malamaja

NVC AOS - HELP please

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys

The NVC finally processed our AOS and came back with 2 questions:

1) Item 13.a.1. The income you enter must match the total (gross) income reported on your most recent Federal income tax return.

We filled this out using the recommended Tax Return Transcripts. My husband (USC) has been working in Sydney for 7 years so all his income is foreign. We used the "Wages, saralies, tips, etc" line from the transcript. Which in my opinion is the total (gross) income. Both I and my husband called the NVC. They were quite friendly but not overly helpful as they cannot actually see the form we lodged. Both of the staff members we spoke to said that the "Wages, salaries, tips, etc" amounts are what is required. And they suggested we send the SAME form again. With no changes. I really don't want this to come back again. We're paying hefty FedEx charges every time because I don't trust Australia Post.

2) They want a copy of my (non-USC) Aussie tax return. We're using my income as evidence of support as well. My employment with my company will continue post my move to US. This is easy enough. I have a copy of the 2012 on-line tax lodgement and the ATO notice of assessment. I will send them both.

Did anyone else have any experience with something like this? Any suggestions? VanessaTony... you always have sound advice. Am I missing something, in particular with item 1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi we had no problems at all. My husband has been working in Australia for 14 years. When he submitted his US tax he used forms 1040. (Standard for and the 2555 which is the foreign income if you fall under the income). We didn't seem to have a problem and they didn't ask for my tax returns at all. The only problem we had was getting the transcript. We ended up getting them from the IRS office (we went over at Christmas time for holidays) and that was a drama in itself...lol because we went at Christmas time it is the end of their financial year so it took hours on the phone hours sitting in the office and then my husband got them.

But overall the answer to you question is just resubmit because your income shouldn't come in to it. I agree with you about the FedEx it cost us so much in postage fees just to make sure all the forms got there on time.

M.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.