dburnt

planning for medical/interview

3 posts in this topic

I am still waiting for an NOA2, let alone a packet, but need to at least plan in my head. I live in Southern Ontario, and had thought to drive/train to Toronto for the medical, then take the train to Montreal. After reading a number of posts, I'm now not sure if I've planned properly...

Do I have to actually pick up the medical results personally? I guess I assumed they would/could be couriered.

Do I have to wait around in Montreal after the interview for something (assuming an approval of course)?

I am limited in the amount of time I can book off work, and the travel to Montreal is not just a couple hours for a flight...it is a full 10 hours each way (domestic flight is completely unrealistic financially). I was expecting to have to take 1 day for the medical, and 3 for the interview (assuming 2 travel days). Do I need to plan for more?

I continue to be amazed that any government could devise a process as convoluted and ridiculous as this one, and more amazed that Americans accept it, but here we all are...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband, then fiancé, also had his medical in Toronto, and took the train to Montreal. One day in Toronto for the medical exam, although he was actually there for 2 1/2 hours. He personally picked up the results a couple of weeks later. Three days for the Montreal trip should be sufficient. You will leave immediately after the interview, and then you will wait and wait some more for your mailer. Good luck to you, and like it or not, you are petitioning to eventually become a US citizen, these are the steps that have to be taken. We all get through it :)

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;104/st/20110610/e/NOA+1/dt/-1/k/39bf/event.png[/image]

[/link]

1) yes you have to pick up the medical results. Check the places you want to do the medical at to see how long it takes to get the results back. As far as I know most of them are fairly slow. The Medisys in Montreal is 3 days after the medical which can be couriered to you at an extra fee. You can do the medical at one of the other doctors of course and most courier for an extra fee, but there isn't a doctor in downtown Toronto anymore so you may want to check how difficult they are to get to.

2) You do not have to wait in Montreal for anything after the interview. I went home same day on a 2pm flight to Alberta. Had the visa in my hands the next day (but this was in June.) 1 overnight in Montreal will work for the interview, travel there, stay overnight, interview that morning and hop on a train home.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.