kerry_and

Changing a foreign address

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have filed a I-130 back in may for my wife. At the time, she was living in China, and I was living in Hong Kong. We are currently on vacation in the US, and we will return to Hong Kong in september. She will move in with me in Hong Kong, so I have tried to change both her's and my own address to the same place in Hong Kong. I tried to do it over the phone, and they gave me the run-around, so I went to my local USCIS office in Milwaukee. The lady changed my address to the updated Hong Kong address, and supposedly changed my wife's address also in the computer. The lady suggested that I also mail a letter to USCIS so that they have it in writing, as she has said that they will sometimes mail it to the address which is written, instead of what is in the computer. I would like to do this as soon as possible, so I want to write the letter, but I am not quite sure what headings and other things I should write on it. I was going to point to question #22 on the I-130 form, and say that I would like the visa to be processed in Hong Kong, and also that I would like her address changed to the following address which I had on file.

What format should I write this in to update the application?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

EDIT - PS

the application is currently at the "MSC", which I deduce is the Natinoal Benefits Center... The lady suggested mailing the letter there, so I would just mail it to

National Benefits Center

P.O. Box 25920

Overland Park, KS 66225

Is that correct? Do I need to add an "attention" to it?

Edited by kerry_and

I would call back and just ask to confirm your current address. There's no need to send in a paper if it's already in the computerized system.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

This is what I plan to submit, and just mail it to the office.

August 9, 2013

USCIS

National Benefits Center

P.O. Box 25920

Overland Park, KS 66225

Dear USCIS,

I am writing to you regarding my I-130 Petition, receipt number ________________. The petition was received by USCIS on May____, 2013, and it is currently being processed. I am a US citizen, who lives in Hong Kong. I am the petitioner for my wife, who is a Mainland Chinese Citizen. I am currently on vacation in The United States, and I recently changed addresses in Hong Kong after filing my initial I-130. I went to my local USCIS office in _______ to change the address. At the time of filing the I-130, the beneficiary had an address in mainland China. I attempted to change the address of the beneficiary from China to Hong Kong, as my wife now lives with me in Hong Kong. The USCIS officer informed me that both of our addresses have been changed in the system, but that it would be necessary to put in writing, and have it sent to the USCIS office where my application is being processed. Both the petitioner (_____________________) and beneficiary’s (________________) address should have been changed to the following:

XX, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXX, XXX, XXXXXX

Hong Kong SAR

I would also like to note, that for question #22 on the I-130, I left the answer blank as the beneficiary is not living in the United States. However, I was not sure if I should have put a US consular abroad, in the answer location, so it was left blank when originally filing the form. However, if it was necessary to write a US consular abroad, I would like that her visa, be processed at the United States Consular, located in Hong Kong.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Any thoughts?

Edited by kerry_and

I wouldn't say you "live" abroad. Maybe say something like you are "currently residing" abroad. Remember- you will have to prove that you intend to move back to the USA. And saying you "live" abroad might make that more difficult.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.