MrMrsKnight

Need help with address change!!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone!

David rented and moved to a new house in September, around the same time we got our NOA2. As you can all tell by my timeline, my interview is gonna be on Jan 2nd and I have a few questions before printing out the forms, that I have already filled out by the way.

- Is it okay to put his old address (which is a house his brother owns) as his current one? I ask this because even though we love this new house, there's a tiny chance we'll move again before the AOS... I just want to save the trouble of changing it all the time along the process.

- If it's not okay, how and who should I notify of this change?

Thank you guys.... keep your fingers crossed and pray for me as my interview is coming!!!!!! :star:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Timeline

MrMrsKnight,

Information should be current as of the date that it is presented.

Yodrak

Hey everyone!

David rented and moved to a new house in September, around the same time we got our NOA2. As you can all tell by my timeline, my interview is gonna be on Jan 2nd and I have a few questions before printing out the forms, that I have already filled out by the way.

- Is it okay to put his old address (which is a house his brother owns) as his current one? I ask this because even though we love this new house, there's a tiny chance we'll move again before the AOS... I just want to save the trouble of changing it all the time along the process.

- If it's not okay, how and who should I notify of this change?

Thank you guys.... keep your fingers crossed and pray for me as my interview is coming!!!!!!

Timeline

Yodrak, I actually asked this question because I've read on this forum that when people move around all the time, are in college, or abroad, they can choose an address (like their parents' house) to give as their home address and have their Immigration related correspondence sent to.

His old home address (again, his brother's house) is not any less of a home adress than the new one is, in my opinion.

What do you all think?

Btw, I saw this thread has been moved. I think that if I change the address, I have to change it with the USCIS.... so this is not only Embassy related. It also involves my AOS and a lot of people could benefit from the information that will hopefully be posted here.

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

MrMrsKnight,

The situation that you described is not the same as a college student who lives away from their parent's residence while school is in session, or a person who goes abroad for a period of time without abandoning their permanent place of residence in the USA, or people who "move around all the time" and do not establish a primary place of residence. You wrote that your husband has moved to a new place of residence from which there is but a tiny chance that he will move again. Yes, things may change again, but from what you've written your husband is in a new place of residence where he and you would like to stay and intend to stay unless something left unmentioned occurs.

The USCIS is out of the picture at the moment, the next time you or he has to submit something to the USCIS use the then current address - be it the new address he has just moved to or some other place that he has moved on to. He's not on parole with the USCIS while you pursue your visa, he does not have to report in every time he moves.

Once you do arrive in the USA, and he has submitted an I-864 as your sponsor, then he will have to keep his address current with the USCIS. (As will you, as an alien in the USA.) But for now he can move as often as he wants without telling the USCIS a thing.

You write that you want to avoid the trouble of changing his address "all the time", yet you are under no requirement at this time to change it at all. You are wanting to avoid work that you are creating for yourself.

Yodrak

Yodrak, I actually asked this question because I've read on this forum that when people move around all the time, are in college, or abroad, they can choose an address (like their parents' house) to give as their home address and have their Immigration related correspondence sent to.

His old home address (again, his brother's house) is not any less of a home adress than the new one is, in my opinion.

What do you all think?

Btw, I saw this thread has been moved. I think that if I change the address, I have to change it with the USCIS.... so this is not only Embassy related. It also involves my AOS and a lot of people could benefit from the information that will hopefully be posted here.

Timeline
You write that you want to avoid the trouble of changing his address "all the time", yet you are under no requirement at this time to change it at all. You are wanting to avoid work that you are creating for yourself.

Yodrak

Yodrak, thank you. The quoted part finally answered my question. I do want to say that I'm not creating work and that is the very reason why I created this thread, to ask before doing something I don't have to do. I haven't affirmed that I'd have to do anything or notify anyone of his address change.... I simply asked.

By the way, he's my fiance, not my husband. :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

MrMrsKnight,

I know. I was reacting to your VJ name. You might want to be careful where you use that name, it could create a question in the minds of people who could put the immigration process on hold while they ask you to provide an explanation, and prove it.

Yodrak

By the way, he's my fiance, not my husband.

Timeline
MrMrsKnight,

I know. I was reacting to your VJ name. You might want to be careful where you use that name, it could create a question in the minds of people who could put the immigration process on hold while they ask you to provide an explanation, and prove it.

Yodrak

By the way, he's my fiance, not my husband.

Yeah I know :star: We use that screen name online because FutureMrMrsKnight would be too long. :P

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello FUTURE Mr.Mrs Knight!!

Just want to say Hi. Glad you now have your interview date in hand. BTW I moved also during process (soon after NOA2 approval) and just left "as is" until after interview / flight to USA. Then sent out notice to USCIS (via some form - sorry, do not remember the name atm) of address change for us. THis address change never affect AOS. Just be sure to file address change within 10 days of your arrival to be on the safe side as noted in USCIS website.

Good luck!! :thumbs:

d

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.