Stalar

Biometric Passports

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok for any of you that are confused by the new biometric passports that have been issued after the 26th October 2006 here is some clarification.

If you or any members of your family have a passport that was issued on or after October 26th 2006 you MUST have a visa to enter the USA (make sure you tell your wedding guests this or they will have problems getting into the USA)

If your passport was issued before October 26th 2006 and is a machine readable (sp) passport you may still enter the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme.

Just thought i'd let you all know becuase a lot of my wedding guests were confused as to what they had to do.

Dec 02 06 - Met for first time irl after 2 years of iming and telephone calls

Mar 03 06 - sent petition to Nebraska

June 06 - Petition approved sent to embassy

July 06 - Forms sent back to embassy

July 06 - Sept 06 - in USA with fiance

Oct 11 06 - Medical Interview

Nov 14 06 - Medical Approved sent to embassy

Nov 15 06 - Checklist sent to embassy

Nov 25 06 - Package 4 arrives Interview date 8th dec

Dec 08 06 - Went to Embassy got Visa yayayaya

Dec 17 06 - Flying to the USA

Jan 20 07 - Wedding date (panic)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a quote from the UK foreign office website re:travel to the US:

"Does my British passport allow me to travel under the VWP?

To enter under the VWP your passport must contain a machine-readable zone (MRZ)

at the foot of the photo page. The MRZ contains 2 lines of text as letters, numbers and chevrons (>>>). If the area is blank the passport is not machine-readable and you need to apply for a visa.

The new style passports containing a biometric chip and an MRZ are acceptable for the VWP."

Also check out the DHS website link below:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborder...1636133959.shtm

What it says is that if your passport was issued before 26th Oct 2006 then it must be machine readable to qualify for the visa waiver program (VWP). If it was issued after 26th Oct 2006 then it must have the biometrics chip to qualify for the VWP.

If either are true of your passport then you do not need a visa. If in doubt call the US embassy in London.

Edited by Lauren and Dave

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh ok well maybe they aren't being as strict as they make themselves out to sound because on the embassy website we were checking this week and it said you needed a visa with those passports.

My mistake.

Dec 02 06 - Met for first time irl after 2 years of iming and telephone calls

Mar 03 06 - sent petition to Nebraska

June 06 - Petition approved sent to embassy

July 06 - Forms sent back to embassy

July 06 - Sept 06 - in USA with fiance

Oct 11 06 - Medical Interview

Nov 14 06 - Medical Approved sent to embassy

Nov 15 06 - Checklist sent to embassy

Nov 25 06 - Package 4 arrives Interview date 8th dec

Dec 08 06 - Went to Embassy got Visa yayayaya

Dec 17 06 - Flying to the USA

Jan 20 07 - Wedding date (panic)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

here is the exact phrasing from the US Department of State website:

All VWP travelers, regardless of age or type of passport used, must present individual machine -readable passports. Previous one-time exemptions for first-time VWP travelers without MRPs ended June 26, 2005. In addition, depending on when VWP travelers’ passports were issued, other passport requirements apply:

Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after 10/26/06 – requires integrated chip with information from the data page (e-Passport).

Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended between 10/26/05 and 10/25/06 – requires digital photograph printed on the data page or integrated chip with information from the data page.

Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended before 10/26/05 – no further requirements.

Temporary, emergency, official and diplomatic passports are exempted from biometric digital photo and chip requirements, but must be machine-readable.

Therefore, if you have a machine readable or chip imbeded and your country is part of the visa waiver program, you have no problem.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.