MarkYYC

K1 Visa Last Minute Vaccination Question

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys

I have my medical scheduled for Monday, and my interview on wednesday in Vancouver. Up until today, I was under the impression that the panel physicians help you determine what vaccines you need to update/have, based on the records you supply. Apparently that was wrong though:(

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a travel clinic to get these done, but I have seen a LOT of conflicting information on what vaccines you actually need. Is it based on age? If so, I am 29 right now (1984). I was planning on bringing in the whole list I was sent from Dr Cheema and having them shoot me up, but if someone can give me more information, I would like the use of my arms tomorrow!

Thanks!

Mark

Timeline

The vaccines you need for your age group are:

MMR - it takes two shots to complete the series. They must be spaced 1 month apart. If you grew up in Canada you will probably have at least one shot already, if not both.

Varicella - it takes two shots to complete the series. If you have had Chickenpox, you only need to supply the year you had it. Otherwise, you need to have a blood test done to prove that you are NOT immune PRIOR to getting the shots. The health unit has Varicella, I was not able to get the shot at the travel unit.

Tdap - it MUST be Tdap NOT Td. This shot is good for 10 years and can easily be found at the health unit.

Flu shot - You do not need to have this if your interview is on wednesday.

Good luck!

Note: Flu shot is based on Flu season which I believe is October to February/March (not sure but you get the idea)

Timeline

Thanks for the info! So far things are looking good, except I have one record of an MMR shot, and one of just measles & rubella.

Does it need to be a TDAP shot specifically? I have a record of Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus, but its split over 5 shots (1984 x 3, 1986, and 1989).

I also realized that I went to college in the USA, so I checked my colleges immunization guidelines, and I believe they have the same requirements that I need now. Hopefully I can find those records!

Thanks for the info! So far things are looking good, except I have one record of an MMR shot, and one of just measles & rubella.

Does it need to be a TDAP shot specifically? I have a record of Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus, but its split over 5 shots (1984 x 3, 1986, and 1989).

I also realized that I went to college in the USA, so I checked my colleges immunization guidelines, and I believe they have the same requirements that I need now. Hopefully I can find those records!

See http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Sounds like you have the DTP from your childhood, the Tdap is a 10 year booster

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Go and get a Tdap shot. You need to have a recent one (within the last 10 years). I had to get one too. I called up Healthlink in Calgary and they told me where I could get the shot. I got it for free too!

You need it for sure though.

event.png

Timeline

Hey guys

I have my medical scheduled for Monday, and my interview on wednesday in Vancouver. Up until today, I was under the impression that the panel physicians help you determine what vaccines you need to update/have, based on the records you supply. Apparently that was wrong though:(

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a travel clinic to get these done, but I have seen a LOT of conflicting information on what vaccines you actually need. Is it based on age? If so, I am 29 right now (1984). I was planning on bringing in the whole list I was sent from Dr Cheema and having them shoot me up, but if someone can give me more information, I would like the use of my arms tomorrow!

Thanks!

Mark

Hey! I have my medical and interview scheduled for the exact same days!! Maybe I'll see you there :)

I'm so nervous, just praying it all goes alright. Goodluck to you!

For the shots I'm quite sure I have everything I need. is Tdap= Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus? I have received it withing the last 10 years.

K1 VISA

01/15/2013-I-129f sent
01/17/2013-NOA1 date
02/01/2013-NOA1 hardcopy received
06/19/2013-NOA2 APPROVED!
07/11/2013-Case forwarded to DOS (took them long enough)
07/30/2013- Case received by Vancouver. Received packet 3 via email
08/16/2013-Received packet 4
09/09/2013-Medical
09/11/2013-Interview APPROVED!
09/23/2013-POE YVR airport
10/22/2013-Marriage

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

01/23/2014-Filed for Greencard
02/10/2014-NOA1 received
03/12/2014 RFE :(

03/18/2014-Biometrics
05/20/2014 Work permit received
July 2014 interview and approval! Received green card!

August 2014 found job!

and the journey continues....

Timeline

Hey! I have my medical and interview scheduled for the exact same days!! Maybe I'll see you there smile.png

I'm so nervous, just praying it all goes alright. Goodluck to you!

For the shots I'm quite sure I have everything I need. is Tdap= Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus? I have received it withing the last 10 years.

Yes, just bring the proof of immunization :)

Timeline

Yes, just bring the proof of immunization smile.png

Great!! Thanks:)

K1 VISA

01/15/2013-I-129f sent
01/17/2013-NOA1 date
02/01/2013-NOA1 hardcopy received
06/19/2013-NOA2 APPROVED!
07/11/2013-Case forwarded to DOS (took them long enough)
07/30/2013- Case received by Vancouver. Received packet 3 via email
08/16/2013-Received packet 4
09/09/2013-Medical
09/11/2013-Interview APPROVED!
09/23/2013-POE YVR airport
10/22/2013-Marriage

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

01/23/2014-Filed for Greencard
02/10/2014-NOA1 received
03/12/2014 RFE :(

03/18/2014-Biometrics
05/20/2014 Work permit received
July 2014 interview and approval! Received green card!

August 2014 found job!

and the journey continues....

Make sure you have immunity to varicella too... Just having a chicken pox scar I don't think counts. >.<

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Not sure... I made sure to get myself tested for it's immunity just in case and took that with me. Even though I have a chicken pox scar on my arm and one by my eyebrow.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A verbal declaration of chickenpox.

or

Proof of immunization against chickenpox. Normally two immunizations 4 to 8 weeks apart or the first of the two within the 4 weeks prior to your immigration medical examination.

or

An antibody titers blood test showing proof of immunity to chickenpox (varicella).

http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age6.htm

My mom or I were not sure if I had it or not so I did get the titre test done but it looks like they will accept verbal declaration..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.