Vanitas

Things you need to do before leaving the UK

103 posts in this topic

I started trying to get copies of my alevel certs and gcse certs to convert my UK qualifications to US with a company called WES ( or something) but it REALLY was a LOT of work and hassle and money. I eventually gave up. I would recommend paying someone to do it for u. Seriously

What is that regarding needing the "transcripts for every year of secondary education completed" though? Surely our certificates would be enough? I have my certificates but after reading that website, I have no idea what the hell they're going to need. What is everyone else doing?

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

What is that regarding needing the "transcripts for every year of secondary education completed" though? Surely our certificates would be enough? I have my certificates but after reading that website, I have no idea what the hell they're going to need. What is everyone else doing?

Unfortunately not. And I'll explain why I *think* they aren't.

I was looking at becoming a teacher and therefore having to do a Master's over in the States to enable this. When they list the entry requirements they usually talk about coursework or things you should have covered in your Bachelor's degree in order to be eligible straight off the bat (usually you can take courses to bring you up to speed if you aren't). The transcript from University will detail every single module you took. When you then have that transcript looked at by one of the companies in the US, I suspect they then look at your University's module guide (or course guide, whatever) to work out exactly what you had to do to pass that module. I also think they'll translate your grades into the US system of GPAs and all that so you can be assessed for that requirement as well.

In short? If you have a degree, it'd be a good idea to contact your University to get a transcript sorted. Mine from Kent Uni will cost £10 or so.

"What's yours is mine!"

Unfortunately not. And I'll explain why I *think* they aren't.

I was looking at becoming a teacher and therefore having to do a Master's over in the States to enable this. When they list the entry requirements they usually talk about coursework or things you should have covered in your Bachelor's degree in order to be eligible straight off the bat (usually you can take courses to bring you up to speed if you aren't). The transcript from University will detail every single module you took. When you then have that transcript looked at by one of the companies in the US, I suspect they then look at your University's module guide (or course guide, whatever) to work out exactly what you had to do to pass that module. I also think they'll translate your grades into the US system of GPAs and all that so you can be assessed for that requirement as well.

In short? If you have a degree, it'd be a good idea to contact your University to get a transcript sorted. Mine from Kent Uni will cost £10 or so.

Thing is though, on that site, it says about having a transcript for secondary education too. I've never even heard of this and don't know if mine would do it. I've never gone to college or uni here, just the basic primary and secondary education.

Would I need a transcript for my GCSEs? Has anyone here been through that?

(I have all of my official results certificates)

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

I certainly hope not because that would be hell to get for something like 10-12 individual subjects all from different exam boards..

"What's yours is mine!"

Thing is though, on that site, it says about having a transcript for secondary education too. I've never even heard of this and don't know if mine would do it. I've never gone to college or uni here, just the basic primary and secondary education.

Would I need a transcript for my GCSEs? Has anyone here been through that?

(I have all of my official results certificates)

There is no way u could get a transcript for every year of secondary school surely? That would make sense if you had to "pass" every year like in america but in the UK u just need to pass your GCSE's (which strictly speaking you dont *need* to pass even those), Your GCSE results will be sufficient along with certs from each of the exam bodies u sat ur exams with.

WES the company I was using did not want any of my gcse certs if i had done anything even remotely higher i.e foundation degree, diploma, a-levels etc.

There exact wording said "Only attach certificates of your highest level of education".

I did a lot of research on it at the time and it was my understanding that we have to sit a GED exam (or whatever its called that highschool students do) no matter what, and they will just use your results on that to determine your level of education so if you dont have a degree (like me) I dont see the point in getting your GCSE's converted.

As for a-levels i was going to get those converted just to see if it gave me ANY credits towards a college degree in the states but i think it worked out as something like 2 credits per a-level which is really just pointless for the stress of the whole process in the first place if u ask me

Oh P.S

The contact details are as follows:
Eng Lit, French, General Studies, Biology, Sociology, Philosophy, Eng Lang are all AQA exam board) You can either ring their switchboard on 01483 506506 and ask for candidates services or email examsrecords-s@aqa.org.uk
Psychology is OCR Visit their website, click on ‘Learners and Parents’ and follow the link to ‘lost certificates’. Then you must print and send the hard copy to them. Their telephone number for customer services is 01223 553998 in case you get stuck.
EDEXCEL( GCSE Maths) You must fill out this application form https://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/replace-certs-secure/Pages/default.aspx
Those are the only particular subjects for exam bodies I have on file as those were the only ones I was missing. Im sure you should be able to find out the exam bodies of any others online
Edited by Azsara

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Yes I remember talking about phone bills once and was shocked by how much he pays. I'm on the lowest possible o2 one here (I never call anyone!) with a data bolt on; never more than about £20 per month. Best recalibrate my expectations there!

We had the phone bill conversation too and Steve was like, ok im going to put you on my account we can get a really good deal, it will just be $75 a month for your phone and you get like 600mins. I was like, I pay £15 a month right now to Virgin for unlimited EVERYTHING

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

We had the phone bill conversation too and Steve was like, ok im going to put you on my account we can get a really good deal, it will just be $75 a month for your phone and you get like 600mins. I was like, I pay £15 a month right now to Virgin for unlimited EVERYTHING

It's crazy isn't it! Bob and I spoke about it again last night, he pays over $100 a month right now!!! Although he admits he's on an old tariff that he's not got around to updating yet, so possibly could exist on cheaper. I was literally like "You think I could get one for... half that? o_0". I don't want all my savings I'm going over there with to be eaten up by phone bills! :o:P

We were saying we'd both heard about the company Ting, which seems good value. But I don't think the coverage in Plattsburgh is very good (yet). Think what I'll do is drop down to a pay and go with my current, use that along with my Tracphone and go from there.

AOS // 12 months 3 days
April 13, 2014 NOA1 - April 16, 2015 Approved

April 27, 2015 Greencard received

K-1 // 8 months
Feb 22, 2013 NOA1 - Oct 23, 2013 London Interview
March 18, 2014 Married

Do you all mean like contacting the examination boards for the official certificates of your results? I have all of those already because I ordered them not long after I got the results, but I've never heard of a transcript for every year of secondary education completed.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

About phones ,my fiance pays like $40 per month and that includes international calling.it isn't a contract as such the money comes out of his account each month but he can basically leave at any time and don't have to stay with the network 18 months or whatever it is .I think some UK networks offer the same thing also .you probably have to buy your phone outright though (I don't know if contracts are the same in states where handsets are free on certain tariffs) ,you can more than likely do this with a SIM only for those who said they are keeping their phones ,as someone had mentioned though your UK phones may not be able to be unlocked to carry an american SIM .my fiance tried to get his American BlackBerry unlocked when he was living in uk and he couldn't ,the guy who owned the phone shop he went to was American and Said most phones can't be converted,this was 3 years ago though ,so it might be different with newer handsets anyways my fiance is with t mobile ill ask him more about it and get back to u guys

Edited by jola83

Can anyone clarify for me whether I need some form of transcripts for my secondary education? :S Online it only offers for college and uni, no results for secondary education.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Don't panic about 'secondary school transcripts' no one ever asks for those, unless maybe, you have nothing higher? University transcripts are what you need, and degree certificate(s).

As for mobile - I have an unlocked iPhone 4S (bought from Apple here) In the US it works with AT&T and I have a PAYG 'Go' sim, $25 a month for 300 min of calls and unlimited texts (within the US) $25 more for unlimited data. (You can pay a smaller amount for less data too). I believe it also works with T-Mobile but NOT Verizon which uses a different spectrum. In my shorter trips I don't bother paying for data as free wifi is everywhere or I just send texts.

(Yes, here I pay less than £10 a month for the equivalent including unlimited data but I get 50% discount as an ex t-mobile employee so I'm really spoilt)

Another medical thought:

If you're the kind of person who keeps on top of this stuff, have any check-ups before you go, so that they are up to date and you're not due another for a spell. Saves worrying about that on top of everything else.

Eg: eye test; dentist; smear test if you're a lady.

Not a major concern but doesn't hurt to have a bit of an MOT here where it probably costs less to do so! Then you know you're set for another year/six months before you have to think about it again. I think I will aim to do this.

AOS // 12 months 3 days
April 13, 2014 NOA1 - April 16, 2015 Approved

April 27, 2015 Greencard received

K-1 // 8 months
Feb 22, 2013 NOA1 - Oct 23, 2013 London Interview
March 18, 2014 Married

Agreed with Jo. Also, if you're on any medication/contraceptive pills try to stock up before you go!

1/11/18  N-400 Filed online

Agreed with Jo. Also, if you're on any medication/contraceptive pills try to stock up before you go!

That's in the original list I made, if you'll take a read. I also mentioned that if you're taking a lot of meds you may need a doctor's letter just in case your suitcase gets opened and you get asked questions.

"What's yours is mine!"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.