event.png

Two separate fees. Interview fee is for the interview, and since you've got your visa packet I'm guessing you've done that. Immigrant fee is for the production of the green card. From what I understand it does not have to be paid before leaving, but the greencard will not be printed till it's paid.

Looks like you're ready to fly, assuming you're done with CFO. :) congrats.

Edit:

Looks like I was best to the punch, with a more detailed answer too.

Edited by bendinlar

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually, I have read the FAQs about the USCIS Immigrant Fee prior to sending my question. It just made me wonder a bit. and I didn't expect that we have to pay another fee before departing to US. I had the assumption before that both fees are the same. But, it looks like that we don't have a choice now but to pay for it or else no GC. <_< Never ending fees...LOL!

Hi Bendinlar, so far everything is going well and planning to do my CFO next monday. Come April 2, Goodbye Philippines, Hehehe and Hello USA! I'll shall return...will miss my country and my fellow Filipino...

God Bless us all!!! :)

Two separate fees. Interview fee is for the interview, and since you've got your visa packet I'm guessing you've done that. Immigrant fee is for the production of the green card. From what I understand it does not have to be paid before leaving, but the greencard will not be printed till it's paid.

Looks like you're ready to fly, assuming you're done with CFO. :) congrats.

Edit:
Looks like I was best to the punch, with a more detailed answer too.

Straight to the point. :idea::dancing:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm getting confused with the IV Fee and USCIS Immigrant Fee. Are they same or different? :huh2:

We paid IV Fee at NVC stage amounting to $230 and now, when I recieved my visa packet it says that I have to pay USCIS Immigrant Fee $165 before departing to US. Can someone here enlighten me on those fees. Please. Many Thanks

That $165 fee is for the green card, don't pay that NO green card.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.