CanadianTNguy

TN Visa at the Canada - US Border

4 posts in this topic

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello.

I am seeking some clarity about the TN visa. I am in the final round of an interview process for a job which would qualify for a TN visa. I need to have some certainty that I will get the TN visa before I give notice to my current employer. Once I have an offer letter, I am considering driving to the nearest POE (a few hours) to apply for the TN. If approved I would basically have lunch across the border and then head back to Canada to then give notice to my current employer, pack, move, etc.

Does anyone have any information on whether this is possible? I imagine people generally activate their TN when they are actually moving, but I can't risk that and don't want to quit my current job until I know I will have my TN. I can't for the life of me understand why it would not be possible to do this. Is there any requirement that one has to actually be traveling down to their place of work on that trip in order to get the TN?

Thanks all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The TN is good for multiple entry into the USA I belive. I did mine at Niagara Falls then came back across and flew back to Orlando from Toronto. But I had already accepted the job. CBP asked me about my travel plans

Edited by Cliff&Liz

Filed: Timeline

When I applied for my TN back in 2010, I had the same mindset: I was hoping to get my new place rented before driving down with all my furnitures. When I crossed the border, the officer asked about my travel plans and I told him I'm doing a 1-day trip, then will officially move down a couple of days later. He directed me into the office for the procedure, but told me to tell the officer inside the office that I'm actually moving down that day as applicants are not allowed to get their TN in advance. Maybe every officer is different? But just sharing my experience.

- MC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.