CherylandJavier

Childrens Visa Denied, where to go from here?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I invited my fiance's two children to the U.S. for a 2 week visit while they are out of school on Christmas break. I contacted the Embassy, explained that the children really wanted to come for Christmas and my family and I really wanted to have them as guests in our home. I didn't explain anything about their father being here in the U.S. , and didn't intend to (on the advice of the Mexican consul here) unless asked directly. The American consulate advised us to ask for an emergency visa, to get the kids here during their break, which I did. When the kids got to the embassy, they had to wait for 6 hours until their numbers were called and within minutes, their visas were denied, they were told they were lying about why they wanted to be here, and thrown out, because their father is in the U.S. without a visa. They were humiliated in front of other people, and called liars. I was devastated to hear the news. The kids were so excited as were mine and our family, just to have them visit for a couple of weeks. All this happened 2 days before Christmas. As an active duty military member, I provided the embassy with military JAG notized documents of my invitation, of my pay, of my ability to safeguard the children and return them on the scheduled day, but the embassy would not even look at the packet. A friend of mine in Mex said the embassy was denying legitimate visa requests for reasons that to me seem absurd. Her sister was denied because she is divorced. The childrens mother told the interviewer their dad was not here in the states, out of fear that the kids would automatically be denied their visa. Where do we go from here? Do we try again? Have we lost our regularly scheduled interview date because they were seen on an urgent basis or because it was denied? Has this ruined the kids chances of coming for a quick visit on spring break or during the summer? I have no idea where we stand on just having them visit and return to Mexico? If they are allowed to go to their regularly scheduled visa appt (which I'm afraid it's no longer a scheduled appt), should I fly in and accompany them in uniform, or will this make no difference? Also, when the kids left the visa interview, they had all their paperwork with them, the interviewer took nothing (nor did he ever look at it). Someone please give me some insight on what we do now. It is a very legitimate and HONEST request to have two children visit and return to Mexico. No one wants them to stay, they don't want to stay, they just want to visit. We are not trying to hide the fact that their father is here, I think their mother was just confused, afraid and intimidated at the time. Thanks.

I invited my fiance's two children to the U.S. for a 2 week visit while they are out of school on Christmas break. I contacted the Embassy, explained that the children really wanted to come for Christmas and my family and I really wanted to have them as guests in our home. I didn't explain anything about their father being here in the U.S. , and didn't intend to (on the advice of the Mexican consul here) unless asked directly. The American consulate advised us to ask for an emergency visa, to get the kids here during their break, which I did. When the kids got to the embassy, they had to wait for 6 hours until their numbers were called and within minutes, their visas were denied, they were told they were lying about why they wanted to be here, and thrown out, because their father is in the U.S. without a visa. They were humiliated in front of other people, and called liars. I was devastated to hear the news. The kids were so excited as were mine and our family, just to have them visit for a couple of weeks. All this happened 2 days before Christmas. As an active duty military member, I provided the embassy with military JAG notized documents of my invitation, of my pay, of my ability to safeguard the children and return them on the scheduled day, but the embassy would not even look at the packet. A friend of mine in Mex said the embassy was denying legitimate visa requests for reasons that to me seem absurd. Her sister was denied because she is divorced. The childrens mother told the interviewer their dad was not here in the states, out of fear that the kids would automatically be denied their visa. Where do we go from here? Do we try again? Have we lost our regularly scheduled interview date because they were seen on an urgent basis or because it was denied? Has this ruined the kids chances of coming for a quick visit on spring break or during the summer? I have no idea where we stand on just having them visit and return to Mexico? If they are allowed to go to their regularly scheduled visa appt (which I'm afraid it's no longer a scheduled appt), should I fly in and accompany them in uniform, or will this make no difference? Also, when the kids left the visa interview, they had all their paperwork with them, the interviewer took nothing (nor did he ever look at it). Someone please give me some insight on what we do now. It is a very legitimate and HONEST request to have two children visit and return to Mexico. No one wants them to stay, they don't want to stay, they just want to visit. We are not trying to hide the fact that their father is here, I think their mother was just confused, afraid and intimidated at the time. Thanks.

Is your fiancee in Mexico or US. If she is in Mexico, it will be hard to get visitor visa since the underlying question is who are they going to visit in US if the mother and father (as you did not mention he is in US) is in Mexico . The other question as it appears from your post is why would two unaccompanied minors be coming to the US.

You can ofcourse have them come here on K2. That is probably the easiest way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sorry to hear about this. I think the first problem is there was no explanation about the father being the US - a crucial detail. Also, since there wasn't a true "emergency", I would suspect the fact that they went to ask for an emergency visa meant there was more scrutiny - just a thought.

In order to know if you have lost a regularly scheduled interview date, you would have to call them and find out. You will have to pay the application fees again.

Most embassys deny tourist visas because the applicant has not sufficiently proven intent to return home. You can always try again - there is no law against that. If you research tourist visa denials, you'll find some advice.

Lastly, you may want to call American Citizens Services directly at the embassy for advice - much better to get information directly from them than from the Mexican consulate in the US (they have NOTHING to do with US tourist visas and gave you wrong information).

In the end, the best solution may be to petition for them as part of your K1.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
Sorry to hear about this. I think the first problem is there was no explanation about the father being the US - a crucial detail. Also, since there wasn't a true "emergency", I would suspect the fact that they went to ask for an emergency visa meant there was more scrutiny - just a thought.

In order to know if you have lost a regularly scheduled interview date, you would have to call them and find out. You will have to pay the application fees again.

Most embassys deny tourist visas because the applicant has not sufficiently proven intent to return home. You can always try again - there is no law against that. If you research tourist visa denials, you'll find some advice.

Lastly, you may want to call American Citizens Services directly at the embassy for advice - much better to get information directly from them than from the Mexican consulate in the US (they have NOTHING to do with US tourist visas and gave you wrong information).

In the end, the best solution may be to petition for them as part of your K1.

Good luck.

I think you're right. I really thought that all along, but when I spoke to the American Consul at the Mexican Embassy, they gave us so much hope. Talk about a huge let down. And if they are denied again, I don't think they'll want to try again considering how they were treated last time.

Thanks, Cheryl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.