Jenny and Ryan

Vancouver interview experience, shortcut, things to be aware of

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all big thanks for everyone on VJ. K-1 Visa is a very stressful process. We couldn't make it without everyone's help. I want to write my visa experience to share. Hopefully it will be useful for someone.

There is some background info. I born in mainland China and immigrated to Vancouver Canada with my parents when I was 17. My finance lives in San Francisco California.

Start from beginning, we have been preparing I-129 package for several months to get all forms and evidences. Until we were ready to send out, one of our form was expired. We didn't realized it until USCIS returned our whole package. Then we resend it by express mail, takes 20 days to get NOA1. When we were preparing for interview, we noticed that affidavit of Support form was expired Dec 2013, but they haven't posted the new one yet. Just double check it to make sure use the updated one.

The good thing about this visa process is we can check our status for each step on website. After NVC processing, CEAC website shows "Ready", we could email Vancouver Consulate immediately and ask them to send Packet 3 and Packet 4 by email. They would be happy to do it. Canada post was quite slow even within the city which took me 4 days to receive Packet 3 by mail. Vancouver Consulate is very efficient for replying their email within 2 days. If we haven't heard from them after 2 business days, resending them a reminder email attached with the original email. They will reply within an hour or two. Contacting them by email could finish Packet 3 and 4 within 2 - 3 days.

After we got green light to book the interview, go ahead create account and book the interview date right the way. Just save a spot, even the earliest interview date was 2 months away. Like others posting, we were checking interview schedule 3 times a day to see if there was an early date available. Make sure check it every morning first thing, more likely they will have spot open in the morning. We didn't book the medical exam until we got satisfy interview date.

When we got an earlier interview date, we tried to contact Dr Cheema. We sent them several emails in a day, but no reply. So start calling, after voice message, press "0". Waited for 15 mins, we were able to talk to their reception live. At that time, their office seems very slow. They added me in for an appointment in next 2 days. Their reception is pretty easy to talk with. Just tell her which date you want to come, more likely she can add you in. Their staff told me the best time to call is after 4:00 western time.

Medical exam - I was driving there on first day to do the medical exam and taking skytrain and bus to get the result. The clinic is in Surrey. If someone from out of town and stay in Downtown Vancouver close to Consulate. It could be a long trip for them. I say good traffic about an hour and rush hour about an hour and half or two driving. Skytrain won't take u there directly, need to get off at 22nd street skytrain station and take bus for half hour after get off skytrain. The blood test and X ray are not in the same build as clinic. It's about 10 mins driving distance.

For Vaccine record, I did blood test prior to the medical exam which took us 2 to 3 weeks to get result in BC Lab. I printed off the list of vaccine needs for medical exam on Dr Cheema's website and bring it to my family doctor. There is one thing to be aware of MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella). My family doctor said 3 vaccines in one shoots, So he only marked Measles and Rubella for blood test. He thinks if I had 2 of 3, I must had all of them. However, Dr Cheema office needs to see all 3 vaccines listed on blood test result. I have to take MMR shoot again at Dr Cheema office since I don't have time to take another blood test. Dr Cheema is very nice and easy going, but he gave me the most hurt shoot I've ever had. I almost jump off the chair.

Interview - I went for interview by myself except all document I only bring a non digital watch. There is no clock and no bathroom on 20th floor. For the documents, I bring everything listed on VJ postings. I won't listed here again. Just for Affidavit of support, I bring my fiance current statement from employer, current bank statement, 4 payroll stubs, W2 for last year(haven't filled tax for 2013 yet), and past 3 years tax transcripts which can print off from IRS website. We thought we were over prepared, but they collected all of them. The interview was just a breeze, only 6 basic questions.

The only thing I mess up is police certificate from China. When I was 17 moved here with my parents, they did a criminal record check in China for me back in 1999. I thought since I left china in 1999 and never stay there more than 2 weeks after moving to Canada, it should be okay to use it for k-1 interview. Also on the Packet 3, they didn't say there was a time limit on police certificate. The consular staff was very detailed and thorough. She pointed out police certificate from china was dated in 99 which is too old and need an updated one. After getting an updated one, I went to consular office again to drop it (no need for second interview). They issued my visa last Friday. Happy ending~

Looking back the K-1 process, it was much faster than we expected. We were pretty careful with all documents and evidence, no RFE. The only thing we mess up is date. First out of date form in I-129 package, second out of date police certificate from China for interview. I just want to share my experience. Hopefully nobody makes same mistake like us. Also it's my way to say thanks to VJ.

Timeline

YAAAYY congrats!!! I fly to Vancouver in the morning!!! Have my medical on Wednesday and my interview on Friday....Im nervous/ excited! Thankyou for sharing your experience!

Sept 28, 2013- Sent my info to future hubby for K-1Oct 1, 2013- My info arrives star_smile.gifNov 1, 2013- NOA1 smile.pngNov 7, 2013- Alien registration number changedNov 22, 2013- NOA2!!!!!Nov 29, 2013- NOA2 hard copy arrives<p>Dec 11. 2013- Case shipped to Department of State

March 21, 2014 Interview- appprrrooovvveeddd!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am just preparing my packet 3 information and am hoping to do my medical/interview in Vancouver this July.

Best wishes,
Melissa

Timeline

YAAAYY congrats!!! I fly to Vancouver in the morning!!! Have my medical on Wednesday and my interview on Friday....Im nervous/ excited! Thankyou for sharing your experience!

Thanks! Wish you have a nice trip. The weather was pretty good here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.