cjbaker16

Shipping Companies + Costs

6 posts in this topic

This is probably duplicating previous posts but I guess for current info ... what are the costs involved for shipping and which companies do this?

Basically, I want to send my bed over. It sounds stupid but I am kind of attached to it. I figure we need to buy a new bed there, so if the costs weren't toooooo bad, it might be worth considering.

I wouldn't send the mattress but I want the bed frame.

I called Virgin and asked about taking additional baggage. It's $150 for an additional 23kg suitcase. I figure that will work out cheaper than posting and at least I don't have to wait, it will be with me.

I have gotten rid of everything else or leaving other stuff behind with my housemates. But I want my bed........

Side note I am also OUTRAGED at the cost of a one way ticket. I suspect I will buy a return ticket and just not obviously return :)

CB

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Are you just checking with Qantas or Virgin Australia? Might want to check United, they often have the cheapest prices for direct Sydney to US West coast flights.

K1 Visa

Service Center :California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2013-09-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-09-26

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-11-15

NVC Received : 2014-01-04

Packet 3 Received : 2014-01-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2014-01-27

Packet 4 Received :2014-02-07

Interview Date :2014-02-18

Visa Received : 2014-02-27

US Entry : 2014-03-17

Marriage : 2014-03-18

Adjustment of Status, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2014-04-25

NOA Date : 2014-05-02

Interview: 2014-07-09

Approval: 2014-07-09

Green Card Mailed: 2014-07-15

Green Card Received: 2014-07-18

Lifting of Conditions

Filed: 2016-04-13

NOA Date : 2016-04-21

Biometrics: 2016-05-04

RFE - 2016-11-22

Approved -2016-12-15

Card Mailed 1016-12-20

Card in hands : 2016-12-23

Good morning!

The price of the return ticket made me baulk also - daylight robbery my Grandma would say!

I sent 3 boxes (std removal box they call a tea chest) and 1 painting and it cost me $1000 via air through Pack and Send (they also packed it securely for me).

I had received an initial quote from International Shippers to send the boxes/painting via a shipping container and was quoted $850 (not including packing) to wait for 6 weeks for my items to travel across the pond.

So for the bargain price (insert very sad and bummed out smiley face..ha ha) I paid the additional $150 to get sent in a week or so including the packing.

Good luck with it all...

Take care

cj

Thank you. It will probably work out cheaper to just buy a new bed there.

I don't want to sound like a snob because I'm really not but I refuse to fly United. I did that once and never ever ever, ever again. Ever.

CB

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you. It will probably work out cheaper to just buy a new bed there.

I don't want to sound like a snob because I'm really not but I refuse to fly United. I did that once and never ever ever, ever again. Ever.

Not sure if you've seen or not but STA have an AMAZING deal on at the moment for $899 tickets to LA -- don't know if that helps you at all, but I figured I'd pass on the information, just in case :)

Journey so far:

08/31/2013: Sent I-129F Packet

08/19/2013: NOA1 Received

09/08/2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

10/15/2013: USCIS reported change of address

10/15/2013: NOA2 Received

10/21/2013: NVC Received Packet

11/05/2013: Packet 3 Received

12/12/2013: Status Updated. Awaiting Packet 4 & interview date

12/14/2013: Packet 4 Received

12/24/2013: Interview -- APPROVED!

01/02/2014: Visa printed and arrived in mail.

FLIGHT BOOKED FOR 04/15/2014 <3

• 2 weeks later...

LOL cj, yep wasn't happy with united either, virgin has such better service and price as well, doesn't sound snobby at all! I flew usa to Australia 4 times before my husband and I married, since then we've done heaps of trips to the US and my hub said "united is awful do we have to fly them again"? LOL no, we don't!!!

cheers dancin5hr.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.