Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

thank u so much, that helps me a lot :thumbs:

been dating since june 1st 2007

dec-08 -officially engaged,i went back to France to apply for k1

2-11-09:noa1

3-06-09:My angel is visiting me

3-16-09:my angel is going back to the states

6-06-09: received NOA 2 HARDCOPY!!!!! ( notice date:-05-29-09)

Timeline
thank u so much, that helps me a lot :thumbs:

yup she is right...i got to have two shot updated....and i had to be back at the doc...and you know what? my car has been taken to the fourrière....

i won my day. :blush:

i was 40 mn late, time to have my car back, bc the shots were in it...and well, i have been refused for the appointment... we can arrive at worst 30mn late, after they refuse the entry. :angry::angry:

well, anyway, i am waiting for the custodies for my child...so anyway i had the re-do th einterview, so no big deal, just a bit frustrating that things didn't happen as they should.

Marriage: 01-26-2032

homesick: 01-30-2032

Divorce: 10-13-2032

you will stay married for 290 days.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
i remember asking here a while ago about the visa fee and i got a response that it was 107 euros, but i keep seeing that it s 325 dollars

so i am a lil confused, can someone explain this to me,im trying to figure out how much i will need total for my trip to paris and ambassade.

also i read that i can do my blood tests and xrays on my own and bring it to my visit medical? is that true? if so what are the requirements ?

Re: medical -- And don't do the tests and X-rays in advance: for the Paris embassy, you can't do them in advance, they'll just have you do them again. That's what the doctor told me. There's no way to cut the cost of that one, unfortunately. Actually, the only thing is to have your vaccines updated, so you don't have to go twice to the doctor's.

Hope that helps...

Sorry that the medical didn t work for you. But it did for me ;)

I did blood test and Xrays in advance and get reimbursed by my social security for that, and then I just had to pay the visit, around 80 euros I think. But when you call the doctor make sure to state that you already did Xrays and blood test in advance, so instead of coming early in the morning they make you come later in the afternoon. Because the morning appointments are for the people who will need to get these done.

Or as soon as you received the package with the list of doctors call them and see. I forgot the name of the guy I chose, all I remember is that he was in Trocadero.

Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Hello everybody,

I am new on VJ - I've been registered for like 2 years but this is my first post!

I am the Frenchie, and I already got married to my American, in France, in Oct. 2007. And trust me, marriage is not the end of the problems, or at least it wasn't for us :no:

We've already been through the whole distance thing, and all the hassle about both trying to be together working in the same country, we even tried to go to Canada in hope that it will work for us! So we decided to get married, and to avoid another separation to do it in France where it's a bit easier. I was also lucky that he spoke a little French and liked France enough to try to live there for a while. So he got his papers here in France (carte de séjour), found a job a little after that, in a different city than me, but at least we didn't have to cross an ocean to see each other! then his mother got cancer, he had to come back to the US, and after a few months when he finally came back to France he had obviously lost his job. Then the economic crisis came along, and now he has been unemployed for more than 6 months. On top of that he's starting to miss his family and friends a lot, and he's really wearing out, even starting to really hate France :(

So we're considering doing the DCF since we meet all the requirements.

Sorry for the long story! my question is, I've seen that, on this particular forum at least, not that many people have been through the DCF, but does anybody know how long does the whole process take through the Paris embassy?

I've read that after 2 years of marriage I can get the definitive green card right away and not the "conditional" one. And we're going to celebrate our 2-year anniversary at the beginning of October, so at this point it would be stupid not to wait, so I'm wondering, when should I approximatively start the process?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Camille

Hi Camille,

Have you tried asking your question in the DCF forum? I think most of us came through K-1 or did AOS in the US from another visa. From what I have read, the DCF process is extremely quick, 2-3 months tops. I do believe that the green card doesn't get activated till you enter the US so let's say you apply now, get your visa in July. You could wait till November to enter the US to active your permanent green card as opposed to the conditional one. But go and double check in the DCF forum, they will know more!

I am sorry to hear about your hubby. I am in the exact same position, just reverse. The joy of dealing with the french government after 7 years. Oh boy!

Welcome by the way and good luck! :)

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We bought our first house earlier this month :)

I guess it'll be some nice additional paper work when we remove the conditions next spring.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everybody.

Starting vacations today and having a flight to the US on Friday.

NVC just received our AOS and our IR package.

I have been a little stressed and tired and it took me a while to assemble all.

Finally done, hoping all will go through well. Now waiting for medical and interview date.

Our K3 did get to the Embassy. They called us and sent us a package but

I did not send back anything. Not seing K3 interest. I did not want to play the game of the K3 interview transformed into IR interview. The lady of the embassy calling for the K3 did not inspire me (she called not at a good moment (I was on an work audioconference) and she hung up on me after dictating her instructions.

For the interview and medical we hope it will be second half of August

because I am in the US until mid August and my plans / ticket are not flexible.

My husband is my agent so I imagine we will receive the info at his US address.

NVC is very nice and quite efficient it seems. If medical and interview dates are not good I hope it will be not too difficult to reschedule.

Hope flight and entry on Friday will be smooth.

should be my 45th entry....

Going through Reykavik.... first time ever.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Have a nice trip. :)

I'm going too, next Friday actually, and I will be there till 9th of August.

We got our NOA1 just 2 days ago btw, can't wait. ^^.

Feb. 2007 : meet online

March 2008 : Fell in love

May 2008 : officially "dating"

June 21st 2008 : ingame "wedding" haha

-------------------------------------------------

July 14th 2008 : bf gone to basic training

August 30th : graduated - on the way to tech school :)

October 30th : graduated tech school - moving base :)

Dec. 23rd 2008 : 1st visit - bf arrival in France (yesss !)

Dec. 28th 2008 : introduced him to parents (they love him, wheee !)

Jan. 4th 2008 : bf gotta go back to the US, sad day.

May 1st 2009 : 1st time in the US, got to see my love again whee !

May 9th 2009 : Civil Union :)

May 24th 2009 : Going back to France, booh :(

June 17th : I-130 package sent

June 27th : Got delivery confirmation

June 29th : Got NOA1 yeeey !

July 10th : Back in the US to see my love :)

August 10th : And back in France again :(

Sept. 18th : Touched

Sept. 29th : got an RFE :(

Oct. 6th : RFE answer received by USCIS

Currently : ready to go back to the USA and see my loved one !

Timeline

Congratulations Cecy! :)

Have a good trip, Frenchwife!

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Hi Lili,

Thanks a lot for your answer :):) !!

About the DCF forum, I checked it already but because the timing seems to be different depending on what embassy you go to, I figured I asked directly to people that are somewhat related to France...But you're right I should check it again.

So are you saying you're trying to get your husband the French papers too?

04-23-2010 : I-130 petition at the French embassy

05-21-2010: I-130 approved and Packet 3 received

06-07-2010: DS-230 Part I sent

06-23-2010: Packet 4 and interview notice received

08-10-2010: Interview => Visa denied because problem with affidavit of support - need for a new sponsor.

09-23-2010: New affidavit of support sent by mail to the embassy

10-6-2010: Visa approved

11-6-2010: POE in Charlotte

12-13-2010: Green Card received!

Timeline
Hi Lili,

Thanks a lot for your answer :):) !!

About the DCF forum, I checked it already but because the timing seems to be different depending on what embassy you go to, I figured I asked directly to people that are somewhat related to France...But you're right I should check it again.

So are you saying you're trying to get your husband the French papers too?

Have you tried doing a search by timelines and narrowing it down by embassy? Or maybe a simple forum search. It is true that it varies from one embassy to another but Paris is a relatively quick one. :thumbs: Worst case scenario, start your own thread. I am sure some people will chime in! :)

They just changed the rules for long term visa for the spouse of french citizen, so nobody really knows what is happening. For now, we are leaning more toward doing the french citizenship but it is not easy as it doesn't seem to be a common thing when done abroad. So I am at the stage of "we don't know" from consulate officers, it is just fun! :whistle: It is okay, we still have three years before we are moving but until then, oh boy, love the french government! :)

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

Sorry to pop in just like that but I would like to have your points of view / experience...My boyfriend is American and we've been together for more than 2 years now- we are talking about getting married and going through the K1 visa process. I'm not quite ready in my head to go through that journey yet as I have to deal with my parent's feelings about the whole "me moving to the US". But I'm still enjoying reading VJ posts as we share the same feelings, have the same issues..etc...

I would like to know how many times you visited your SO prior to be married? How many often were you going to the US?

I'm asking that as I'm going to visit my SO at the end of July and I'm starting to be worried that the US immigration officer will think I visit too much the US..Let me explain :

- August 08 : I came back to France as my J1 visa expired. I stayed for 2 years and a half in the US (1 year as an aupair & 1,5 years as a trainee for a PR company in NY)

- December 08 : I came back to the US for a week to spend New Year's eve with my boyfriend- I wasn't expecting the US immigration officer to be rude BUT he asked so many questions for 10 minutes that I really thought he will never put the stamp in my passport, but he did at the end.

- April 09 : I went to the US for 1 week for my boyfriend's birthday- I didn't have that much problem- the officer asked the regular questions (do you have job in France? Why are you here for ? - I told him tourism this time as in December I said I was coming to visit friends & the guy went kinda nuts after that...)

- August 09 : I'm going to the US for 2 weeks.. I have my round-trip ticket.

I have a job in France and I'm expected to be back at work on Aug 18th - I'm arriving in France on the 17th- I'm bringing my working contract, my round-trip tickets, a certification letter from my boss to say that they're expecting me back at work on the 18th, my bank statement to show them I have money for these 2 weeks.

I was wondering if that the US officer may think that I'm coming too often to the US and so far they have never asked me if I had a boyfriend there. If they do ask me, I don't know what I'll say- I think I'll say yes to be honest but that's a risk...

So I was just wondering your points of view and also maybe your experiences...

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Ferline

Edited by Ferline

Hello!

Sorry to pop in just like that but I would like to have your points of view / experience...My boyfriend is American and we've been together for more than 2 years now- we are talking about getting married and going through the K1 visa process. I'm not quite ready in my head to go through that journey yet as I have to deal with my parent's feelings about the whole "me moving to the US". But I'm still enjoying reading VJ posts as we share the same feelings, have the same issues..etc...

I would like to know how many times you visited your SO prior to be married? How many often were you going to the US?

I'm asking that as I'm going to visit my SO at the end of July and I'm starting to be worried that the US immigration officer will think I visit too much the US..Let me explain :

- August 08 : I came back to France as my J1 visa expired. I stayed for 2 years and a half in the US (1 year as an aupair & 1,5 years as a trainee for a PR company in NY)

- December 08 : I came back to the US for a week to spend New Year's eve with my boyfriend- I wasn't expecting the US immigration officer to be rude BUT he asked so many questions for 10 minutes that I really thought he will never put the stamp in my passport, but he did at the end.

- April 09 : I went to the US for 1 week for my boyfriend's birthday- I didn't have that much problem- the officer asked the regular questions (do you have job in France? Why are you here for ? - I told him tourism this time as in December I said I was coming to visit friends & the guy went kinda nuts after that...)

- August 09 : I'm going to the US for 2 weeks.. I have my round-trip ticket.

I have a job in France and I'm expected to be back at work on Aug 18th - I'm arriving in France on the 17th- I'm bringing my working contract, my round-trip tickets, a certification letter from my boss to say that they're expecting me back at work on the 18th, my bank statement to show them I have money for these 2 weeks.

I was wondering if that the US officer may think that I'm coming too often to the US and so far they have never asked me if I had a boyfriend there. If they do ask me, I don't know what I'll say- I think I'll say yes to be honest but that's a risk...

Ferline

Hi Ferline,

This is not too often at all! Don't worry for a second...

I dated my boyfriend for 4 years before we decided to get married, and I came to the US as a "tourist" many many times. I can't even count them anymore. I never had any problem about it.

I never told Immigration that I was visiting my boyfriend -even though they asked. I said "I'm visiting some friends". And I don't see why they should know anything else anyway.

The one time I had a tiny problem is when I came for 3 months. I stayed 89 days, just under the legal amount of days allowed as a tourist, and they checked and asked me several times if I had a job to go back to. They advised me not come back to the US right away after this particular stay.

I think they said that to scare me (it worked) and my next trip after that (about 5 months later) was easy as pie.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you and your boyfriend!

Sophie

Et alors je viendrai à vous, telle une goutte illimitée vers un océan sans bornes.

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Hi Ferline,

This is not too often at all! Don't worry for a second...

I dated my boyfriend for 4 years before we decided to get married, and I came to the US as a "tourist" many many times. I can't even count them anymore. I never had any problem about it.

I never told Immigration that I was visiting my boyfriend -even though they asked. I said "I'm visiting some friends". And I don't see why they should know anything else anyway.

The one time I had a tiny problem is when I came for 3 months. I stayed 89 days, just under the legal amount of days allowed as a tourist, and they checked and asked me several times if I had a job to go back to. They advised me not come back to the US right away after this particular stay.

I think they said that to scare me (it worked) and my next trip after that (about 5 months later) was easy as pie.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you and your boyfriend!

Sophie

Thanks a lot Sophie- it's always great to feel that there is someone that is going through the same things...

4 years- gosh that's quite a time... we are already going crazy after not even 1 year..what kill me the most is to see him leave or when he's driving me to the airport in NJ...that's always a heartbreak...

All the best for your visa process...fingers crossed that everything will go fast for you guys!

Timeline

Well, I am afraid I can't be of much help as I was on an F-1 visa while I was dating hubby.

However, on the long distance aspect of thing, I can't give you my take. When we first dated, I was living in Washington state and hubby was in Nevada. We maintained the long distance for a year, I saw him 4 times in a year. I know the heartache at the airport. :( The only way to appease it was that we kept in constant contact and that we had a plan (him moving to WA state). Do you have a goal, maybe a deadline to when you both sit down and make a choice? It helps to keep going through life.

Have you considered having your boyfriend live in France for a while so that maybe your parents get to know him better? That way, it will appease them to know that their daughter is going far away to safe hands. :)

Good luck!

Timeline

Hello everyone!

I just got my interview date for the K-1 Visa and I'm so excited that I had to tell someone :D

Ferline : Sophie is right, that's not often at all!!! :)

I had a long distance relationship with my american for 6 looooooooooong years, and I used to go to the US about 6 times a year. 50 % of the times I had problems at my port of entry (that's why I ended up always scheduling my connecting flights 3 to 4 hours after getting into the port of entry), and most of the times I would just tell them that I was gonna go see my boyfriend (because, just like you, If I said i was gonna go see friends the officer would just go mad and ask me if I was taking him for a fool because no one goes to the US 6 times a year just to see friends) sometimes I would even add that I was going to see my boyfriend to try to convince him one more time to come and live with me in France :D (which was true, at that time none of us really wanted to leave our carriers and social lifes...).

If you have a letter from your employer and everything, it should be fine... they might give you a hard time (and god sometimes they can be mean! ) but they will most likely always stamp your passport... specially if they see that you've been there a lot and always went back to France, respecting your tourist visa:)

I wish you all the best! And maybe just like me and my american, soon you'll be planning the wedding. At the beginning, my parents and sister where all scared about me going to the other side of the world with a "stranger" (and I was scared myself) but after long years with my american coming for christmas, coming for some of the family vacations and everything they are more excited than me with the planning of the wedding and even with the K-1 visa procedures :D

Good luck with everything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.