Anna_S90

CRBA first told approved, then not

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to get a CRBA for my son here in Armenia and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Here's a little background:

I'm an American citizen, my husband is not. I've lived in the US for 8 years (1.5 years in total after the age of 14). I gave birth here in 2013, within a few days sent an email to the embassy and was told to bring all the required documents. My husband, baby and I showed up for our appointment with all they asked and for evidence of my residence in the US, I took a bunch of photos, my immunization card, a few certificates from school, my certificate for being a finalist in the Miss Pre-teen California pageant, my General Education Diploma (I got my GED because I needed to come to Armenia at the age of 16) and my middle-school transcript. They told me they don't accept photos and except for my transcript, nothing is evidence of my residence. They didn't deny me, though. Started my son's case but said to bring additional evidence. At the time I didn't know I needed proof of 2 years after the age of 14, so I emailed the embassy asking if my son is still eligible if I only have 1.5. They said to just bring everything I have and they'll see. My father in the US went to the district I went to school and got a signed Confirmation of School Attendance document. I took that and was told we're approved. They gave me a card and said to wait for their call to go pick up the CRBA. A month passed and no one called so I emailed them asking if the CRBA had arrived. They emailed me back saying my son's case is not approved and they need additional evidence. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never heard of anyone being told they're approved and then not. Their treatment just feels so unprofessional and hurtful to me.

Sorry if everything sounds confusing. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: Should I continue and take more documents? I only have 1.5 years of evidence after the age of 14. Or should I just ask them what I can do? I need to move back to the USA asap. Should I just go ahead and apply for a visa for my son? I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance (I know how confusing everything sounds).

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Sadly, your case is almost the same what happened to me. You can try to bring them more evidence, but you will probaly only get caugt running in circles. I put information together on how your son can still get US citizenship here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/431566-our-story-crba-for-our-child-denied-entering-the-us-with-a-baby-transportation-letter-and-citizenship-through-the-cca/

Anyway it looks like you will have to go thorugh the green card process with your child, and that can take anywhere from 6 months to over a year. I would prepare myself for a longer time abroad.

If one of your parents is a USC you might be able to claim citizenship through the an N-600 and CCA, but I would read the above post first and see if this might resolve any issues you might have. This way will also take more likely over a year to complete, but you will only need a visa (not a green card) to enter the US legally and complete the process: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/obtaining-us-citizenship-through-a-grandparent

On a side note, if the CRBA would hae been approved, you would have received a document of confirmation on the spot at the embassy. As with everything from the embassy, only count on these things if you get something in writing from them. And sadly 1.5 years won't cut it, the law they go after simply reqiures 2.

Good luck.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply Mark! I just read your story and understand how much stress you've gone through. Glad everything worked out! I have another appointment and I decided to try just one more time. If I'm not approved again, I'll go ahead and try something else. Both of my parents are US citizens, so I'll look into that (thanks for that).

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

You're welcome :)

If you go for the second option, still count on it taking 6 months to a year though:

--Expeditious Naturalization Through A Grandparent--

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/robirth.html

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.