Marc & Solika

DS-160 requirements for Cambodian Mother in law. Correct info?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi all!

My Cambodian mother in law wants to visit us in the US. She will soon fill out the DS-160 form online with the help of a translation company in Cambodia that is supposed to be familiar with this process. My only question is that they are telling her that she needs a letter from her daughter and son in law (me, US citizen), stating where she will be staying and for how long, and take it to the interview. I don't feel this is correct. It seems to me, this will hurt her chances of being approved. As I understand, they don't care about who you will be visiting and for what, but ONLY that you will RETURN. Am I correct? Thanks for any help you guys may provide

Marc & Solika

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I guess the letter could be proof that she is going there to visit you and return. It could highlight the fact that she is going there for a legitimate reason with a definite endpoint. It will most likely depend on your country if she needs it or not. I applied for a visitor's visa, and I just said that I was going there for vacation, and I had family there. Didn't really need to provide proof that I had family there, but you do write a contact person and address you'll be staying at the US... But then again it's a low-risk consulate

Edited by ArianneChris

engaged happy.png - February 2013

129F NOA1 receipt date- March 11, 2013 (NOA1 sent March 13, 2013)

Touched - Name spelling correction - March 20, 2013

Transferred to TSC - July 10, 2013

NOA2 - July 23 smile.png

Shipped to NVC - August 15

NVC Received - August 22

Auckland Consulate Received- August 28

Packet 3 Received - September 7

Medical - September 9

Packet 3 Sent - September 9

Packet 4 Received - Sept 11

Interview - Sept 19

Visa received - Sept 26

POE - 25 December luv.gif

Wedding - 11 January heart.gif

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

She doesn't need it.

The translator probably just want more fees.

The letter will neither help or hurt since she already has to disclose on the visa application that her daughter lives in the US. The letter adds no new information that would be relevant.

You can tell them no and have your wife and MIL blame you for for the denial, or you can suck it up like my brother did for his wife's mother because he would rather pay for unnecessary services if it cost him very little versus the bitching that he may have to listen to.

Sometime the right thing is what makes them happy and not blame you. It's often not what we think is prudent.

Although it's BS, my advice is to do it.

Timeline

Thanks guys for your comments. I will go ahead like most of you have suggested and write the letter. If she needs it, it there and if not she just doesn't use it. I tend to agree with aaron2020. There seems to be so much mis-information in other countries in regards to the requirements needed to come to the US with any type of visa. There's always someone's brother's cousin's aunt's friend who got a visa this way or that way, and the info is passed around so much that its all wrong and outdated. Thank goodness for VJ!!

Timeline

Hello all,

How do I start a new topic so that it appears in Cambodia portal as the one I am replying to now.

I know this much:

Forums/General Discussion Area/Regional Discussion/Asia:East and Pacific.

Is there anything to add to so that the topic will shows at Cambodia portal?

Thanks

• 6 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 8/25/2013 at 9:49 PM, aaron2020 said:

She doesn't need it.

The translator probably just want more fees.

The letter will neither help or hurt since she already has to disclose on the visa application that her daughter lives in the US. The letter adds no new information that would be relevant.

You can tell them no and have your wife and MIL blame you for for the denial, or you can suck it up like my brother did for his wife's mother because he would rather pay for unnecessary services if it cost him very little versus the bitching that he may have to listen to.

Sometime the right thing is what makes them happy and not blame you. It's often not what we think is prudent.

Although it's BS, my advice is to do it.

one of the best piece of advice I've seen on this site.

"Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer and

petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, that is superior to every frame of mind, shall be garrisoning your hearts and your apprehensions in Christ Jesus."

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Houston TX
Date Filed : 2022-03-12
NOA Date : 2022-03-13
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date : 2023-01-06
Approved : Yes
Oath Ceremony : 2023-01-21

USPS INFORMED DELIVERYhttps://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.