pro_star

Delaying after the visa has been issued?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, here's the deal. Yes, we just got our NOA2...so we've still got some time. But here's my concern. My house hasn't sold yet!!!! Panic!!! So I know that once the consulate gets the approved petition, I can extend on that end for four months at a time, which is awesome.

But, here's the tricky question. How hard is it to extend the visa itself, once that's issued? I mean, once I go through the medical, the background checks, the interview...I know I have six months, but what if it takes longer to sell? (I'm really hoping it doesn't, and my realtor is telling me that October is the big "closing" month...)

Other pushing issue: my consulate will be Vancouver. If I drive it, it's mountain passes...which, okay, I'm Canadian, I can handle, but I'd rather not do it in the dead of winter! Fall, I can handle. Winter...well, I'd rather not.

Anyone have experience extending the visa past the six month mark? Can it be done? Or am I better off requesting the delays from Vancouver's end?

Thanks gang, you all have been AWESOME!

...and yes. It does really excrutiatingly suck that my life is on hold with this.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

I'm not sure of the exact answer to your question, but another thing you could consider is delaying your interview. You can choose a later interview date and thus, will be issued the Visa later and then still have your 6 months after that. :) Once you have your interview in Vancouver (that's also where I had mine), they issue your Visa pretty quickly.

Timeline

Also, another important thing to note is that if your interview is AFTER your NOA2 date (mine was, because I chose to delay my interview), they will automatically change your NOA2 expiration date for you the day of the interview. I had a panic attack that my interview was after the NOA2 expiration date and the Vancouver consulate emailed me back the following:

This office will revalidate/extend your expired petition on the day of the interview.

Timeline

Phew good to know. It's just stressful. I mean, when the house is sold I want to pack up and go....not wait around for more red tape stuff, you know?

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.