minimarja

Moving with a preschooler

6 posts in this topic

I'm moving to the U.S later this year with my preschool aged child and I was wondering if there is anyone else that has or will experience/d a move with a preschool aged child?

As a concerned mother I want to make this move as easy as possible for my child and I was hoping that some of you might have some tips. How has your move gone with your preschooler to a new country and to new people? Do you have any recommendation on how to make things go as smootly as possible? My child speaks some English, but definately not at the level as her American peers will. She has been taken care of at home so far, so the whole preschool thing will be new to her.

Also, if anyone has any info on the preschool system in the U.S, I would really appreciate you sharing it!

As I've understood some states have free preschool programs and some don't, does anyone have any info about this? My child is a USC already, so the visa stuff won't be a problem. We will move where my new husband's company sends him, so we don't know yet which state it will be yet. So really, any information is helpful!

Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated!

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Don't worry, your preschooler will be fine. The teachers here are doing a great job taking care and entertaining the kids and it is always amazing to see how kids of many different nationalities get along with each other without even understanding the language.

My daughter was born in the US, so she's not the best example, but our friend has a 5 year old who did not speak one single word in English and she adapted great. Kids pick up the language fairly quick through play and lots of interaction with other kids. If your child speaks some English that's even better and will help him/her to get settled even faster.

The most difficult thing is always the first day at a new school/daycare for both kids and parents. But usually it's getting a lot easier within a couple days and they start enjoying it so much, that they can't wait to go there.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

In North Carolina since 2005

Thank you AllYouCanEat for your kind and reassuring words! I guess I am worried since we are leaving behind my family and family friends and their children and will not know anyone besides my husband where we will move. I as an adult will be fine, but I'm concerned about taking my child to an environment that will be completely foreign to her with no familiar faces but mine and my husband's. At her age, she already has friends here and leaving them will be very sad for her.

Do you or anyone else know a good source to find comprehensive information about the preschool system in the U.S?

I assume going to preschool is rather costly in those states, that don't have the free pre-K programs, and would like have some idea of how much I should set aside for that.

Thank you again for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

Your child will be fine, it will be much easier for her than for an adult.

Regarding the cost of preschool, it depends on the state, the day care.

In NY state, for example, for WMCA a full day day can cost 800 per month. I don't think that it's so expensive in Florida or on some other locations.

Regarding free preschool, you child needs to turn 4 before december 1st (i'm not sure that it's the same for every state); also you can have free preschool, depending also on where you are living, I'm living on a suburb but my son can't go to a free preschool progamm because we don't live in the city. So next year, we will move.

So when you will know where you will live and want your child to go on a free preschool program, check with your town city school district (something like that online). And check with the closest city.

The price of a preschool program can vary greatly, so do some research to have an idea. Like california day care ( search by cities), Florida day care (example, miami...), to have some ideas...

On google, you can do a research on "how much do you pay for preschool" that will give you an idea. As you will see it vary greatly.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Sorry YMCA, I was in rush.

A link for an example :

http://rochesterymca.org/nurseryschool

You can have also different option:

http://rochesterymca.org/programs/child-care

But the first thing is to check with your central school district, for free preschool (between 15 -20 hours per week).

second , choose a location where you can have free day care

third, check with different day care around you

Many thanks MIDUVIL! I have lived in the U.S for years previously, so perhaps that's why I'm not very concerned for myself, just for my preschooler :)

I'll get back on the topic when I know where my husband will be sent.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear more experiences that any of the VJers might have about preschools in the U.S and how their preschooler adjusted!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.