Gabriel Rocha

Foreign Freelancer working remotely from Brazil

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hello,

Im a professional freelancer living in Brazil, but working for different clients in USA. I plan moving to USA on the next year, so i want to get something straight before moving and be sure im notdoing anything wrong.

When i started freelancing it was a little bureaucratic to get paid in brazil from foreign clients. So when i was visiting USA i openned an account in a american Bank. So it was 10x easier to get paied, and i have a debit/credit card from this Bank. I can withdraw cash here in Brazil and use as credit card as well. I pay only 1% of taxes when i use the card, i know its sounds a lot, but i pay even more when i get a wire transfer to brazil, and as i mentioned before its quite bureaucratic.

SO my question is, will i ever get in trouble with the IRS if i keep getting paid on my US bank account but using the money in Brazil?

As mentioned before, i only have a tourist visa to USA. Never had a different kind of visa, even when i opened the bank account.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The US and Brazil do not have a tax treaty in place which means you are liable for taxes both in the US and Brazil on the amount you are paid stateside. You should also have received form 1099-MISC from any individual or corporation form which you received $600 or more in any fiscal year.

As you indicate you will be seeking a GC in the future you will need to get your taxes in order sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Edit:

Check out this link: --> http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Taxation-of-Nonresident-Aliens

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wow, that was fast.

Thanks Gegel.

But if i declare this income in Brazil when i bring the money here, will i have to pay taxes twice? I couldn't find if i have to pay any tax at all.

WHere is that information?

Thank you again!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

For Brazil you would need to consult the Brazilian IRS. In the US you will not know if you have to pay taxes until you file them. It is not clear cut. You can find out more in the link I posted. It will take you to the IRS site.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.