atp

DCF Rio (Brazil) - Help regarding I-864

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all,

First let me explain my situation: I am an USC with dual nationality (Brazil/USA), my parents are brazilian and live here and my only relatives in the USA are an uncle and an aunt. I have lived abroad most of my life and for the past 12 years I have been living in Brazil, I have never lived in the USA. I have a brazilian girlfriend and we will get married, however I was searching what was the best option to do so and it seems that DCF is the way to go rather than the K1, K3 route.

Now, after checking out all the forms and the process for an IV it seems that I might have some problems with the I-864. The reason is that I have been accepted for an MBA in the USA and I should be going in March 07, but since I will be studying for the next two years I won't be able to have an US based income, although I will have a domicile. My doubt is if I can use my assets in Brazil (e.g. an apartment) or the federal/university financial aid as a proof of support in the I-864. From what I read at the Travel State site it seems that I can use my foreign assets but still have to have an US income. Also, could my uncle/aunt be my co sponsors ?

After such hard work to be accepted at my school of choice in the USA I don't want to be separated from my soon-to-be wife, anyone have any insights regarding the I-864 ?

Also, does anyone else besides koolaid23 have had experience in DCF through the Rio de Janeiro Consulate ?

Thanks

Andre

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.