B&L

US Citizen Moving Temporarily

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone.

So, I recently had an idea and wanted to run it by as many people as possible, and I figured you lovely bunch would be the perfect people to ask to find out of it's both possible, legally, and viable.

The idea is as follows. My US Citizen fiance is considering coming to the UK to stay while we wait for our K1 process to complete. We're about 2-3 months in, awaiting our NOA2. She's able to stay with me in my current situation.

I've read that a visitor to the UK can stay for up to six months with no requirement for a visa providing they do not work, this is fine for us. I just wanted to come and ask you guys, because as I'm sure you're all aware, being apart is tough, very tough. So any possible chance to reduce the distance between us, we'll take.

Thanks all.

K1 Timeline:

15th Feb 2013 - Mailed I-129F to CSC
21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It would be ok for her to visit the UK for up to 6 months at a time but if she did and she wasn't working would she still be able to prove she has enough income for the AOS?

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

Her current salary is only a part time salary, which doesn't meet the income requirement, so our plan is to live at her grandparent's ranch, using the savings both her and I accumulate while we're waiting (Several thousands, but not enough for the savings requirement. Enough to keep us going for a while) and use a co-sponsor for both the K1 and AOS. We're certain we can afford to do this, it's just if it'll be acceptable on an immigration level. Co-sponsors are allowed for AOS, unless I'm mistaken?

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

Yes co-sponsors are allowed. It's the only way a lot of people can meet the requirements.

I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't work. I think there are couples on here who have done it that way. Good luck.

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

Are co-sponsors allowed if the main petitioner's income is pretty much nothing? Obviously she'd find a job ASAP after we went back, but in the event that she couldn't find one and was technically unemployed, would a co-sponsor still allow us to be approved?

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

Are co-sponsors allowed if the main petitioner's income is pretty much nothing? Obviously she'd find a job ASAP after we went back, but in the event that she couldn't find one and was technically unemployed, would a co-sponsor still allow us to be approved?

I don't think it matters as long as the minimum requirement is covered.

Timeline

Alright. Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure of those things, just wanted to confirm it as I'm kinda overwhelmed with excitement that it's potentially possible!

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

Shouldn't be a problem. My fiancee has been in the UK with me since last October waiting it out. We left and went to France for a week in December which restarted her 6 months.

I came back with her from the states through immigration which i think helped. They could send her back though if she has no ties to the states. If she comes with a big bag, with no return ticket,no job in the USA and no house, it will look like she want's to come and live here.

We explained that we had applied for the K1 to the immigration officer and just basically said we were waiting out our time here until the visa arrived.

Timeline

Shouldn't be a problem. My fiancee has been in the UK with me since last October waiting it out. We left and went to France for a week in December which restarted her 6 months.

I came back with her from the states through immigration which i think helped. They could send her back though if she has no ties to the states. If she comes with a big bag, with no return ticket,no job in the USA and no house, it will look like she want's to come and live here.

We explained that we had applied for the K1 to the immigration officer and just basically said we were waiting out our time here until the visa arrived.

Does your fiance work, or did she leave a job to stay with you? I'm only asking to find out if a return ticket is a valid enough tie. Did you just book a return ticket for six months down the line, or have an open-return, or something?

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

Sorry for the delayed response. Been a busy few days.

She wasn't working. She didn't have a return ticket at all, Only a one way. I think me being there at the port of entry was a huge help.

Just have her show all of the documents for the K1 application and a return ticket.

Timeline

That's what we were thinking. The downside is obviously we're unsure when our K1 will come through entirely, but a return ticket will help her get through as I can't be with her. We can always just change the date on the ticket if need be.

So it's a good idea to be totally upfront about her visiting her foreign fiance? I know offering up this information can be risky for a foreign fiance visiting the US, so is it equally as risky for an American citizen to do this? I imagine that if she shows documents relevant to the K1 it shows that she's bringing me to the US and not planning to overstay, right?

Cheers.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

I would advise her not to lie about why she is in the the UK. Just be truthful. The immigration guys are trained well and if she's nervous when she lies they'll pick it up. We had big issues the first time she came,when we first met originally. They nearly sent her home. They called me and asked all sorts of questions.

If you have funds maybe send a bank statement to her? That way they know you have funds to support her. Cause they will ask how she can afford to not work for 6 months etc.

Tell her to have the NOA1 etc.

That's what we were thinking. The downside is obviously we're unsure when our K1 will come through entirely, but a return ticket will help her get through as I can't be with her. We can always just change the date on the ticket if need be.

So it's a good idea to be totally upfront about her visiting her foreign fiance? I know offering up this information can be risky for a foreign fiance visiting the US, so is it equally as risky for an American citizen to do this? I imagine that if she shows documents relevant to the K1 it shows that she's bringing me to the US and not planning to overstay, right?

Cheers.

Timeline

That's not a bad idea, but I dunno if a bank statement will be sufficient just because I'll be supporting her with my income as it comes in, with not having too much in my account at the time she comes. Maybe a current statement with a signed letter stating I'll support her?

The current plan is for her to explain the situation (Coming to stay with me while we wait for our K1 process to complete), provide evidence of the K1 process (NOA1), and provide a telephone number for me. Is this sufficient, or is there a good chance they'll want more? The last thing we want is for her to be sent home. I mean, I'll be in the airport when her plane lands so perhaps she could even mention this so if they really wanted they could grill me too? Would they potentially do this?

Cheers.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.