Danno

Which is more effective at weight loss, Mrs Obama or Vlad Putins plan for kids?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Less freedom to do what?

Since 2001 alone, laws have been passed allowing indefinite detention, declaration of US citizens as enemy combatants and trial by military tribunal, warrant-less searches, secret trials, secret evidence and withholding of evidence from the defense, and surveillance without a court order.

I would also say inflation of everything including wages without a real revision in the tax system has caused a decrease in the average standard of living to point where many people are basically indentured laborers, with no real chance to get out of debt before they die. This is a direct result of our inflationary monetary practices. If the average person can't even finish school without incurring more debt than their grandparents had in a lifetime, that is a loss of freedom.

The NSA collecting and using information on anyone at anytime for whatever reason is another one.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure we could come up with a more comprehensive list.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Those are some valid points and those are reasons for concern but let us be very clear: we're still a heck of a lot better off than people in Russia would ever be able to even dream of in their lifetimes. And Vladimir Vladimirovich is not exactly improving those odds for his people. In fact, he's causing massive capital flight right now which is likely to push Russia into recession this year and next.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Those are some valid points and those are reasons for concern but let us be very clear: we're still a heck of a lot better off than people in Russia would ever be able to even dream of in their lifetimes. And Vladimir Vladimirovich is not exactly improving those odds for his people. In fact, he's causing massive capital flight right now which is likely to push Russia into recession this year and next.

We are for now. I'm not suggesting Russian people have more freedom than we do. They are better off than they were is all. The system is not what it once was. Putin's taking advantage of it, but he can't take it back to what it was.

There's still an old boy's club there who wan't to go back in time. It's always two steps forward and one step back. Or whatever ratio your comfortable with. Two steps forward and 1.9 steps back maybe. We're way ahead, but just because we're farther along, doesn't mean we should start going backwards.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow. Just wow. :wow:

well I didn't use red highlighter when I wrote my post. Obviously you added it to make some point..

I've been to Russia several times over the past 2 years. I met friendly hard working people with complaints about their government which were reflective of similar complaints that Americans have about our government..

The only time I didn't feel safe.... one afternoon we saw a communist rally, I grabbed my camera and went running toward it and my wife yelling to me, "don't get too close, they may kill you." ...

But I was ok, it was a peaceful demonstration and there were lots of police in the area..

Timeline

What communist demonstrations have you seen in the US.

The Korean War never ended officially, there was an armistice. In 1954 the Geneva talks failed between China & the U.S which established the 38th parallel forever. I have never ever heard of China and the US agreeing to withdraw troops. Where did you get that from? I'm just curious, I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything along those lines.

Honestly I don't know what history books you been reading or how you get your information. After WW2 I seem to remember the formation of the Eastern Bloc and the Warsaw Pact, where the USSR established it's foothold and thus the beginning of the Cold War.

So yeah :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

United States abrogation of paragraph 13(d)[edit]
magnify-clip.png
Deployment of U.S. atomic weapons in Korea in 1958

Paragraph 13(d) of the Armistice Agreement mandated that both sides should not introduce new weapons into Korea, other than the piece-for-piece replacement of damaged or worn out equipment. In September 1956 the U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Radford indicated within the U.S. government that the U.S. military intention was to introduce atomic weapons into Korea, which was agreed to by the U.S. National Security Council and President Eisenhower.[23] However paragraph 13(d) prevented the introduction of nuclear weapons and missiles.[24] The U.S. decided to unilaterally abrogate paragraph 13(d), breaking the Armistice Agreement, despite concerns by United Nations allies.[25][26][27] At a meeting of the Military Armistice Commission on June 21, 1957, the U.S. informed the North Korean representatives that the UNC no longer considered itself bound by paragraph 13(d) of the armistice.[28][29] In January 1958 nuclear armed Honest John missiles and 280mm atomic cannons were deployed to South Korea,[30] a year later adding nuclear armed Matador cruise missiles with the range to reach China and the Soviet Union.[26

........................................................................................................................................................................

my bad... there was no agreement to pull out all troops, the agreement, as listed above, stated neither side would introduce new weapons.. But my point stands that it was the US who was the aggressor and broke the treaty..

Timeline

Despite being 'the' place to be and a beacon of democracy, I have no intention of establishing residence anywhere in the former USSR.

Besides, they are overrun with millions and millions of illegal immigrants, seeking the Russian Way and the Russian dream.

I thought America was "the " place to be and a beacon of democracy which is overrun with millions of illegal immigrants seeking to force America to accept their way of life and still achieve the American dream...

Russia expects their immigrants to conform to Russian society and their way of life. Which is working long hours for very little salary, and housing a family of 4 in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I thought America was "the " place to be and a beacon of democracy which is overrun with millions of illegal immigrants seeking to force America to accept their way of life and still achieve the American dream...

Russia expects their immigrants to conform to Russian society and their way of life. Which is working long hours for very little salary, and housing a family of 4 in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I believe you pointed out the major difference between the two countries. In America one is free to attempt to force one's way on others. One is free even to extol the virtues of the very despot from whom one fled, as evidence by some who after having emigrated to this country, insist in worshiping the likes of Putin. One is free to take for granted all the liberties and freedom one could only dream of in the Motherland, and indeed one dreamed of, and found a way to come to America and get a green card. One is even free to renegue on all the hardship one had to undergo to be admitted to this country. That however does not mean one will force one's way on others. Our system may be broke and as arcane as any other, but it works for us. It has worked for over 200 years, during which many have praised the virtues of other despots, as many do now of Putin. America will survive becuase what makes this one country is not a president or a few politicians - America is an ideal; as such intangible and indestructible. America will exist for as long as there are Americans.

The other diffference is that America does not expect anytihng from anyone. After one goes through the sometimes gruelling immigration system, one is also free to work as hard as one can and make it, or not. There are no expectations but there are no guarantees either. You either make it or you don't. It is very easy to idenfity those who didn't: They always have an excuse. As of lately it is politics and the POTUS. They blame everyone else for their failures, except for themselves.

In the end, there is nothing to be done. Losers will be losers and they will always find a way to blame their ineptitudes on others, or even the country in which they live by their own free will. Much of the hate for America stems from that fact many know they would never have it nearly as good in the Motherland as they do here. It is teh hate one entertains for one's adoptive parents, no matter how rich they are. And even the freedom to hate one's country of choise is sometthing one is afforded in America. Like a good whisky, America is an acquired taste. Not everyone will take to it.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org