handsofholes

What are some things you wish you knew when you began your visa journey?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I just registered to this site.

I am an American citizen filing a K-1 Fiancee Visa Petition for my fiancee who resides in the country of Lebanon.

Is there anything that you wished you had known prior to beginning this process that proved to be useful later?

Also, I used this K-1 visa guide from this website to compile the packet I am about to send: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Is it accurate and up to date? Or is there an official government website that lists all the required documents and information I should mail in?

Looking forward to learning more from this community so that this whole ordeal will go as smooth as possible.

Timeline

Yes, I've read that you automatically get your green card upon arrival and marriage with a CR1, but I don't think I will be able to do that.

What are your reasons for suggesting this, though?

Filed: Timeline

The VJ guide is pretty thorough and up to date. I would still recommend getting the forms directly from USCIS site, and you can read about the forms there as well. If I had to do it again, I would still do the K1. There are pros/cons in which ever path you take.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms

I wished we had married and AOSed from with the US whilst I was in the US in July 2012. Instead we submitted the K1 and I went back to the UK and the whole transatlantic relationship continued. We never realized at that stage that it would take 11 months until I could return for good to the US.

Other than that, same as Gowon, I wished we had gone the CR1 route. Cheaper and you can work as soon as you're back in the US.

Timeline

Umka36,

Why do you prefer the K1?

Is the added hassle of Adjustment of Status not so bad?

I really am dreading the possibility of getting the K1 visa, only for something to go wrong after our marriage during the Adjustment of Status.

Yes, I've read that you automatically get your green card upon arrival and marriage with a CR1, but I don't think I will be able to do that.

What are your reasons for suggesting this, though?

Relationship:

• I was able to give my Wife a proper cultural wedding in our hometown as opposed to the shenanigan I was gearing up for in the US. My Mum, her Mum and all of her siblings were there at the ceremony. This wouldn't have been possible with a K1.
  • As my Wife she afforded me all the privileges of being married in the eyes of my employer and the US government. Insurance, both health and automobile were better, tax bracket was also better.
  • Cheaper overall (but they did tack on a $165 fee during our process - aaaaarggghhhh).

Immigration

• This is my opinion not based on anything but that and others may disagree, but due to the age difference between me and my Wife (22 years) I believe that my embassy looks more favorably towards married folks. Not a guarantee that they'll give you a visa but I can take the "maybe he's trying to get his young relative to the US with a K1 visa" right off of the table.
  • She became a resident as soon as we stepped out of the airport. No AOS clusterfudging with USCIS.
  • No need for AP/AED or what not, she can go back home in case she needed to the day after POE. No panic posts about getting AP, making appointments with field office, etc

Good luck to you on the process.

Look at the process as a whole, that K1 is faster now may be gone in a sec as they do shift back and forth in speed between K1 and CR1.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I would advise you on K1. at this point the process is not that long and u guys can be together while waiting for green card. with CR1 the process is longer as it has the green card process included. but that is just me.

we choosed K1 because now while waiting for green card we are together!

good luck and a lot of patience no matter what u choose is important that by the end u will be together

event.png

event.png

Relationship:

• I was able to give my Wife a proper cultural wedding in our hometown as opposed to the shenanigan I was gearing up for in the US. My Mum, her Mum and all of her siblings were there at the ceremony. This wouldn't have been possible with a K1.
  • As my Wife she afforded me all the privileges of being married in the eyes of my employer and the US government. Insurance, both health and automobile were better, tax bracket was also better.
  • Cheaper overall (but they did tack on a $165 fee during our process - aaaaarggghhhh).

Immigration

• This is my opinion not based on anything but that and others may disagree, but due to the age difference between me and my Wife (22 years) I believe that my embassy looks more favorably towards married folks. Not a guarantee that they'll give you a visa but I can take the "maybe he's trying to get his young relative to the US with a K1 visa" right off of the table.
  • She became a resident as soon as we stepped out of the airport. No AOS clusterfudging with USCIS.
  • No need for AP/AED or what not, she can go back home in case she needed to the day after POE. No panic posts about getting AP, making appointments with field office, etc

Good luck to you on the process.

Look at the process as a whole, that K1 is faster now may be gone in a sec as they do shift back and forth in speed between K1 and CR1.

I would add to your list that I would not have had the issues I had with DMV regarding my driving license had I got my green card. It shouldn't be a problem with just my EAD but it has proved to be a problem.

Umka36,

Why do you prefer the K1?

Is the added hassle of Adjustment of Status not so bad?

I really am dreading the possibility of getting the K1 visa, only for something to go wrong after our marriage during the Adjustment of Status.

For us, we didn't want to be married and be apart as a married couple. She isn't part of the VWP country, so getting a B2 visa was not going to happen. I did attend her K1 interview and we flew back to the US together.

The AOS waiting game was not that bad for us when we filed in 2011, and my wife also wouldn't want to stay in the US if our marriage failed (it's different now since we have an 8 month old). She also attended ESL classes while we waited for the AOS interview, and met quite a few friends there.

You really have to budget all the cost out for either the K1 and CR1 journeys. I did talk with my wife over which process we should proceed with, and this was the best choice for us. I only recommend if you do the K1 to get married and file the AOS ASAP.