raoi0639

DS-156 Confusion

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The actual DS156K form requires that a birth certificate, evidence of engagement, evidence of financial support, and police certificates, etc. "must be attached" I thought these weren't required until interview day. Others have said they sent off the checklist without having obtained all the documentation (ie. the police certificate) to keep things moving. Is it ok to send off the packet 3 without attaching these documents?

The actual DS156K form requires that a birth certificate, evidence of engagement, evidence of financial support, and police certificates, etc. "must be attached" I thought these weren't required until interview day. Others have said they sent off the checklist without having obtained all the documentation (ie. the police certificate) to keep things moving. Is it ok to send off the packet 3 without attaching these documents?

Yes.

ROC:

17-JUN-2016: Filed I-751

24-JUN-2016: VSC NOA

09-JUL-2016: Biometrics appointment Raleigh, NC ASC

AOS:

04-JAN-2014: POE

07-JAN-2014: Filed for SSN

18-JAN-2014: Wedding in Wilmington, NC

31-JAN-2014: Filed for AOS (lockbox received 01-FEB-2014)

05-FEB-2014: NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

04-MAR-2014: Biometrics in Raleigh, NC

09-APR-2014: I-765/I-131 approved

14-APR-2014: EAD/AP Card Received (mailed 11-APR-2014)

14-MAY-2014: Notice of delay in processing, estimated completion NOV-2014 :(

28-JUN-2014: Reception in Wilmington, NC

11-AUG-2014: Card production notice! :)

15-AUG-2014: Hardcopy I-797 Approval of AOS

18-AUG-2014: Card in hand.

K1:

25-DEC-2012: Proposal!

10-JAN-2013: Filed I-129F (lockbox received 12-JAN-2013)

16-JAN-2013: NOA1 VSC (hard copy received 22-JAN-2013)

30-MAY-2013: Transferred from VSC to TSC

24-JUN-2013: NOA2 electronic notification (hard copy received 27-JUN-2013)

16-JUL-2013: USCIS sends to NVC

22-JUL-2013: Case number assigned, sent to MTL. (called DoS instead of NVC)

24-JUL-2013: Case received at MTL. (hard copy received 27-JUL-2013)

08-AUG-2013: Packet 3 mailed to MTL via XPressPost (MTL received 12-AUG-2013)

20-AUG-2013: MTL logs Packet 3 and sends Packet 4 (happy birthday Christopher!)

28-AUG-2013: Medical (Dr. Seiden, results received 03-SEP-2013)

07-OCT-2013: Interview (Approved!)

10-OCT-2013: Visa ready with Loomis! (picked up 17-OCT-2013)

Are you filing through Vancouver or Montreal?

If filing through to Vancouver, all you need to send is the checklist and form DS-230. You don't need to actually send anything else. Just have everything ready for the day of your interview.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

This would be through Montreal. I do wonder why the form asks for all these documents when you don't need to send. Is it used for other purposes? If it wasn't for this forum, I would never have known. I'm curious. Is it specified elsewhere that they should not be sent -- other than the contradictory mention on the checklist.

This would be through Montreal. I do wonder why the form asks for all these documents when you don't need to send. Is it used for other purposes? If it wasn't for this forum, I would never have known. I'm curious. Is it specified elsewhere that they should not be sent -- other than the contradictory mention on the checklist.

The form is just trying to make sure that you actually have everything before an interview is scheduled. Looking at this http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Canada&cty=Montreal It appears that you need to fill out all of the forms listed and fax them and the checklist to the consulate. The other things listed on the checklist will be needed during the interview.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.