AshleyLCBaker

Sydney Interview times

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm all ready to send in my i-864 and my DS-230, but I had a quick question: about how long is it taking between the case closing at the NVC and the interview time for Sydney? I just ask because we really don't want to move until January (because of our lease, my husband finishing a uni course, etc) and the whole process went a lot faster than I expected. I know we don't want to be approved before July, lest the visa expire. But, I also don't want to get an RFE or wait a long time for an interview appointment and cut it close with our expected departure.

Anyway, should I just wait a couple weeks before sending everything in? Or can I sent it in and if it gets approved and we get a too-early interview time, reschedule? I just want to get all this paperwork out of my house and out of my mind, but if I need to wait, I guess I can hold out! Hopefully this all makes sense. Thanks, y'all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello!

In our situation, we inadvertently allowed the four month time frame from NVC closing and the time we needed to send our "we are ready" for the interview to expire. Fortunately, the beneficiary can send either an e-mail to the Consulate (don't forget to copy and paste the heading with your case #, etc.) or a notarized letter stating your eligibility to still marry and your intent to do so. I (the petitioner) did both.

Here is a link to the sample letter I used to and had notarized: http://www.***removed***/visas/kvisa/i-129f-k1-fiance-petition-extension-request.html

From what I've read, anyone can request an extension for any reason. Unless the Consulate finds an outstanding reason to deny it, it should go through. So, about your paperwork, go ahead and send it and if you need to reschedule/apply for an extension- you'll be ok. smile.png

P.S. We got the interview notice 7 days after my beneficiary sent the "I am ready for my interview" papers.

Edited by RichardandKathryn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I sent my paperwork in mid-April, and my interview was scheduled for about 7 weeks after. I received the email from the consulate with the interview notice just over two weeks after sending in packet 3. (I'm doing a K-1/fiance visa.)

It used to be that people had their interviews scheduled within two weeks of sending their papers in, but towards the end of the year the wait became 2 months. Now it's a tiny bit less. If you don't want to be scheduled before July, then perhaps it is a good idea to wait a couple of weeks? You might end up getting your visa in August, but if that doesn't bother you, you're better off that way.

I'm not sure about this but I thought someone had told me you get five months to use your visa after it's approved. Initially I thought it was six but then somewhere else I was told five - now a bit confused. I have no idea whether you can ask for an extension on that - one would hope it would be possible. You could try posting again to get better answers on some of those things - sorry if I'm just making things muddier with my patchy information.

Feb 24, 2012 - NOA1

Sep 5, 2012 - RFE

Oct 22, 2012 - RFE reply sent

Nov 5, 2012 - NOA2

Nov 27, 2012 - Packet 3 received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I sent my paperwork in mid-April, and my interview was scheduled for about 7 weeks after. I received the email from the consulate with the interview notice just over two weeks after sending in packet 3. (I'm doing a K-1/fiance visa.)

It used to be that people had their interviews scheduled within two weeks of sending their papers in, but towards the end of the year the wait became 2 months. Now it's a tiny bit less. If you don't want to be scheduled before July, then perhaps it is a good idea to wait a couple of weeks? You might end up getting your visa in August, but if that doesn't bother you, you're better off that way.

I'm not sure about this but I thought someone had told me you get five months to use your visa after it's approved. Initially I thought it was six but then somewhere else I was told five - now a bit confused. I have no idea whether you can ask for an extension on that - one would hope it would be possible. You could try posting again to get better answers on some of those things - sorry if I'm just making things muddier with my patchy information.

Wow I certainly hope 7 weeks isn't the standard time! I saw some bloke on here got his interview date in Sydney 5 days after he recieved his packet 4, also in April. 2-3 weeks I can deal with but 7 is a little to much considering how long most of us have all been waiting lately.

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.