Florianns Man

Any Tips on Bringing my Baby to Manila?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have all the necessary paperwork so what I am looking for is ideas about how to travel with a three month old. My husband won't be with us so it is just me and the baby. How easy is it getting on the planes with breast pumps, bottled milk etc.

Any general baby travel tips would be appreciated

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate :

I-129F Sent : 2010-03-09

I-129F Received : 2010-03-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-03-12 "touched"

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-04-29 APPROVED!!!!

NOA2 Hard Copy : 2010-05-04

NOA2 Sent to Embassy 2010-05-10

NOA2 Received 2010-05-13 (I hope it is ours anyway)

Packet 3 : 2010-05-20 Received!!!

Packet 4 : 2010-06-29 Received!!!

Interview: 2010-07-20 - APPROVED

Visa On Hand : 2010-07-21 ( Yahoo!!!)

POE - August 20, 2010

AOS,EAD & AP

October 15,2010 Sent AOS,EAD & AP ( Chicago Lockbox)

October 25,2010 - Received Hard Copies of AOS,EAD & AP

October 25, 2010 - Touched

October 27, 2010 - Received Biometric Scheduled ( dated 19.Nov.2010)

November 19, 2010 - Biometric Schedule done

December 09,2011 - Interview Notice Received - schedule on January 20, 2011

December 22,2010 - EAD Approved

December 23,2010 - AP Approved

December 30,2010 - AP Received

December 31,2010 - EAD Card Received

January 20,2011 - interview - Approved - (Exactly my 5 months I landed in US)

January 29,2011 - Green Card Received - (Exactly 1 year that we got engaged)

I just traveled alone with my 4 month old. I breastfeed so no bottles or formula for us. I brought a travel boppy pillow so he can be comfy on the flight, and a nursing cover just in case. Don't bring your electric breast pump because the plug won't work in the philippines anyway. I brought my manual pump. It will be hard but you can do it! You can ask your neighbor or flight attendant to hold the baby when you need to go to the bathroom. I just changed his diaper while he was on my lap. Thank goodness he did not poop! On the way to Manila he slept for most of the trip. I go back in two weeks, I hope he cooperates again :) in the airport I used a sling to carry him so that my hands are free and I went through security wearing him on the sling. Goodluck!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I travelled internationally twice with my son. First when he was 6 months and the most recent when he was about 15 months.

Travelling with a baby younger than my son (5 months below) is easier compared to what I "endured".

Try familiarizing yourself with wraps/slings. You'll have both your hands free and wrap can work as a nursing cover.

Bring toys that your LO is familiar to and bring a new one - for entertainment purposes.

If you haven't done yet, request for a bassinet from your airline. Availability is seat dependent. It should be free.

When you're using bottles - get a disposable one, ex Playtex Nurser and some extra nipples. It'll lessen your diaper bag load and wouldn't have to deal with tagging along empty bottles.Downside - you'd have to bring your own water specially if the baby drinks some specially water. Airport security will just check the water and powder formula.

Whenever I go to the bathroom, I just brought my LO with me. But you can def ask your neighbor, seatmate to help out.

Try not to bring a lot of carry-on items so you're not stressed out in carrying them and the baby.

Lastly - enjoy every minute of it and don't stress too much. Most of the time baby would just be sleeping.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I travelled internationally twice with my son. First when he was 6 months and the most recent when he was about 15 months.

Travelling with a baby younger than my son (5 months below) is easier compared to what I "endured".

Try familiarizing yourself with wraps/slings. You'll have both your hands free and wrap can work as a nursing cover.

Bring toys that your LO is familiar to and bring a new one - for entertainment purposes.

If you haven't done yet, request for a bassinet from your airline. Availability is seat dependent. It should be free.

When you're using bottles - get a disposable one, ex Playtex Nurser and some extra nipples. It'll lessen your diaper bag load and wouldn't have to deal with tagging along empty bottles.Downside - you'd have to bring your own water specially if the baby drinks some specially water. Airport security will just check the water and powder formula.

Whenever I go to the bathroom, I just brought my LO with me. But you can def ask your neighbor, seatmate to help out.

Try not to bring a lot of carry-on items so you're not stressed out in carrying them and the baby.

Lastly - enjoy every minute of it and don't stress too much. Most of the time baby would just be sleeping.

We are planning on travelling too soon and our LO will be 8 months old. Do you think it is good to just get a seat for the baby?

Any advice would be nice and appreciated.

Anything that is discounted I am for it! LOL Seriously, take advantage of just paying 10% and tax for the LO. That is if you are travelling with your husband. (On a different note, you can do it without the husband too.. I did it.. so can you! :) )

Just bring with you a lot of patience.

Also, I was thinking if maybe you can get an aisle seat and one window seat so the middle seat would be empty. if the plane is not full, you or the plane can just give you the space. If not, you can just ask the person in between you and the husband to exchange seats. Risky, I know! :)

LOL

Oh and try not to bring bulky strollers! If you are, check it in. I prefer an umbrella stroller.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day.

On a related note, where does one change the baby's diaper at? Does one do it in their own seat? Is there a fold-down changy table thingy sometimes found in restaurant/department store bathrooms or does one just change the baby in the aisle or to the rear of the aircraft? I don't recall seeing changing tables inside the aircraft lavatories.

Anyone?

James

Timeline

I just traveled alone with my 4 month old. I breastfeed so no bottles or formula for us. I brought a travel boppy pillow so he can be comfy on the flight, and a nursing cover just in case. Don't bring your electric breast pump because the plug won't work in the philippines anyway. I brought my manual pump. It will be hard but you can do it! You can ask your neighbor or flight attendant to hold the baby when you need to go to the bathroom. I just changed his diaper while he was on my lap. Thank goodness he did not poop! On the way to Manila he slept for most of the trip. I go back in two weeks, I hope he cooperates again smile.png in the airport I used a sling to carry him so that my hands are free and I went through security wearing him on the sling. Goodluck!

Thank you for your replied. I appreciate it.

Oh! I supposed to bring my electric breast pump thanks for the tip. Anyway, Did you bring a light stroller for gate check? I don't have a sling to carry her but I have a body carrier that I can use at the airport and planes. Well changing diaper in your lap is a good idea as well as long as no poop.:-)

Have a safe journey as well for you.:-)

Event Date

Consulate :

POE - August 20, 2010

AOS,EAD & AP

Timeline

Thank you it gives me an idea how to get through this long journey. I appreciates all the tips.:-)

When we choose our seats we got the one which are vacant seats next to us, just in case no one will seat there its a bit spacious for the baby.:-)

Event Date

Consulate :

POE - August 20, 2010

AOS,EAD & AP

There is a make shift changing table in the aircraft.

They don't have belts so be careful. :)

Yes! You can gate check your stroller.

Also another plus of having a baby with you, you get to board first. LOL

Timeline

There is a make shift changing table in the aircraft.

They don't have belts so be careful. smile.png

Yes! You can gate check your stroller.

Also another plus of having a baby with you, you get to board first. LOL

mrsSpitze,

Question please. We'll be traveling with an infant to the Philippines for the first time. Where are the makeshift changing tables located? Inside the lavatories?

Thank you

mrsSpitze,

Question please. We'll be traveling with an infant to the Philippines for the first time. Where are the makeshift changing tables located? Inside the lavatories?

Thank you

Yep! Inside the lavatories! :) Bring extra milk if you are formula feeding as they usually don't have the kind your baby drinks - and vice versa.

Timeline

Yep! Inside the lavatories! smile.png Bring extra milk if you are formula feeding as they usually don't have the kind your baby drinks - and vice versa.

Any tips regarding infant medications like creams and ointments to hand carry? Do I need to put them in a plastic bag during security check?

Does the baby diaper bag is allow to hand carry aside from your personal hand bag? I know I am allowed to have 1 hand carry luggage and then a personal hand bag.

Thanks again.

Event Date

Consulate :

POE - August 20, 2010

AOS,EAD & AP

Timeline

I just traveled alone with my 4 month old. I breastfeed so no bottles or formula for us. I brought a travel boppy pillow so he can be comfy on the flight, and a nursing cover just in case. Don't bring your electric breast pump because the plug won't work in the philippines anyway. I brought my manual pump. It will be hard but you can do it! You can ask your neighbor or flight attendant to hold the baby when you need to go to the bathroom. I just changed his diaper while he was on my lap. Thank goodness he did not poop! On the way to Manila he slept for most of the trip. I go back in two weeks, I hope he cooperates again smile.png in the airport I used a sling to carry him so that my hands are free and I went through security wearing him on the sling. Goodluck!

Btw, I am not sure since you mentioned that electric breast pump plug won't work in the Philippines, how about using an adaptor?

Event Date

Consulate :

POE - August 20, 2010

AOS,EAD & AP

Timeline

Btw, I am not sure since you mentioned that electric breast pump plug won't work in the Philippines, how about using an adaptor?

Florianns,

An adaptor will work just fine. I didn't need one on my first visit to Mindanao as my inlaws house was wired 120V just like here in the states.

Adapator sets are cheap and normally have 4-5 types to accomodate different countries requirements.

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.