kakashi

Can I enter on AP, and spouse on H4 ?

4 posts in this topic

First, I'd like to sincerely wish everyone success in their processes. I wish we all can put the immigration process behind us and live happily.

Issue:

While my I-485 is pending and I'm still on H1B, I want to go home and get married, and bring spouse on H4

Current status:

AOS (I-485, I-131,I-765) filed Dec-01-2013

Received EAD/AP combo card. Finger printing done.

*I-485 pending*

H1B/I-94 till Sep-2015. *Expired* stamp from previous H1B

I now realize that if I get married after my I-485 approval, I'll have to wait through the F2A quota before spouse can come to US - which can be very lengthy (no movement last 4 months). Since I'm still H1-B status, so H4 route for spouse would be much faster.

Two complications:

I have AP combo card, but don't have a current H1B stamp (I-94/H1B approval is till Sep-2015)

I-485 might be adjudicated as soon as 1-2 months, and would lose H1B status then

I understand that ideal/simple case would be:

Fly home, get married

I apply for H1B stamp, spouse applies H4

Enter US on H1B/H4

File for spouse I-485 - and hope all this happens before my I-485 is adjudicated

I want to see if I can save time and avoid applying for H1B stamp (because H1B admin processing is unpredictable)

Is the following possible?

I travel back soon, get married

Only spouse applies for H4 stamp - Is this even possible? Or would I need to apply for H1B stamp for myself, for spouse to get H4?

We fly back together

Spouse goes ahead in line and enters as H4. Then I enter on AP

I believe if I enter on AP, my H1B would still remain intact, so spouse H4 should remain valid too.

Entering on AP causes secondary checking. But I'm guessing even if we are questioned, things should be okay. Is this correct? Or would there be any issues?

Has anyone done that before? Can I try something else?

Kindly provide feedback on these backup options:

If after marriage, my I-485 is approved before we can come back to US - I will return alone and use follow-to-join option (I-824).

Would that be the right thing to do?

Would it be faster than going through I-130/F2A

If I apply for H1B stamp and spouse for H4, and if before the stamping, my I-485 is approved - there shouldn't be any issue when I return, right?

What if spouse is able to enter on H4, but my I-485 get approved before we can file the 2nd I-485? Will spouse have to leave?

I would really appreciate your guidance and support. Thanks.

And my sincere best wishes to everyone!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously something for your Lawyer but:

H4 requires a H1 to be in force.

AP and EAD, if used you are no longer H but adjusting status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Obviously something for your Lawyer but:

H4 requires a H1 to be in force.

AP and EAD, if used you are no longer H but adjusting status.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm checking with my lawyer but want to understand the options myself also.

Would you have any suggestions on what's best to do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get her here and marry and add her on the adjustment I would think.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.