raindrop

!!!! I-864 Confusion!! PLEASE HELP !!!!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all!

The 125% above Poverty Line...

Are you required to file a I-864A, if living in a household totalling 4? According to the chart, I alone make over $23,562. Will I alone be enough, or am I required to file I-864A? Does that amount apply to each person in the household or the total household income? Even after my spouse to be, being here, making our total 5, I am still over the bracket.

Once my spouse arrives, we will not be residing in the household I am in now. I intend to get an apartment for the 2 of us, and will have one by the time he gets here. I realize I will have to file a I-865, Change of Address, but does that change the I-864 sponsoring?

After the civil marriage.

I will be DCF. To my knowledge, I only need these forms: I-130, G-325, DS-230 and I-864. Is this correct or do I need any other forms?

Will I need to file the I-485 now or later, after the marriage and us both residing in the US?

I saw form OF-230 listed, but found it no where. Does anyone know what this is? Do I need this form?

What documents do I need other than, IF they are even required? Will copies due or do they need originals or certified copied?

Birth Certificate

US Passport

Divorce documents

W-2 / 1099's for the last 3 years

Paycheck stub

Affidavit of Support

Thanks again so much in advance!!!

Edited by raindrop

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

raindrop, where are you filing?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

raindrop,

I don't know what to tell you about the I-864 + A; part of it depends on the relationship of the people in the household. Since you are not going to be living in that household as a couple, you might consider filing it as if it were just the two of you. Or, prepare it both ways and ask the Consular Officer.

If your income covers everyone related to you by birth, marriage etc plus your spouse and you are not using a household member's income, you do not use the -A.

You can review the checklists of other DCFers to make sure you've got the right forms. You'll also rely on whatever the Consulate gives you.

The I-485 will not apply in your case.

OF-230 is now DS-230. It is the Immigrant Visa application form, so it is very much required. You'll need to use the form the Consulate gives you.

You may submit photocopies of your evidence and present originals at the interview. All forms submitted must be originals (retain copies for yourself).

You can have your I-864 notarized ahead (in the US) or have the officer do it at the Consulate. Have you been in touch with them to make sure it's OK with them to file there? You might ask them to send you the visa application package (or send to your Hungarian partner) so you can see them ahead of time.

Each Consulate's procedure is unique and I haven't read any Hungary stories to show you how it *has* gone in the past. You really need the input of the Consulate.

There's quite a bit of info on their site, but I see that your double checking is a good idea!

http://budapest.usembassy.gov/immigrant_overview.html

:)

Places to search for experiences:

www.kamya.com/interview

www.britishexpats.com (marriage-based group)

visajourney.com archives

Edited by meauxna

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Ok, so the 125% above poverty line totals given by the number of people in each household, is the total amount, right? Sorry, this is too confusing. I wouldn't want to have to involve anyone in my household, parents and brother, by the way. My income is between $25 -30K. Which falls into the bracket off the form, unless I read it wrong. :-/ Here's the link: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf

I also teach my niece as a plus income, but I don't have any "papers" to do so. Is that something I can or even should list? It increases the income by almost $5K.

We've been in touch with quite a few people, and they said we were able to file there directly, in Hungary.

What's in a visa application package?

This is nerveracking! I just want to make sure I have all the papers, forms, copies, originals, etc..., I need before I depart the US.

THANK YOU!!!

Timeline
Ok, so the 125% above poverty line totals given by the number of people in each household, is the total amount, right? Sorry, this is too confusing. I wouldn't want to have to involve anyone in my household, parents and brother, by the way. My income is between $25 -30K. Which falls into the bracket off the form, unless I read it wrong. :-/ Here's the link: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf

I also teach my niece as a plus income, but I don't have any "papers" to do so. Is that something I can or even should list? It increases the income by almost $5K.

We've been in touch with quite a few people, and they said we were able to file there directly, in Hungary.

What's in a visa application package?

This is nerveracking! I just want to make sure I have all the papers, forms, copies, originals, etc..., I need before I depart the US.

THANK YOU!!!

My suggestion for the I-864 is to print one out and start filling it in, as a trial run. If you read each line carefully, the answers may present themselves to you. You do not have to complete an I-864A if you are not using anyone else's income, so throw it away.

I still recommend that you contact Budapest, as policies change suddenly and you don't want to get caught out. When you do, you can also ask them to mail you the application packet.

You can see our app packet in this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3445

You can read the updated DCF Guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2939

It will help you understand what you are asking when you contact the Consulate.

I *highly* recommend that you do exactly as you plan: have *everything* ready before you leave the US! When are you planning on going? So exciting! :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Wow, you're so very detailed! :) I am a little more confused now with all that info though. :)

I think that's my big problem, too much information.

My fiance is contacting the US Embassy in Hungary tomorrow. I believe we got a quick sum up through an email as far as the packet is concerned, but like you wrote, it doesn't hurt to know for sure!

If we can get everything together and all goes well, I plan to go the end of this month, early next. Hence the stress and rush on it all. It is exciting, yet nerve racking at the same time. It shouldn't be so hard to be with the one you love. :)

Thanks for all your help!! :)

Timeline
Wow, you're so very detailed! :) I am a little more confused now with all that info though. :)

I think that's my big problem, too much information.

My fiance is contacting the US Embassy in Hungary tomorrow. I believe we got a quick sum up through an email as far as the packet is concerned, but like you wrote, it doesn't hurt to know for sure!

If we can get everything together and all goes well, I plan to go the end of this month, early next. Hence the stress and rush on it all. It is exciting, yet nerve racking at the same time. It shouldn't be so hard to be with the one you love. :)

Thanks for all your help!! :)

er, yeah, a little detail-oriented :blush:

Remember that I had 6+ months of research before we sent stuff in. Knowing what I know now though, I'd make it a LOT easier on myself--I hope you will too :)

A lot of it is learning the lingo.. when it is unfamiliar, it all looks so overwhelming. I'm sure if you follow the Consulate's directions, you'll be fine.

Remember to take your originals to the inteview, but submit copies! Your forms should be the only originals they get to keep.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Hi Raindrop- My husband and I completed DCF through New Zealand a couple of months ago. I too was living at home and thought I needed to count my sisters and parents in the number of household members so I got my dad o do a I-864A. When we got to our interview, the consular officer said even though we were planning to go back and live with my family, we are "technically" a household of 2-i.e. only financially responsible for each other. Because my income met the 125% over the line for 2, I did not need an I-864A joint sponsor. I don't know if Hungary is different, but that's what we experienced. Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.