Churches91

Co-sponshorship for incomeless fiance sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone, just getting into this whole immigration mess and have yet to file any forms. I want to get everything right the first time. So before my question I feel appropriate to give a bit of background information.

I'm 22 and a full time college student living with my parents whom are both retired in the USA. I'm a USC and have never lived out of country. My parents have a very large amount of assets but obviously little to no income since they no longer work. They recently financed their home (which took a lot of effort considering their lack of income and only large amounts of assets. My fiance to be is 21 and UK citizen. She has visited me once already about 1 week ago for a two week stay. She is coming again to visit in December or one month and go on a cruise with my family to the Bahamas. I'm sharing all this because I figure it may be helpful when we get to the interview process and I'm checking if I'm correct in assuming this.

My questions:

- Will it be possible to use a cosponsorship with my father if he has little income but very large assets? If so, would this work if I'm making absolutely zero income myself?

- My fiance plans to live with me at my parents until I have finished my degree and gotten on my own feet, my parents are more than supportive of this idea. However, is it even possible? My main concern being my lack of income and my fathers lack of income (even with assets) since I've hear fiance visa will not use assets and only income.

NOA1: October 15th 2013

Alien# Change: October 31st 2013

NOA2: February 28th 2014

NVC # Receive: March 26th 2014

Medical: April 3rd 2014

Interview: May 8th 2014

Yes for an interview at the embassy in London they will accept your Dad as sponsor instead of you. He fills out I-134 and provides proof of his assets. You fill out nothing.

Be aware that after the marriage there is another Affidavit of Support when she applies for her greencard...I-864 with different rules.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks nich-nick! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. It looks like you're from the same area as me do it's good to hear someone who has had success. Are you sure I fill out no form? From what I've read I still need to fill out a form even if I have no income. Thanks again!

-Eric

Thanks nich-nick! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. It looks like you're from the same area as me do it's good to hear someone who has had success. Are you sure I fill out no form? From what I've read I still need to fill out a form even if I have no income. Thanks again!

-Eric

It's a London thing. For the I-864 you will fill out a form. Here's one of many who only turned In a form from the mom sponsor. The interview was on Sept 18. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=6520831

Do your parents have a pension or social security? That counts. It doesn't have to be a job. I mention that because some don't know. Are you in school in Houston?

P.S. Your sponsor won't provide an affidavit of support until the interview. it's not part of the petition filing.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

It's a London thing. For the I-864 you will fill out a form. Here's one of many who only turned In a form from the mom sponsor. The interview was on Sept 18. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=6520831

Do your parents have a pension or social security? That counts. It doesn't have to be a job. I mention that because some don't know. Are you in school in Houston?

Good to hear!

My father does have a pension from what I understand, he also has a retirement fund from his company as well as his own investments. He is currently not taking out social security, he's waiting to get older so he receives more benefits from it, more than capable of living without it at the moment.

I'm actually in school at Sam Houston State University right now, this is my final year so I'm very excited. This whole thing is really giving me sleepless nights because I really love my fiance-to-be and everything seems so daunting, difficult, and hopeless. This whole process is very confusing and I'd love if some time I could maybe pick your brain in a private message or something?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.