10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok so I recently received an RFE (a few days ago). It was laid out very clearly and told me I was missing a few things, which is totally fine, I guessed I must have misread some instructions or simply forgotten about these things.

They basically need a birth certificate for my co-sponsor to prove she's a lawful American, and a few more tax documents such as the W-2s and 1099s (and all supporting tax schedules) for the most recent tax year. So what they're asking for is very simple, and in an ideal world, I'd be able to get these from a filing cabnet in the house somewhere.

My problem is that I spent 3 hours sorting through my co-sponsor's papers the other night (which were all over her bedroom floor) looking for these documents and I couldn't find a sign of any of them. We checked the filing cabnet and the fire safe, but still no sign of her birth certificate or tax information. We already sent off her IRS papers for 2012 so I'm confident that they have this information, but what can I do about the W-2 and 1099? I know she will have to go to collect a new copy of her birth certificate and that shouldn't take too long, but is it possible to get copies of the tax stuff? And how long will that take? They've given me a 87-day time limit to get this information to them.

My husband suggested we just wait until the 2013 tax forms to come and send those off instead because 2013 will be the new most recent tax year and then we will have all the forms we need.

What do you guys suggest? I'm stressing out so bad.

And does it really take 90 days to process this stuff from the moment they receive the evidence? Am I really going to be unemployed for another 3 months? cray5ol.gif

Your help will be immensely appreciated at this time!

[November 2006] Met online on IMVU
[8th July 2010] First meeting in person (London Heathrow)
-1 month spent together-
[28th July 2010] Engaged!
[28th July 2011] My first time in America
-1 month spent together-
[July 2012] Finished School (A Levels)
[August 2012] I-129f Sent
[7th September 2012] NOA1 Received
[9th January 2013] My first winter in America
-1 month spent together-
[8th March 2013] NOA2 Received!
[6th April 2013] Letter from US Embassy in London Received!
[15th April 2013] DS Package sent off
[18th April 2013] Medical Exam
[20th April 2013] MRV Fee Paid
[22nd May 2013] Received Interview Date!
[24th June 2013] Interview! APPROVED!!
[27th June 2013] Visa Received!

[5th November 2012] AoS Package Sent
[5th August 2013] AoS Approved without Interview!

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

If you send them tax transcripts, then they don't need 1099s and/or W-2s. I ordered them on Monday of last week, and received them in the mail on Friday (they state it takes 5-10 business days, but it's usually faster than that). As for the birth certificate, it has to be ordered as well. Here is the link for IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

I hope this helps, good luck :)

Z

Timeline

If you send them tax transcripts, then they don't need 1099s and/or W-2s. I ordered them on Monday of last week, and received them in the mail on Friday (they state it takes 5-10 business days, but it's usually faster than that). As for the birth certificate, it has to be ordered as well. Here is the link for IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

I hope this helps, good luck smile.png

Z

It's really that simple! That's a relief. I'm pretty sure we already sent the Tax Transcript for 2012 but I guess it might have been missing some information? Who knows.. I'll get on nagging my co-sponsor to get a new birth certificate too! Cheers so much for your help! rose.gif

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

It's really that simple! That's a relief. I'm pretty sure we already sent the Tax Transcript for 2012 but I guess it might have been missing some information? Who knows.. I'll get on nagging my co-sponsor to get a new birth certificate too! Cheers so much for your help! rose.gif

You are welcome :) I'm just guessing, but it's possible that you guys sent them a copy of 1040 (individual income tax return) or tax account transcripts - in that case they want all schedules and tax forms. Make sure you order tax return transcripts (first online option, with detailed info) and not tax account transcripts.

Z

Timeline

What about a copy of her passport and driving license, might cover the Birth certificate. Also pay stubs may help

Her passport is expired and she doesn't have a current one, I didn't know you could use a driving liscence? Maybe I will try that, we found PLENTY of pay stubbs while we were going through her papers so I will include some of those if I feel like they'll need extra evidence.

You are welcome smile.png I'm just guessing, but it's possible that you guys sent them a copy of 1040 (individual income tax return) or tax account transcripts - in that case they want all schedules and tax forms. Make sure you order tax return transcripts (first online option, with detailed info) and not tax account transcripts.

Z

Yeah I think you're right, I remember seeing "1040" on the top of the first page when we sent them. I'll make sure I order the tax return transcripts! first online option

Thank yooouu luv.gif

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Timeline

Her passport is expired and she doesn't have a current one, I didn't know you could use a driving liscence? Maybe I will try that, we found PLENTY of pay stubbs while we were going through her papers so I will include some of those if I feel like they'll need extra evidence.

I went on the basis that it was impossible to give to much evidence.

Timeline

I went on the basis that it was impossible to give to much evidence.

True, they'll just chuck away anything they don't need I guess haha

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

A driving license won't prove she is a US citizen. She can order a copy of the birth certificate from the count clerk's office where she was born.

For tax records you need

1) Form 1040 and any schedules that may be part of the tax return +PLUS+ W2 or 1099 from the employer showing yearly earnings. Anybody could fill out a fake return, so the W2 Earnings form has to go with it as proof of earnings.

-or-

2) a tax return transcript, which is a summary from the IRS. It is stand alone with nothing else needed.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

A driving license won't prove she is a US citizen. She can order a copy of the birth certificate from the count clerk's office where she was born.

For tax records you need

1) Form 1040 and any schedules that may be part of the tax return +PLUS+ W2 or 1099 from the employer showing yearly earnings. Anybody could fill out a fake return, so the W2 Earnings form has to go with it as proof of earnings.

-or-

2) a tax return transcript, which is a summary from the IRS. It is stand alone with nothing else needed.

I just ordered a tax return transcript from the IRS yesterday, they said it would be 5-10 days getting here, so that's enough right? As for getting my co-sponsor to go get a copy of her birth certificate, I guess I'll have to keep on nagging. Co-operation is my problem here. sad.png

-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-
-1 month spent together-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.