MilliK

How long do I have to wait for a decision after getting 'decision cannot be made' on N-652?

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My citizenship interview was on 7/9/2013. I only brought my current passport and not my old passport, so the officer gave me 'decision cannot be made.'

She checked the box 'Your passport(s) and any travel documents issued by the U.S.C.I.S.,' telling me to copy every page of my old passport, including any blank pages.

Which I did mail via Fedex - their tracking system shows that it was received on 7/16. (At least Fedex does a good job updating their system...)

As of 9/6/13, my case status on USCIS is still 'Testing and Interview.'

Yeah, I understand that a lot of people have seen slow case status updates.

But is it normal that it takes almost 2 months to just review your passport information?

Btw, I don't have any criminal records. Not even a speeding ticket.

Have been a green card holder for 5+ years, graduated from a 4-year high school and then university within the US, and work full time.

(Meaning that they already did some sort of background/good moral character check and it was fine then, at least...)

There is nothing I could think of that might prolong the process more than it already is.

Also, family members who applied around the same time as me, or even months after me, have already received oath letters and went to oath ceremonies. So I don't think anything related to family legal status or anything like that could prolong the process.

So my question is:

1. How to contact them?

I've heard a lot about making an infopass appointment, but that site tells me "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

Does calling the National Customer Service Center (1.800.375.5283) help at all?

2. What if my citizenship ends up getting denied?

Can I keep my green card?

I don't see why it would get denied, but if it does, can they go so far as to take AWAY my green card?

(Again, no criminal records. Not even a single tardy for 16 years of school, for heaven's sake...)

Thank you for all your help!

Edited by MilliK

Hi all,
My citizenship interview was on 7/9/2013. I only brought my current passport and not my old passport, so the officer gave me 'decision cannot be made.'
She checked the box 'Your passport(s) and any travel documents issued by the U.S.C.I.S.,' telling me to copy every page of my old passport, including any blank pages.
Which I did mail via Fedex - their tracking system shows that it was received on 7/16. (At least Fedex does a good job updating their system...)
As of 9/6/13, my case status on USCIS is still 'Testing and Interview.'
Yeah, I understand that a lot of people have seen slow case status updates.
But is it normal that it takes almost 2 months to just review your passport information?
Btw, I don't have any criminal records. Not even a speeding ticket.
Have been a green card holder for 5+ years, graduated from a 4-year high school and then university within the US, and work full time.
(Meaning that they already did some sort of background/good moral character check and it was fine then, at least...)
There is nothing I could think of that might prolong the process more than it already is.
Also, family members who applied around the same time as me, or even months after me, have already received oath letters and went to oath ceremonies. So I don't think anything related to family legal status or anything like that could prolong the process.
So my question is:
1. How to contact them?
I've heard a lot about making an infopass appointment, but that site tells me "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."
Does calling the National Customer Service Center (1.800.375.5283) help at all?
2. What if my citizenship ends up getting denied?
Can I keep my green card?
I don't see why it would get denied, but if it does, can they go so far as to take AWAY my green card?
(Again, no criminal records. Not even a single tardy for 16 years of school, for heaven's sake...)
Thank you for all your help!

You don't contact them yet and would wait at least 30 days. before contacting them. There is no way you would be denied, just chill and wait for your oath schedule by next week or RFE. You can't be denied unless you get a new criminal record. Again, just wait for your oath scheduling by next week.

Naturalization

04/08/2013 - N-400 Mailed

07/22/2013 - N-400 Recommended for approval

08/13/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Officially a US citizen.

08/20/2013 - I-130 for Mom mailed

09/02/2013 - NOA received

03/04/2014 - I-130 Approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't think you'll get denied either. The reality is that USCIS is a very regimented organization so any time soemthing happens that moves away from the "normal" flow of things it has a tendency to get put to the side until someone gets around to it. That's why so many advise not to miss, change or reschedule appointments if at all possible, as you could end up waiting months for an update.

I think your file is just sitting somewhere being overlooked and gathering dust. Someone will get around to reviewing the info you sent it and finally complete the case. Get in touch with your congressman and they can contact the USCIS to help you get things moving again if you don't want to wait any longer that you already have.

Hope you hear something soon.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Thank you for the replies, guys.

It helps to hear that things will be alright, especially with an organization that has such a non-transparent working process as this.

I have contacted my congressman and will wait and see what happens.

Thank you!

Thank you for the replies, guys.

It helps to hear that things will be alright, especially with an organization that has such a non-transparent working process as this.

I have contacted my congressman and will wait and see what happens.

Thank you!

I can tell me and you both have something in common which is impatient. I would be doing the same thing as you are if I was in your shoes but the truth is that your application is still fresh and too early to involve your congressman. Once a supervisor looks at your documents, all would be completed.

I am 99% confident you would get your oath schedule message/text before the next 2 weeks.

Naturalization

04/08/2013 - N-400 Mailed

07/22/2013 - N-400 Recommended for approval

08/13/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Officially a US citizen.

08/20/2013 - I-130 for Mom mailed

09/02/2013 - NOA received

03/04/2014 - I-130 Approval

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 weeks have passed and still nothing.

When I called them, they told me that I had to wait until 90 days after the day of the interview to take any action.

Has anyone ever had a case like this?

(Not guesses but actual examples)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

About 2 weeks have passed and still nothing.

When I called them, they told me that I had to wait until 90 days after the day of the interview to take any action.

Has anyone ever had a case like this?

(Not guesses but actual examples)

I've seen some people waiting for a month or 2 nothing to worry about. It all just depends on how busy is your local office and how often they make oath ceremonies. Don't worry about it though 2 weeks is not long, I know you are excited to finish the journey. But you gotta give them some time as well. I hope you hear something soon. Good luck.

Hi silkafi88,

Thanks for your response.

Actually that 2 weeks is from the date I initially posted this. The period of time I waited since the interview is already more than 2 months, hence the worry.

But I guess there is nothing much I can do at this point.

If anyone who see this had a similar case (described in the initial post), please let me know.

Thank you!

Which congressmen did you contacted?

Im thinking i should contact them also......

I contacted Congressman John Campbell.

It didn't really help. They responded promptly to my email, but it was a very general response on immigration, not even mentioning a single time anything about naturalization specifically.

Maybe calling them would be a better idea. I haven't tried that yet bc the email response was so unpromising.

If you fill in your timeline, people could help you better (plus it helps others that come before you), but basically, they will probably start to pay attention to your file once you come close to being outside of the processing time and until the, there is little you can do. What was your initial NOA date/filing date? If you are already outside of processing, I would call and say so. If that gets you nowhere, then call and politely but firmly ask to speak to a tier 2 agent.

I will tell you that they needed more time on my file which they told me about at my interview. I wasn't worried because it was a routine thing that needed to be done (an additional name check) but the officer did tell me that I should hear something in a couple of weeks. It took almost three months. And then, the week I would have been out of the processing time, I got a call from USCIS scheduling me for my oath that same week. I got the letter the morning of the ceremony.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

If you fill in your timeline, people could help you better (plus it helps others that come before you), but basically, they will probably start to pay attention to your file once you come close to being outside of the processing time and until the, there is little you can do. What was your initial NOA date/filing date? If you are already outside of processing, I would call and say so. If that gets you nowhere, then call and politely but firmly ask to speak to a tier 2 agent.

I will tell you that they needed more time on my file which they told me about at my interview. I wasn't worried because it was a routine thing that needed to be done (an additional name check) but the officer did tell me that I should hear something in a couple of weeks. It took almost three months. And then, the week I would have been out of the processing time, I got a call from USCIS scheduling me for my oath that same week. I got the letter the morning of the ceremony.

All of the timeline including and after the interview is in the original post.

7/9 interview, 7/16 additional document received, question posted 9/7, today is 9/20.

Receive date was 12/28/2012.

But the thing about the officer telling you that they would call you in 2 weeks, then contacting you in 3 months really helped. I guess since I can't do anything until 90 days after the interview (per the service center), I have no option but to wait.

I can't believe they sent the letter on the morning of the ceremony and expected you to be there, but I guess that's just how inefficient they are.

Oh well.

Edited by MilliK

No, they called me at the start of the week to ask if I could attend a ceremony that week. I said yes, I was free. I was told not to wait for the letter, but it came the morning of anyway.

And that's not a timeline. Your timeline can be filled in here: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=168246

It's a permanent record of your history and others can search it so that they know what to expect for their own journey. You can look at others' timelines here: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/filterlist.php?cfl=

Wait.. are you saying that your NOA1 date is 12/28/12? If so, the processing timeframe for Santa Ana is 5 months. You are way out of processing time.

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

I talked with Tier 2, but they says that USCIS field office scheduled the oath ceremony and they told me to go INFOPASS but, it didn't helped me.

I live in San Francisco, and processing time is 5 months.

also, my priority date is 04/07/13, and interview was 7/22/13 but i don't received the oath letter yet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.