TIBERIUS REX

I'll be a new father this July. Questions on CRBA, dual citizenship, birth certificate, etc

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Greetings everyone. My future wife and I will be having a boy this July. I have a few questions:

* Dual Citizenship. I would like my son to be a dual citizen (Philippines and US). What would be the recommended procedure? Would it be easier for him to get a RP passport first then US? Or should I apply for CRBA first, get the US passport and then a RP passport for him?

* Birth Certificate. Since my lady and I aren't married yet, would my name be automatically put on the birth certificate? Or would I undergo a DNA test first?

* CRBA. I will be in Manila when our son is born but will only be able to stay 2-3 weeks. Would this be enough time to process or apply CRBA? I really don't want to put her under too much stress after child birth. Can I apply for this at the US embassy in Japan? (I am a US Navy Sailor stationed in Japan).

Any help that you guys could give me on the above questions or any tips in general since this is my first child would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Greetings everyone. My future wife and I will be having a boy this July. I have a few questions:

* Dual Citizenship. I would like my son to be a dual citizen (Philippines and US). What would be the recommended procedure? Would it be easier for him to get a RP passport first then US? Or should I apply for CRBA first, get the US passport and then a RP passport for him?

* Birth Certificate. Since my lady and I aren't married yet, would my name be automatically put on the birth certificate? Or would I undergo a DNA test first?

* CRBA. I will be in Manila when our son is born but will only be able to stay 2-3 weeks. Would this be enough time to process or apply CRBA? I really don't want to put her under too much stress after child birth. Can I apply for this at the US embassy in Japan? (I am a US Navy Sailor stationed in Japan).

Any help that you guys could give me on the above questions or any tips in general since this is my first child would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Birth Certificate: When my wife and I had our baby they did not require a DNA test to put my name on the certificate. Since you arent married yet, I am not sure but at most they'd probably just require the document affirming you are the father.

CRBA: You will have a VERY hard time to do the CRBA while you are there. To do CRBA you will need NSO authenticated birth certificate. You will need to wait a week before you get the local registrar copy of the birth certificate. Then you will need to pay to have them advance file(I forget what the exact term for it is, but I had to do this) at the municipality which the birth was filed to have them authenticate so that you can deliver to NSO. This took 2 days and we had the letter and instructions on how to deliver it to NSO. I picked it up and then you have to send via LBC(only!) to the provincial office for NSO of the province the baby is born in. Once they receive it they will probably take 1-2 weeks to process it and get it into the system. Once that is completed you should be able to go to any NSO office to apply to have it printed. Between being a father, and helping your fiancee with recovering from childbirth, you will likely not have time to start this the first week, but even if you do you make have to "buy lunch" with certain officials to try and expedite things. Also, for the LBC part I hand-delivered it to the office of the official that is supposed to do this. She was mad that I skipped the LBC part because they use this to track it. She processed it anyways but said it is against policy to do that haha. Im sure if you try that it may be an opportunity to buy someone lunch again. but could save a few days of shipping time. So basically it IS possible, but very unlikely you'd have all this done before the 3 weeks. Then you'll also need embassy appointment, apply WITH the baby present(you'll need to read requirements as I think you need passport-style photographs of both parents and the baby). If you all go together only one parent will need proper ID -- US passport/PH passport or TWO digitized Government IDs. I went with my wife to do mine and while she didnt have good enough ID, they said only 1 parent has to sign off on it! Now if you arent married before the birth, you will be much more likely to be required to DNA test unless you have really solid proof that it is yours. This collection could further delay the CRBA as it might also be appointment based. This part can be done while the application is pending so it is something that your fiancee and baby can go in together for(she'll need proper ID for this), and you could go to a separate authorized location back in Japan(they must have them somewhere, you'll have to ask) for collection.

Dual Citizenship: I havent done this part but my understanding is you should be able to get a PH passport using the NSO birth certificate(since mother is filipino) and whatever other supporting documents they would need. The US citizenship would be granted upon receiving the CRBA and with the CRBA you can apply for the passport. If you will not be present for the passport application, you will need to provide a document giving consent to apply for the passport in your absence, notarized by a US-approved notary to your fiancee when she goes to apply. I also am not sure if infants need to re-affirm their PH citizenship after gaining us citizenship, so you may need to look into that.

Hope this info helps you some, its all based on my personal experiences. I do think things might be much easier for you if the baby is born in wedlock. Mine daughter was conceived while we were engaged, but we married before she was born and had very little problem getting the CRBA(no dna test), and presented significant proof showing I was in PH at the time of conception(passport stamps, photos, ticket stubs), along with early ultrasound saying the estimated date of conception.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you Bob & Joana for that very informative and detailed reply. Based on what you've said, I don't think I'm going to try to rush a CRBA. I'd rather let her rest and enjoy my short vacation with her and the baby.

Yes, I do think things would be easier if we were married but that's another story (we're still need to complete her annulment). =/

• 2 months later...

same situation! baby was born here in the phil last nov 2012. will acquire dual citizenship as weell. congrats. interview will be on july 30

2-3 weeks vacation not enough. you might want to sign the birth cert and wait for two months to realease true copy of birth cert then thats the timw you can apply for CRBA

Also, will I have to make a Affidavit or Acknowledgement of Paternity? If so, how and where do I create it?

yep my fiance did this. you need to check this website. http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/first-time-report-of-birth-abroad7.html

gather all the application needed once you go here in the phil. have it notarize if ever just to make sure. check there the steps and procedures

Filed cr1 via dcf nov 14, 2014

Approved application nov 26, 2014

Case number december 3, 2014

-----------------------------------had personal things to do so medical and interview was delayed after a month

Medical feb 2-3 2015

Interview- feb 12 2015 APPROVED!!!!

Birth Certificate: When my wife and I had our baby they did not require a DNA test to put my name on the certificate. Since you arent married yet, I am not sure but at most they'd probably just require the document affirming you are the father.

CRBA: You will have a VERY hard time to do the CRBA while you are there. To do CRBA you will need NSO authenticated birth certificate. You will need to wait a week before you get the local registrar copy of the birth certificate. Then you will need to pay to have them advance file(I forget what the exact term for it is, but I had to do this) at the municipality which the birth was filed to have them authenticate so that you can deliver to NSO. This took 2 days and we had the letter and instructions on how to deliver it to NSO. I picked it up and then you have to send via LBC(only!) to the provincial office for NSO of the province the baby is born in. Once they receive it they will probably take 1-2 weeks to process it and get it into the system. Once that is completed you should be able to go to any NSO office to apply to have it printed. Between being a father, and helping your fiancee with recovering from childbirth, you will likely not have time to start this the first week, but even if you do you make have to "buy lunch" with certain officials to try and expedite things. Also, for the LBC part I hand-delivered it to the office of the official that is supposed to do this. She was mad that I skipped the LBC part because they use this to track it. She processed it anyways but said it is against policy to do that haha. Im sure if you try that it may be an opportunity to buy someone lunch again. but could save a few days of shipping time. So basically it IS possible, but very unlikely you'd have all this done before the 3 weeks. Then you'll also need embassy appointment, apply WITH the baby present(you'll need to read requirements as I think you need passport-style photographs of both parents and the baby). If you all go together only one parent will need proper ID -- US passport/PH passport or TWO digitized Government IDs. I went with my wife to do mine and while she didnt have good enough ID, they said only 1 parent has to sign off on it! Now if you arent married before the birth, you will be much more likely to be required to DNA test unless you have really solid proof that it is yours. This collection could further delay the CRBA as it might also be appointment based. This part can be done while the application is pending so it is something that your fiancee and baby can go in together for(she'll need proper ID for this), and you could go to a separate authorized location back in Japan(they must have them somewhere, you'll have to ask) for collection.

Dual Citizenship: I havent done this part but my understanding is you should be able to get a PH passport using the NSO birth certificate(since mother is filipino) and whatever other supporting documents they would need. The US citizenship would be granted upon receiving the CRBA and with the CRBA you can apply for the passport. If you will not be present for the passport application, you will need to provide a document giving consent to apply for the passport in your absence, notarized by a US-approved notary to your fiancee when she goes to apply. I also am not sure if infants need to re-affirm their PH citizenship after gaining us citizenship, so you may need to look into that.

Hope this info helps you some, its all based on my personal experiences. I do think things might be much easier for you if the baby is born in wedlock. Mine daughter was conceived while we were engaged, but we married before she was born and had very little problem getting the CRBA(no dna test), and presented significant proof showing I was in PH at the time of conception(passport stamps, photos, ticket stubs), along with early ultrasound saying the estimated date of conception.

correct!!! this is what im going through right now. ugh. btw how much did you pay for the advance file? how much did you pay to expedite the release of birth cert?

Edited by P_dioso

Filed cr1 via dcf nov 14, 2014

Approved application nov 26, 2014

Case number december 3, 2014

-----------------------------------had personal things to do so medical and interview was delayed after a month

Medical feb 2-3 2015

Interview- feb 12 2015 APPROVED!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.