3 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm putting together a RFE packet to send out soon. So far they've asked more more financial records and our 2010 taxes.

We filed seperately with our 2010 taxes because I wasn't working and it was our first taxes filed together. So we didn't know what we were doing, unfortunately.

They have our 2011 tax transcripts along with bills, car insurance, etc with both of our names.

Now, before sending our 751 we didn't have a joint account. Because we didn't need one with our then financial status and living conditions. It was just easier for me to pay for major things (rent, bills), and have my husband pay for everything else (gas, groceries, etc.). Plus he has a lot of student loans to pay off.

For my RFE packet, I have all our joint statements since we've opened it plus our 2012 tax transcript. Now, do we need to add a letter to explain about our 2010 taxes? How should I word it?

I feel so frustrated, we had such a smoother intereview for the conditional GC interview, in out in 10 minutes with instant approval. We're college sweet hearts and I've been in the US since I was 3 years old. We don't have any assets and are not well-off people, thus the lack of financial inter-mingling. Help!

Hello!

I'm putting together a RFE packet to send out soon. So far they've asked more more financial records and our 2010 taxes.

We filed seperately with our 2010 taxes because I wasn't working and it was our first taxes filed together. So we didn't know what we were doing, unfortunately.

They have our 2011 tax transcripts along with bills, car insurance, etc with both of our names.

Now, before sending our 751 we didn't have a joint account. Because we didn't need one with our then financial status and living conditions. It was just easier for me to pay for major things (rent, bills), and have my husband pay for everything else (gas, groceries, etc.). Plus he has a lot of student loans to pay off.

For my RFE packet, I have all our joint statements since we've opened it plus our 2012 tax transcript. Now, do we need to add a letter to explain about our 2010 taxes? How should I word it?

I feel so frustrated, we had such a smoother intereview for the conditional GC interview, in out in 10 minutes with instant approval. We're college sweet hearts and I've been in the US since I was 3 years old. We don't have any assets and are not well-off people, thus the lack of financial inter-mingling. Help!

Include the 2010 tax transcripts as asked for in the RFE. As long as you filed married, I do not see a problem. If you filed single then I would file an ammended tax return for 2010 and see which causes you to pay the least amount of taxes--filing jointly verses seperately. You might want to get the 2010 tax return and just do them filing jointly and see how that affects your tax bill. Typically with one spouse not working it is best to file jointly instead of seperately--you may have given the US government some of your hard earned money.

Good luck,

Dave

He filed married, but seperately. We were about to file jointly but my mom called me saying she accidently filed me as an dependent. So I didn't file with my husband for that reason. Apparently, my mother did NOT file me as an depedent. The IRS sent me a letter and form to explain why I did not file my 2010 taxes because the Board of Nursing sent my records in saying I'm a new R.N. that may have possibly worked. I didn't work at all for that entire year so I replied back with the approriate answers.

Now, should I explain in the letter why I didn't file any 2010 taxes, but my husband did, similar to my above reasonings? and how?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.