ajames79

I have an opinion only question!?

33 posts in this topic

I know I am the only one who can answer this question, but I just need some gut feeling answers from you guys. Please be kind as this is the only thing that seems to make me up tight at the moment! :) Ohh and thanks in advance.

Packet three is sent in...Medical is next week...we expect packet 4 with-in 3-6 weeks time (providing a little extra time because of holidays)

So that guestimates in my mind a visa by the end of Jan or Feb. there abouts.

Do you all think it would be okay to go ahead and set a June wedding up? The third weekend. That is several months away. But the problem I am coming too is the booking of our venue and the rooms. Neither of which require a deposit..or a huge deposit. But they are filling up fast.

Both places are in high demand and they can't wait for me. I am from a very small time and venues are VERY limited. We would hold out on tickets for his family..just to be sure. We wouldn't order invites or anything personalized!

So what do you think? Is it a bad risk...or is it a calculated risk?

Thought I'd post a question to all the Uk'ers rather then the off topic.

Please give me your gut feelings!! :whistle: I am really overly insane on this topic!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

If you are happy to lose any money paid if you have to delay the event then go ahead... only you know if you are happy to plan and arrange your wedding to then maybe have to change it all at the last minuet... hope it all goes well for you...

Good Luck

Kez

If the places don't require a deposit, or only require a small deposit, I'd go for it! June is very popular for weddings, so you're probably better off to get yourself down for something now (esp. if you can do it deposit free).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm with Tracy. If the amount of money you would lose is not great, then go for it.

Perhaps if you already had paid a deposit, they might be more apt to work with you should you need to change the date.

And, June seems realistic for the wedding. The only problem I see with this is what if the visa comes early - like the end of January. I guess you'll be waiting a few weeks before he comes over, since you gotta get married in 90 days......

There's always something isn't there?

gosh I love this forum! Thanks ladies..

Becca and Tracy...we have pre-calculated (the best you can in this visa journey) That even if we get a visa in Jan/Feb for instance. He won't move here till end of April~May. Seeing that you have 6 months to enter the country.

Reason being he can get another few months wages in savings and he'd like to take 3 weeks off to do some British hikes he's always wanted to do. Which works for us.

Plus I suppose if worse comes to worse we could sign the marriage paperwork and do a wedding later in June if we HAD to.

I think I might start calling around to see for sure about the deposits. I think (with a little bit of nervousness) that it is a good calculated risk.

Just anxious for everything to go well and his family to have a great event...especially if this is the only time they will travel here.

Kez..thank you, I suppose there is always some risk. I'd just prefer to think this one is a better risk then perhaps if I was planning to marry in April. Ohh the insanity! :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Go for it.

Like you said, if it comes early you can do the legal thing and have the big one in June.

If you dont have any forward movement by late January, I would start contacting your elected representatives.

Good Luck

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Go for it.

Like you said, if it comes early you can do the legal thing and have the big one in June.

If you dont have any forward movement by late January, I would start contacting your elected representatives.

Good Luck

Good advice. I can't imagine that we would have problems...but then again ANYThing can happen during this process.

Thank you so much for your input! Ohh and what a beautiful picture you have there!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi,

If all your ducks are in a row, and you have prepared ahead of time, safe to say you should be done with it, and have the visa.

June is 7 months away-you've got plenty of time. Our CR1 took 8 months and 4 days from NOA1 to his arrival.

If she gets here early, you can just go to the courthouse and make it legal without having to say anything to the guests. Then, have your wedding as planned an no one is the wiser.

: )

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I sent my packet 3 back on the 2nd Dec by special delivery, it arrived at the embassy on Monday 4th Dec same day as my medical, they sent me packet 4 by return post the appointment letter is dated 4th Dec, the interview date is 31st Jan.

Based on my experience I think gambling on a June wedding would be safe.

Just one thing I have noticed, interview scheduling does seem to take account of travel dates and planned wedding dates, if you want your interview in well before your wedding I think it may be counter productive to give a wedding date too far ahead.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

I sent my packet 3 back on the 2nd Dec by special delivery, it arrived at the embassy on Monday 4th Dec same day as my medical, they sent me packet 4 by return post the appointment letter is dated 4th Dec, the interview date is 31st Jan.

Based on my experience I think gambling on a June wedding would be safe.

Just one thing I have noticed, interview scheduling does seem to take account of travel dates and planned wedding dates, if you want your interview in well before your wedding I think it may be counter productive to give a wedding date too far ahead.

so your advice is to not write a wedding date on the forms when you send them in.

Good advice, if I am reading it correctly!

Mrs. Bruce....thank you thank you! I agree. You know how some of us girls are, we want to plan things out so well in advance. :) Thanks again, ~Amanda

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Trust me-I know ALL too well about that planning stuff. ;)

I used to look one step ahead of the visa process and turn things out the day I found out they were generated...Mr. Bruce used to think I was losing my marbles (and I think I was, come to think of it !)

As for the wedding-I was too busy obsessing over immigration to plan anything....so, we did a courthouse thing-y here in NY in November 2005 and then- a BIG one in Scotland 3 months later. I let my MIL plan everything, as she loved every minute of it and I'd trust her with my life. The only thing really I did was pick out my dress & the favors...

I have to say, she did a FINE job. The wedding was rockin' !!!

I wish you the VERY BEST with yours, and hope you speed through this with ease !

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Tee hee! Isn't all this wedding stuff FUN?

I can't believe I'm going to start dress shopping in the next month or two...! :D(L) (L)

SA4userbar.jpg

Trust me-I know ALL too well about that planning stuff. ;)

I used to look one step ahead of the visa process and turn things out the day I found out they were generated...Mr. Bruce used to think I was losing my marbles (and I think I was, come to think of it !)

As for the wedding-I was too busy obsessing over immigration to plan anything....so, we did a courthouse thing-y here in NY in November 2005 and then- a BIG one in Scotland 3 months later. I let my MIL plan everything, as she loved every minute of it and I'd trust her with my life. The only thing really I did was pick out my dress & the favors...

I have to say, she did a FINE job. The wedding was rockin' !!!

I wish you the VERY BEST with yours, and hope you speed through this with ease !

We considered doing a wedding in England. But my mom wanted to do it here. She is doing a lot here for us and she never had a wedding. In a way most of this is for her, I mean it things that I would like too but she seems to have a lot of imput. So far it is a Okay with me.

Some days I think I am losing my marbles. Poor Christopher. He has to bring me down a few levels once in a while. Honestly though I can't imagine doing all this without this website.

I'd be way worse!

I did call the wedding venue..gave them the date and they are getting back to me.

I called the hotels and booked a meeting with them. SO...I guess, my wedding is set for *gulp* June 23rd, 2007.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Tee hee! Isn't all this wedding stuff FUN?

I can't believe I'm going to start dress shopping in the next month or two...! :D(L) (L)

It is fun, nerve wracking, but fun.

The dress shopping which I thought would be strange was actually quite a fun trip! Good luck finding yours!

I had nothing in mind when we went. Tried on one dress...and bought it. It is lovely!

Gotta do shoes now!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am with everyone on this, make the booking and pay the deposit, you should find out in plenty of time to either cancel or WOOHOOOOO continue with the plans

Good luck for your future :thumbs: hope everything goes according to plan

Glad to see that you are going shopping for your dress TracyTN, you've waited a long time for this, I hope you have the best shopping day ever :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.