Mr Pye

USCIS Helpful on the Marriage Process steps

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guy's

I know that all this information is on the forum somewhere but another reference won't hurt. I emailed the USCIS a week or so ago before I found this forum asking a few questions about the process of marrying a US citizen.

This gent was really helpful and our correnspndence is as follows:

Message 1:

To whom it may concern,

Could you please supply me with a contact detail as I have a few questions that I would like to go over relating to the marriage to a US citizen process along with the process to gain permission to be eligible to work in the US. Or can I forward my full query to this email address?

Best regards
>Blank< Pye

Message 1 response:

Mr. Pye,

You should submit your full query to this address and we will respond accordingly.

v/r

Michael >Blank<

Message 2 and response (Michaels response in red):

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for you hasty response.

In a little under 12 months I to marry my fiancé (a US citizen) in the United States. Below I have listed the process as I understand it, although I may be incorrect. Could you please review my findings and correct me on any mistakes. Please also review my questions at the foot of the page.

• Step 1: My fiancé will submit the I-129F form (process time 5-9 months, approx.), prompting my interview here in the UK for the K1 visa (fee unknown). I understand that several other forms will be required as requested by USCIS during each process such as the I-864. Correct - your fiancé can find the fee and filing instructions for the I-129F on www.uscis.gov; click on Forms and the I-129F. If the I-129F is approved, the I-129F will be forwarded to the National Visa Center, Portsmouth NH who will contact you at your UK address to have you complete the required documentation.
  • Step 2: After obtaining the K1 visa I will then travel to the US and marry within 90 days. Correct – you will have 90 days to marry your USC fiancé.
  • Step 3: Once we are married I should submit the I-485 ($1070) and the I-765 to the address in Chicago. Correct – you need to continue to check www.uscis.gov; forms and the particular form to ascertain the updated fee at that time.
    • The I-485 will be filed to adjust your status from a non immigrant (K1) to a lawful permanent resident;
    • The I-765 is the application for the Employment Authorization card that will entitle you to work in the US.
    • Also, UNTIL the I-485 is approved; you WILL NOT be authorized to depart the United States UNLESS you have in your possession an Advanced Parole Document. The application for the Advance Parole Document is Form I-131. If you do not get the Advance Parole Document and there is an emergency that requires you to depart the United States; you will not be able to reenter the United States and your I-485 will be denied. You would then be required to obtain an immigrant visa from the U.S. Embassy to return to the United States.
  • Step 4: I will need to complete the I-693 with the aid of a surgeon specified by the USCIS. Correct
  • Step 5: Attend the Adjustment of Status interview where I will hopefully be granted a Green Card. Correct

The procedure above is as I understand it but as I wish for the process to go smoothly I would greatly appreciate clarification.

I have a few questions to the list above that I hope you can answer.

• Firstly, is this process correct and generally efficient? Yes, as stated above.
  • Secondly, do you have the answers to any of the unknown fee’s I have outlined? Fees are listed under the form from www.uscis.gov; click on forms
  • Thirdly, do you know the approximate process time for the I-485, I-765 and the I-864? Processing times are contingent on where the various forms are filed so there is no way of telling depending on where it is filed. If you look at processing times at this time for a particular office, that could change based upon various factors.
  • Finally, assuming my filed forms are successful, when will he be legally able to accept employment positions and commence work? One he has in his possession the Employment Authorization Card.

I want to thank you for taking the time out to read my questions and I would like to thank you in advance for any and all questions and information you are able to assist me with.

Sincerely,

>Blank< Pye

Manchester, UK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For step 1 - No this is incorrect. You are not contacted by NVC for any forms or documents. K-1s do nothing at the NVC stage aside from phoning to get their embassy/consul case number and asking if they mailed it to the embassy consul yet.

For step 4 - No this is also not correct. Most people do not even need to do the 693 form. You send the vaccination portion from your immigration medical in your country with your AOS application. There is NO need to redo the whole medical unless you find out your entire medical was lost by USCIS. SOME people have had to get ONLY the vaccination portion of the 693 completed as they needed more shots or did not complete a series of shots.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

VJ Guides are much more concise, detailed and accurate plus the first hand experiences of the members who have gone through the process

I do understand this...I just wanted to document the experiences as well as getting as many people as possible to contribute. But thanks for your input.

Pye

I do understand this...I just wanted to document the experiences as well as getting as many people as possible to contribute. But thanks for your input.

Pye

I dint mean to say what you posted has no bearing it's just that sometimes these USCIS guys give wrong info and because of our confidence that they should know better, we will follow what they said not knowing somewhere along the process we will make a mistake causing delays, RFEs and the likes.

Really appreciate VJ people who shares first hand experiences for us to come prepared.

Thank you too for sharing!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.